What is the acceptable way to tell people here to go f*ck themselves?

Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
Depends on the evidence they provide. If someone says the climate is not changing because there’s snow on the ground, they’re a fucking moron. If they say they’re unconvinced because every climate prediction has come in under what scientists projected, then there’s a conversation to be had. Again, knowing WHY someone believes what they believe is as/more important than knowing what they believe.
in many nations holocaust denial or advocating genocide is illegal, but as much as it disturbs me to hear such hateful rhetoric i'm not even sure that should be a jailable offense. perhaps a fine or a warning, i'm very torn on the issue of hatespeech from what i have heard its been abused in europe to the point people are afraid to say anythng

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
in many nations holocaust denial or advocating genocide is illegal, but as much as it disturbs me to hear such hateful rhetoric i'm not even sure that should be a jailable offense. perhaps a fine or a warning, i'm very torn on the issue of hatespeech from what i have heard its been abused in europe to the point people are afraid to say anythng
The difficulty with legislating/containing hate speech is how to define it. Even language that encourages violence can be tricky.

If we were to make hate speech punishable by law, which of the below statements would qualify:

"All Muslims are terrorists"
"The majority of Saudi Muslims believe in Sharia Law"
"We must shoot all Muslim terrorists"
"We must protect ourselves from Muslim extremists"

I should again reiterate I do not encourage any of these statements (knowing my luck someone will quote me and just cut that one part out). But I have a hard time saying statement X is punishable while statement Y is not.

Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
The difficulty with legislating/containing hate speech is how to define it. Even language that encourages violence can be tricky.

If we were to make hate speech punishable by law, which of the below statements would qualify:

"All Muslims are terrorists"
"The majority of Saudi Muslims believe in Sharia Law"
"We must shoot all Muslim terrorists"
"We must protect ourselves from Muslim extremists"

I should again reiterate I do not encourage any of these statements (knowing my luck someone will quote me and just cut that one part out). But I have a hard time saying statement X is punishable while statement Y is not.
agreed where do we draw the line and WHO decides WHAT is acceptable there have to be limits but they shoud be set at the extremes, not just the offensive violent threats must be actionable

Mar 2017
Massachusetts
Words don’t need to be suppressed but should be productive.
The truth is more important than productivity. And besides, who are you to decide what is and is not considered productive? What if those most important words you could hear is everyone calling you an fucking idiot? Wouldn't that be productive?