What makes your body or your brain "yours"?

Oct 2019
USA
I'm curious what makes your body or your brain "yours" to begin with.

From a scientific perspective, the brain is made from a collection of molecules, or on a physical level, matter and energy - just like any other physical entity. Scientifically then, "your" brain would be no different than "another person's" brain.

So what makes your brain "yours" to begin with? The concept of "you" or "yours" doesn't seem to even exist within the scope of science.

Feb 2019
here and there
It's not, the government owns everything I thought. They can demand you pay them money on a whim or force you to go fight in battle and die, etc.

Obama even sent drones to murder US citizens without due process.

That leads me to the question, is it really murder? I mean, if your life is not really "yours" then who can say Obama murdered people?

Oct 2019
USA
It's not, the government owns everything I thought. They can demand you pay them money on a whim or force you to go fight in battle and die, etc.

Obama even sent drones to murder US citizens without due process.

That leads me to the question, is it really murder? I mean, if it's not really "yours" then who can say Obama murdered people?
That's totally off-topic.

Aug 2019
Albuquerque, NM
I'm curious what makes your body or your brain "yours" to begin with.

From a scientific perspective, the brain is made from a collection of molecules, or on a physical level, matter and energy - just like any other physical entity. Scientifically then, "your" brain would be no different than "another person's" brain.

So what makes your brain "yours" to begin with? The concept of "you" or "yours" doesn't seem to even exist within the scope of science.
Your description of the brain is much too simplistic, and not every brain is the same. In fact, the brain is probably as unique as a fingerprint, if not more. Even identical twins will have different brains. Maybe the components are the same, the molecules, but what really makes a person a person, or make the brain unique, is the neuron connections. New experiences are stored as memory by making new connections. So each person will experience things differently and have different neural connections. But then there is more to that, the amounts of neurotransmitters, endorphins, hormones that your body produces can help determine personality

As an aside, I love your thread topics Inquisitor

Oct 2019
USA
Your description of the brain is much too simplistic, and not every brain is the same. In fact, the brain is probably as unique as a fingerprint, if not more. Even identical twins will have different brains. Maybe the components are the same, the molecules, but what really makes a person a person, or make the brain unique, is the neuron connections. New experiences are stored as memory by making new connections. So each person will experience things differently and have different neural connections. But then there is more to that, the amounts of neurotransmitters, endorphins, hormones that your body produces can help determine personality
I agree that they wouldn't be perfectly identical except in theory.

Even then, that wouldn't answer what makes your brain "yours".

(For example, two Chevrolet Camaros might not be identical on the molecular level - let's say you owned one, and your neighbor owned another - even then, if asked what made your car "yours" - saying that the molecular structure makes it "yours" wouldn't make sense.)

Jun 2018
Toronto
If psychology is considered science, here is what I respect the most as theory:
Sigmund Freud's: The Preconscious, Conscious, and Unconscious Minds

If you talk about the technical functioning of the brain there is a vast amount of research available easily, it boils down to a comparison with computers: computers are also just a bunch of atoms clumped togehter, but they have structure, software and powered with electricity they do more than just sit there. They are not self-aware of course in the human sense, but they can sense if something is wrong like triggering anti-virus programs. :) Probably it's just a matter of complexity.

For biological systems complexity increases through evolution.

Aug 2019
Albuquerque, NM
I agree that they wouldn't be perfectly identical except in theory.

Even then, that wouldn't answer what makes your brain "yours".

(For example, two Chevrolet Camaros might not be identical on the molecular level - let's say you owned one, and your neighbor owned another - even then, if asked what made your car "yours" - saying that the molecular structure makes it "yours" wouldn't make sense.)
The neural connections makes you, you. The way the neurons interconnect and communicate with each other. And now that I think about it, even the hormones, neurotransmitters I mentioned above affect neuronal communication

If you sever some of those connections, like in a brain injury, a person's personality can completely change. Hormones can cahnge people's personalities as well