What is Morality, Where Does it Come From?

Nov 2012
Michigan
But you have the evolved instinct of empathy. Not wanting to harm others is an evolved trait.
Which some people don’t have, so since you allow for no transcendent value to morality, you have no rational to call anyone evil....... yet sometimes you do.

Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
Which some people don’t have, so since you allow for no transcendent value to morality, you have no rational to call anyone evil....... yet sometimes you do.
What a crock.
Human evolution resulted in the ability to see, if someone is born without the ability to see I call them blind.
Human evolution resulted in empathy, if someone is born without empathy and they murder people I call them evil

Dec 2015
Arizona
There are millions of non-believers who are extraordinarily MORAL people. How do you explain that?
There are millions of people who believe in different gods and they TOO are moral people. Explain that.

A child living in poverty has different moral behavior than a child living in luxury. The morals that we teach our children today directly determines their behavior towards us tomorrow. Everything that we are as individuals, in one way or another, is a learned response from society-at-large. Religion may guide some of the people, some of the time--but it's no guarantee and never was.
Trump says he's a Christian. Evangelicals say Trump was chosen by God and yet Donald J Trump is one of the most immoral men I've ever seen.

Nov 2012
Michigan
There are millions of non-believers who are extraordinarily MORAL people. How do you explain that?
There are millions of people who believe in different gods and they TOO are moral people. Explain that.

A child living in poverty has different moral behavior than a child living in luxury. The morals that we teach our children today directly determines their behavior towards us tomorrow. Everything that we are as individuals, in one way or another, is a learned response from society-at-large. Religion may guide some of the people, some of the time--but it's no guarantee and never was.
Trump says he's a Christian. Evangelicals say Trump was chosen by God and yet Donald J Trump is one of the most immoral men I've ever seen.
Morality is written on our hearts by God. We know when we have pleased him even if we don’t him. Even atheists can and do act morally and at some level are capable of knowing when they have acted immorally.

God takes pleasure in acting contrary to human biases. David was an adulterer and murderer, yet God still used him.

Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
Morality is written on our hearts by God. We know when we have pleased him even if we don’t him. Even atheists can and do act morally and at some level are capable of knowing when they have acted immorally.

God takes pleasure in acting contrary to human biases. David was an adulterer and murderer, yet God still used him.
You can claim that morality is “written on our hearts by God”, actually providing any evidence that this is true...not so much.

May 2018
USA

How fortunate you must be to have been born in just the right time and place to be brought up in the one true religion, huh?

Morality is what the tribe (leaders) thinks is good for them.
Some like many wives, some like to stone stuff, some used to think that human sacrifice is good for appeasing the gods, some think that walking around naked on the beach is good for Vitamin D, some think that they should be covered from head to toe. It depends.

Most of them agree that lying, stealing and killing is not a good idea.
Could walking around the beach naked be stealing and killing the innocence of others? Or maybe even lying to them that being naked in front of strangers is okay, if you were a tourist? But I can understand that being in a certain tribe with a certain leader would mean that the norms would be accepted since grandparents' or great grandparents' or great-great grandparents' days.

What a crock.
Human evolution resulted in the ability to see, if someone is born without the ability to see I call them blind.
Human evolution resulted in empathy, if someone is born without empathy and they murder people I call them evil
evil and wicked... are not really the same. a flat tire while needing to really get somewhere could be a very great 'evil'/misfortune. But if I really had to get somewhere and the tires were intentionally blown out, that would be wicked.