What I've Learned From the Coronavirus Crisis

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
I agree, the federal government's initial handling of the testing was a failure.

Thank goodness the private sector was there to make up for the shortcomings.
Where are all these kits the private sector saved us with?

Reactions: Rescue Basket

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
It is misleading to call that column titled "Tot cases/1M pop" the "per capita infection rate."

More accurately, it is the "per capita reported confirmed case rate" since the "Tot cases/1M pop" column data is not a measure of how many people in those countries have actually become infected.

And, the actual "per capita infection rate," as you called it, could be significantly higher in countries-like the US-which haven't enforced population isolation as greatly when compared with other countries, including Italy.
It's also early in the US exposure. I saw a neat graph of the number of infections in the US compared to Italy but on the horizontal scale they equalized on when 10 cases were seen. The two lines overlapped. This was up to about the time Italy started its total shutdown.

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
And of course the scam artists move in. And this should be a capital offense.

Customs at LA airport discovered a shipment of thousands of vials marked "Home Covid-19 test kit". They contain a few CCs of distilled water.

Can you just see someone taking that test, surprise, suprise it doesn't change color so they figure they're good to go out and sneeze on other people.

• Sad
Reactions: Gordy