What purpose does it serve to win a debate?

Nov 2017
What purpose does it serve to win a debate? I'm basically referring to where there's an audience that votes. It doesn't seem to prove anything other than that more people in the audience are on your side, or that you're able to persuade people to your side.

If I were to debate that 2+2=5, and I persuade most of the audience to agree with me, that doesn't make 2+2=5 anymore true that it already is (i.e., false, not true at all).

Apr 2013
Left coast
What purpose does it serve to win a debate? I'm basically referring to where there's an audience that votes. It doesn't seem to prove anything other than that more people in the audience are on your side, or that you're able to persuade people to your side.

If I were to debate that 2+2=5, and I persuade most of the audience to agree with me, that doesn't make 2+2=5 anymore true that it already is (i.e., false, not true at all).
Although he was part of an administration that I detested for all the lies they told (now made to look perfectly harmless compared to the present Dotard), I loved watching the press briefings of Donald Rumsfeld during the Iraq war. He was very witty and a great speaker.

At one point a reporter asked him a leading question. He responded in words to the effect:

You have used impeccable logic to reach a totally incorrect conclusion because you started with an incorrect premise.
I think debating effectively can affect change. I was changed by encountering people who debated factually and showed that my opinions were incorrect.

Oct 2010
Colorado

Have you ever played poker?

Dec 2015
Arizona
Often times debates don't need to have a winner or loser. In fact, there is limited evidence to suggest that the debate swings the voters, although the undecided voter MAY be influenced.
In my opinion, the point of political debate is 3-fold: 1) To inform the public of the candidate's policies/opinions. 2) Present opportunities for the voters to fact-check the candidates statements and 3) To observe HOW the candidates perform under pressure--their verbal skills, their knowledge base, their character and their ability to lead.

Sep 2015
Brown Township, Ohio

2 + 2 = 5

This has been proved to me even though counterintuitive.

Mar 2008
australia
i dont expect my debates on this, or any other forum, to actually change anyones point of view. it does however force me to brush up my arguments. debating makes me review evidence, check facts, clarify what is known vs claimed, and that is a good thing to do. in fact, doing that has on occasion caused me to change my position.

Nov 2012
Rhondda
Doesn't it depend what the debate is for? If you want to wake up working people to what's what, tell the truth and let the opposition rant, rant, rant, until its nature becomes evident, then get the silent people organised to get shot of the scumbags.

Dec 2018
Unionville Indiana
What purpose does it serve to win a debate?

Why, for the sheer pleasure of watching the cognitive dissonance, confusion and humiliation on the faces of the RW Trumpsters, of course