What has gone wrong with American democracy?

Jun 2019
NC

That is what is wrong with America.
What's wrong with this picture... you think it only comes from one side but that's your perspective not reality. I don't see the left hating, I see them angry in the direction we've been going under Trump and the fact that he is representing us.

Reactions: Clara007
Apr 2019
America
What's wrong with this picture... you think it only comes from one side but that's your perspective not reality. I don't see the left hating, I see them angry in the direction we've been going under Trump and the fact that he is representing us.
If you do not see them hating it must be because you are hating with them. The rhetoric is hateful. It is designed to dehumanize Trump supporters.

Reactions: caconservative
Feb 2014
Oregon
The problem with the topic is the presumption that at ONE point (no one knows exactly when) our Democracy/Republic was perfection--or close to it. It wasn't. It never has been, for all sorts of reasons. Let's start with imperfect men creating something new, novel and move on to imperfect citizens who, in order to have a well-oiled Republic were required to have something called personal responsibility. The idea of democracy itself guarantees no success. Ill-managed, it is a letdown; well-handled, it satisfies if personal liberties are promoted, with a little help from Uncle Sam.
What good is a democracy if no one votes? What good is a democracy if one or more branches of government fail. What good is a democracy if the lawmakers, cabinet members and presidents are corrupt?

Our democracy is a work in progress. Once in a while, we get a wake-up call--like the one we got in 2016---like the ones when the Electoral College failed us. We MAY get back on track for a bit, but eventually, we retreat to our comfort zone: "Let someone else decide or step up or get involved."

Other reasons for our imperfections or failures?
*WE GREW and GREW and GREW. It must have been just a bit easier to govern when we were 50 million or even 100 million, but 330 million?
*We live longer.
*We are no longer quite so naive because our communications systems/technology has changed and improved.
*We have allowed capitalistic greed to rule this nation.
*We have allowed powerful lobbies to control our lawmakers.
*We have elected incompetent, indecent, dishonorable MEN to make our decisions.
So what DID WE expect to happen? Has that ever made nations BETTER?
AND we have a party who is convinced that progressive ideas are NEVER good. Bigger government is NEVER good. Feeding the poor is NEVER a good idea. Taking care of our environment is stupid.....etc. etc. etc.
A little help from Uncle Sam? Don't you mean a lot of help from God? Without God's blessings we would never have accomplished anything worthy, right? Shouldn't all the Chinese be taught to pray the Father in Heaven before they attempt democracy because without God's blessings humans can only achieve civilizations that last thousands of years and never come close to what we have achieved in just a little over 200 years. I don't know why Christian Europe didn't surpass our accomplishments long before there were colonies, considering they were praying to the Father in Heaven, and thought the kings were God's appointed men as the bible tells us is the way God does things and we should live.

Other reasons for our imperfections? We are born in sin and must have strong authority over us. If we want to feed the poor, then we should give more charity to the church so the church can manage the charity, or we can give alms directly to the beggars. And money belongs to the government, so we shouldn't mind our government taking it. Besides, it is much easier for the poor to get to heaven so we should not try too hard to get money and we should freely give it away if we do get it. If only our public schools taught Christianity and we became obedient then God would not have a problem taking care of all the rest.

Dec 2015
Arizona
A little help from Uncle Sam? Don't you mean a lot of help from God? Without God's blessings we would never have accomplished anything worthy, right? Shouldn't all the Chinese be taught to pray the Father in Heaven before they attempt democracy because without God's blessings humans can only achieve civilizations that last thousands of years and never come close to what we have achieved in just a little over 200 years. I don't know why Christian Europe didn't surpass our accomplishments long before there were colonies, considering they were praying to the Father in Heaven, and thought the kings were God's appointed men as the bible tells us is the way God does things and we should live.

Other reasons for our imperfections? We are born in sin and must have strong authority over us. If we want to feed the poor, then we should give more charity to the church so the church can manage the charity, or we can give alms directly to the beggars. And money belongs to the government, so we shouldn't mind our government taking it. Besides, it is much easier for the poor to get to heaven so we should not try too hard to get money and we should freely give it away if we do get it. If only our public schools taught Christianity and we became obedient then God would not have a problem taking care of all the rest.
Athena, please do not put YOUR words in MY post. I meant exactly what I said.

Jun 2019
NC
If you do not see them hating it must be because you are hating with them. The rhetoric is hateful. It is designed to dehumanize Trump supporters.
I didn't see the right object to hate as they spewed it against Obama for eight years and still do to this day. Most people get angry being lied to, to have a president lies 24/7 . He has created this lashback from his own doing, and still does, some people never learn, especially narcissistic pathological liars, go figure. I see your hate in your picture, do you? I don't hate people, I hate negative conditions that are created.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rescue Basket
Jun 2019
NC

The Egyptians lasted over two thousand years without a Christian God. The Chinese are doing fine in believing in their religion, Budda is a much more peaceful practice in self-awareness and inner consciousness than the Bible, no offense just my opinion. The Bible has some good teachings but as a whole, it causes more problems in its judgments, contradictions, and alienations.

Dec 2016
Canada
How many decades has it been since the US had anything approaching "democracy?" Almost half the US population....regularly over 40% are either unable or can't be bothered to waste a day to cast a vote that can easily be discarded or cross-checked by a range of flimsy excuses!

This is why so many people demanding real reform, are impatient and even suspicious of would-be reformers like Bernie Sanders and Liz Warren. Last time around, "reformer" Warren wouldn't endorse Bernie even though she's presenting herself as a public health insurance advocate this time around! And....whether the tag was fair or not, all Bernie did in 2016 was play the role of "sheepdog" leading the restless, unsatisfied left wing of the Democrat Party back into the Hillary Pen because..............well, Trump is worse! That wasn't good enough in 2016 for a lot of people demanding real reform, will it be enough in 2020?

Maybe if more Americans looked away from the blather on CNN or Fox News for a moment, they would notice that nearly every other country in the world that's not a one party dictatorship has a multiparty system......even up here in Canada, where we have a first-past-the-post parliamentary system. Three parties can often be a dismal choice, but at least it's better than a totally corrupt and fake two party fraud!

Apr 2019
America
I didn't see the right object to hate as they spewed it against Obama for eight years and still do to this day. Most people get angry being lied to, to have a president lies 24/7 . He has created this lashback from his own doing, and still does, some people never learn, especially narcissistic pathological liars, go figure. I see your hate in your picture, do you? I don't hate people, I hate negative conditions that are created.
The negative conditions started when the election results were not accepted. It is clearly on the shoulders of the Left. The negativity of demonizing half the voting public constantly is just one example of negativity and outright hate.

Last edited:
Aug 2019
Albuquerque, NM
Money in politics is another problem, our government is bought and paid for by the highest bidder

Super PACs being able to flood the airwaves and internet with lies and propaganda.

Jun 2019
NC
The negative conditions started when the election results were not accepted. It is clearly on the shoulders of the Left. The negativity of demonizing half the voting public constantly is just one example of negativity and outright hate.
Your opinion which I happen disagree with. You deny the hate being spewed by your own party, which as far as what I've read the far right is against people and party, all of which has been unbased accusations made up by the propaganda machinists, being against other Americans. The left have objected to one person, the person sitting in the Oval Office,Trump and for valid reasons, he can't be trusted. This is validated by the people charged and arrested in his inner circle.