What I Learned in the Peace Corps in Africa: Trump Is Right

Dec 2015
Arizona
It might be worth the time for someone else to investigate whether Peace Corp Volunteer is real or just a made up bullshit story to fit the narrative intended and found elsewhere in American Non-thinker. Because, when I go to look it up I find that FGM is considered a significant problem in two regions- one in the south and one in the northeast, while the Government and local village organizations have been working for years to stop its proliferation and bring it to an end:

and this was posted in 2008
Senegal leading the fight to end FGM in Africa
When a cluster of villages in Senegal publicly announced their decision to end the practice of female genital mutilation (FGM) in 2008, many thought it was just a theoretical gesture. Today, the country stands as an example of how to eradicate genital cutting, writes Patrick Egwu...................................

I'm not a western supremacist, of either the exploitive type, or the dogooder kind who think or at least pretend they are well-intentioned interveners in third world affairs. So, I'd be inclined to order all peace corp, NGO's and the prior generations of mind colonizers....known as missionaries back where they came from!

But, it's worth noting that the rightwing western supremacists want it both way! They want to be able to reach in to any country they choose and apply their corporate and banking interests to extract and exploit natural resources, as well as inhabitants for cheap labor! They do it in Latin America, Asia and certainly Africa as well! That's why AFRICOM was created after all!

But, what the right is pissing themselves over right now...both in America and Europe, is migration...since that's the real underlying theme of this "those people aren't like us" article. After centuries of colonization that still goes on today, Europe and America have been enriching themselves from the global south to the cost of untold billions of dollars. And they've made living conditions so bad in the global south that a mass exodus has been growing for the past 20 years because of brutal, suppressive regimes installed, genocide and as the CIA predicted 20 years ago - climate changes are starting to take effect and causing millions to try to leave home and find better places to live.

So, Europe isn't quite so liberal today....if it ever really was! We're not hearing in our news, but Italy has recently passed laws criminalizing sea rescues of desperate migrants who' try to make the dangerous crossing of the Mediterranean on overcrowded, almost un-seaworthy boats. Consider that thousands are still attempting the crossing even as an estimated 1 for every 18 die during the attempt! It still doesn't stop the crossings!

Now, Europe has a big inland ocean separating them from Africa and they still cross. How the hell does Trump and his pea-brained followers think a stupid wall....even if it was built to original plans is going to stop millions of refugees from continuing to flee the mess American foreign policy has made of the Central American Triangle? Unless they are williing to station troops armed with machine guns to mow down everyone approaching the borders, it won't work! The only solution to "border security" is genocide, whether they're willing to admit it or not!

But it's not hard to figure out the theme of the article. In fact it reminds me of a piece of drivel that was contained in an old, very old newspaper feature piece written way back in 1928. Back in the early 80's I was working for my older brother's renovation business when one day, while tearing out the walls of an old two story, three bedroom house built in the 20's, we were able to confirm that the major part of the build was in 1928, when we found this old newspaper from that year that some worker had left behind in the partitions, when they put wallboard and stucco over and sealed it into the air space. We were both amazed at the near pristine condition of this old newspaper....it didn't rot or even yellow much...telling us that the house was well-built and still in excellent condition. Breaking in to walls is one of the queezy moments for renovators, because everything can look good until you go in.
All that aside - The Newspaper, a local daily was a snapshot of life long before we were born and this article written by some missionary's wife about their times and travails while living in North Africa was in retrospect, the most condescending piece of crap I had ever read in my life! The style and attitude, intended at the time to encourage more donations and interest in missionary work to SAVE these non-Christians and bring them to Jesus followed the same themes that rightwingers have been applying since War on Terror and Responsibility to Protect wars have been carried out ever since! Though R2P has been an ideology followed by liiberal pro-interventionists also.

Recall how 'saving' or 'helping' THEIR women was the big excuse for so many interventions, and Time Magazine didn't realize until to late that they were in backlash territory until they posted an issue featuring the cover picture of a woman who's nose was cut off by Taleban militants - with the headline: Why We Fight! Oh, so we're still in Afghanistan to fight the Taleban forces we supported to overthow a secular Marxist and Soviet-supported regime and continued to allow Pakistan to fund their takeover of the entire country.....but now we got to go fight them and install a bunch of reformers apparently! Did the lives of women in Afghanistan improve after the invasion in 2001 or in any years since then? The only time Afghanistan makes the news today is when Trump drops 'The Mother of All Bombs' somewhere or muses about dropping nukes and killing 10 million Afghanis........otherwise.......maybe he's trying to figure out a way to stop the ongoing exodus from Afghanistan today!
What? What in the world does female mutilation have to do with an article about the Peace Corp?

Dec 2015
Arizona
As with so many things posted on American Stinker, I have questions. First, why is an experience from 1971 being published in 2018? How would something from over 40 years ago be relevant to 2018-19 politics and remember the title is "What I learned in the Peace Corp: Trump is right." This whole thing makes absolutely no sense.
Second, let me stress that politicizing the Peace Corp is unconscionable. It's like Dr. James Dobson politicizing the children in cages just to praise Trump. The PC is an independent agency of the United States government.

More than 7,000 Peace Corps volunteers serve around the world in approximately 70 countries in Latin America, Africa, and Asia. They do it to serve our nation. The volunteers (for the most part) live in squalid conditions, exposed to every disease imaginable and work their tails off in agriculture/with farmers, teach in shabby schools with little or no supplies, dig ditches and build water systems, promote good nutrition, basic hygiene and water sanitation....during their 2 years of service with 3 months of training in D.C. they make almost no salary.

Third, some women have a very difficult time living with these conditions. Cultural norms are different. Women can be seen as subordinate to patriarchal societies and their safety isn't always guaranteed. Just having enough sanitary supplies can be daunting. Because of these issues, many women can't stay the full two years. It's a pretty miserable existence.

Fourth, living in these 3rd world countries can be heartbreaking. Our son was in a small village in Honduras. He lived in a bug-infested, cinder block house with a dirt floor--although it did have a bathroom. Children and dogs wandered freely. The children had no shoes or toys. Time after time village women would approach our son and beg him to take their children to America or MARRY their daughters.

We owe these volunteers a debt of gratitude for investing over 2 years of their young lives to the global community. They are NOT politically-driven people. They are people who WANT to make a difference--they want to make the world better in some small corner. Do they appreciate the U.S. when they return? Of course, but they also see the waste--the opulence--the luxuries we have--the abundance.....and feel guilty.

Jun 2018
La Pine, Oregon
And I can see your Nazi and KKK masters have taught you well.
Well, that is twice now, once when posting your irrational bull shit, and once in response to my query, that you have not provided a source for your limited IQ opinion. But that is what your avatar is all about, the IQ of a chimp, and the temperment of an ass. Of course, we all know how much easier UNICEF, the Peace Corps, and others, have made it for the "primitives" to live in mud huts, with no electricity, no medical care, no food supply, al;l of those things fools like you take for granted in your version of humanity which means nothing for others, just you, and the 1%.

Aug 2019
De Congo
Well, that is twice now, once when posting your irrational bull shit, and once in response to my query, that you have not provided a source for your limited IQ opinion. But that is what your avatar is all about, the IQ of a chimp, and the temperment of an ass. Of course, we all know how much easier UNICEF, the Peace Corps, and others, have made it for the "primitives" to live in mud huts, with no electricity, no medical care, no food supply, al;l of those things fools like you take for granted in your version of humanity which means nothing for others, just you, and the 1%.
Stop making excuses for people who have walked the Earth twice as long and sat on top of abundant resources far longer than the more recent breeds of man.
There are no species of any mammal [that I know of] where all the breeds [races] of the same species ended up with no superior or inferior traits..both mental and physical.
So deal with it and if you can't that's your problem.

Jun 2018
La Pine, Oregon
Stop making excuses for people who have walked the Earth twice as long and sat on top of abundant resources far longer than the more recent breeds of man.
There are no species of any mammal [that I know of] where all the breeds [races] of the same species ended up with no superior or inferior traits..both mental and physical.
So deal with it and if you can't that's your problem.
And a third time passes and the mental chimp can not cite any source for his bull shit, just more bull shit.

I can deal with a lot of things, however, lies, and bull shit, are not included.

Aug 2019
De Congo
And a third time passes and the mental chimp can not cite any source for his bull shit, just more bull shit.

I can deal with a lot of things, however, lies, and bull shit, are not included.
Name 10 species of mammal where all the breeds [races] ended up without any physical or intellectual superiorities or inferiorities.
We both know you can't name even one, yet you cling to your hopelessly brainwashed beliefs that there are no general superior or inferior traits between the races of humans. At least some brainwashed sheeple will acknowledge the obvious physical superiorities / inferiorities between the races but are unwilling to acknowledge that any intellectual differences / tendencies exist.
In their One World Globalist brainwashed minds evolutionary differences must only occur from the neck down..LOL.

Jul 2019
SoCal
Name 10 species of mammal where all the breeds [races] ended up without any physical or intellectual superiorities or inferiorities.
We both know you can't name even one, yet you cling to your hopelessly brainwashed beliefs that there are no general superior or inferior traits between the races of humans. At least some brainwashed sheeple will acknowledge the obvious physical superiorities / inferiorities between the races but are unwilling to acknowledge that any intellectual differences / tendencies exist.
In their One World Globalist brainwashed minds evolutionary differences must only occur from the neck down..LOL.
We are one race, and some are more capable than others as with any population of mammal.

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee

I think you;ve confused me with some one else. YOU haven't queried me about anything I haven't replied to anything you've posted in this thread.