What is Morality, Where Does it Come From?

Nov 2012
Michigan
There is no “transcendent” morality (that is a morality that comes from outside of the human experience).
Morality is just another area of human knowledge that we build upon over years and centuries.
“Build upon” means humanity has made progress. But that means there is a yardstick outside of human experience that progress, or the lack of it, is being measured against. A contradiction.

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
Along those lines, if one wishes to invent a "force" that did all those things fine. But there is no way in the world, and no evidence anywhere that this "force" gives a rat's ass about any one of us or will help any one of us at all.

The good news is it therefore also doesn't go out of it's way to particularly fuck you like the bible says god did to Job.
You know why you feel that God does not care aabout you.. is because you don't give a rats ass about anyone else.

You idea if Charity is giving away everyone else's money. or Someone Else do it.. while you sit on your but bitching about your "Christian exwife doing charity work helping others)

Apr 2013
Left coast
Build upon does mean there has been progress

Progress means morality now among humans is better than it used to be.

Better means better

“No”? I don’t get it.
It's the yardstick outside of human experience I'm objecting to. But you knew that.

Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
“Build upon” means humanity has made progress. But that means there is a yardstick outside of human experience that progress, or the lack of it, is being measured against. A contradiction.
No, it means that as humans we have refined the philosophy of morality so it causes less harm to fellow human beings. We have discovered more of our humanity by being less shitty to other humans.

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
No, it means that as humans we have refined the philosophy of morality so it causes less harm to fellow human beings. We have discovered more of our humanity by being less shitty to other humans.
really.. show me all those Athiest hospitals atheists have built to help cure diseases and relieve suffering of others

All those Atheist food banks, that are feeding the hungry.

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
Does morality “come from” religion? No. If it did that would mean the most immoral societies are the least secular. I point to Japan to refute that notion. They are the most least religious nation in the world and have one of the lowest crime rates.

Can religious doctrines provide a better moral foundation? Yes. There is something to be said about teaching that encourage feeding the poor, caring for the sick, helping thy neighbor, etc. Even the act of getting together as a community for a common pipe pose once a week has great benefit to society.

Can atheists have a solid moral foundation? Of course. As an atheist I get my morals from a shared knowledge that we as a society live and work together and if I expect my community to help me I must help my community. We as a species are social by nature and must look out for one another.

This issue really isn’t as complicated as people make it out to be.