What the Innocence Project can teach us about sexual assault allegations

Dec 2013
Everything is going to be OK
But the Innocence Project, which was founded in 1992, has demonstrated through DNA testing that there are numerous cases of men sent to jail because they were wrongly convicted of sexual assault.

The organization boasts of 362 DNA exonerees to date, people who spent years, and in many cases decades, behind bars because they were convicted of a crime - murder, rape, assault, etc. - they did not commit.

Moreover, the organization's efforts using DNA to clear innocent people have helped identify 158 real perpetrators, who were later "convicted of 150 additional violent crimes, including 80 sexual assaults," according to the Innocence Project.

In news reports of those cases in which men were wrongly convicted of sexual assault, including rape, the victim identified the accused. Indeed the Innocence Project claims, "Mistaken eyewitness identifications contributed to approximately 70% of the more than 350 wrongful convictions in the United States overturned by post-conviction DNA evidence."

What the Innocence Project can teach us about sexual assault allegations

Jul 2014
massachusetts
There is a difference between an eyewitness identification of a stranger, and the identification of a person well known to you.

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
NO ONE is saying false accusations or misidentifications don't occur. And I fully support the innocence project.

But here are some sobering facts. Since 1992 there have been 8.3 MILLION sexual assaults reported. If as some estimates suggest only 50% of assaults are reported then there have been 16.6 MILLION sexual assaults committed. If as some reports claim only 10% of assaults are reported then more than 83 MILLION assaults have occurred.

Out of potentially 83 million sexual assaults we have roughly 80 men found innocent of their alleged sex crimes ?? That's .00000096%

What the innocence project tells us is that very damned few men are sent to prison for sexual crimes they didn't commit.

Nov 2012
Kekistan
NO ONE is saying false accusations or misidentifications don't occur. And I fully support the innocence project.

But here are some sobering facts. Since 1992 there have been 8.3 MILLION sexual assaults reported. If as some estimates suggest only 50% of assaults are reported then there have been 16.6 MILLION sexual assaults committed. If as some reports claim only 10% of assaults are reported then more than 83 MILLION assaults have occurred.

Out of potentially 83 million sexual assaults we have roughly 80 men found innocent of their alleged sex crimes ?? That's .00000096%

What the innocence project tells us is that very damned few men are sent to prison for sexual crimes they didn't commit.
Actually out of the reported 8.3 million reported cases how many end up in conviction? This is the problem. Its not right nor is it fair to just say that every report of rape is true. Especially reports that were investigated and no arrest was made or failed to end in a conviction. The only way to actually get a handle on the actual numbers and actually bring sex crime offenders to justice is to report it when it happens
#teachwomentoreportrape

Nov 2005
California
Actually out of the reported 8.3 million reported cases how many end up in conviction? This is the problem. Its not right nor is it fair to just say that every report of rape is true. Especially reports that were investigated and no arrest was made or failed to end in a conviction.
Wow.
Just wow!

What a way to turn a systematic problem whereby victims of rape can be re-victimized by the judicial process and turn that into a pretense that the rape never even happened.
Reports that were investigated and repudiated by the investigation have grounds for saying it never happened.
"No arrest" and "no conviction" is a profoundly bad standard for this.
By this line of thinking, Nicole Simpson never died because nobody was convicted of her murder...

The only way to actually get a handle on the actual numbers and actually bring sex crime offenders to justice is to report it when it happens
#teachwomentoreportrape
Your approach of claiming there is an argument for saying rape didn't happen if there is no conviction or arrest is incredibly counter-productive to that goal.

"Victims are often too ashamed to come forward. Sexual assault is a very humiliating and dehumanizing act against someone. The person really feels invaded and defiled, and there is a lot of shame attached to that," Engel told ABC News.​
She continued, "Attached to that shame is a lot of self-blame. Victims of sexual assault almost always blame themselves, and we can understand why, because in our culture, we tend to blame victims in general. We say things like, 'She shouldn't have been wearing that kind of outfit, she shouldn't have drank so much, why did she go to that party?' We find some reason to blame the victim."​
Those narratives, especially whether a woman had been drinking or not, have been at play in the discussions of the women who have accused Kavanaugh, Engel said. In addition to shame and self-blame, many survivors don't report because they fear retaliation or worry that they will not be believed.​
One out of every six women in the U.S. and one out of every 33 men has been the victim of an attempted or completed rape in his or her lifetime, according to an analysis of 2010 to 2014 Bureau of Justice Statistics by the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN), the nation's largest anti-sexual violence organization.​
Why more women don't report sexual assaults: A survivor speaks out

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
That's because you have no integrity and you project that on everyone, because that's what you'd do in the circumstance, not everyone is like you

I have integrity I believe people deserve due process.

I cant remember where

I cant remember when

I cant remember how I got there

I can't remember how I left

But I rmember kavanaugh Just ask these 4 people they were their.

Send money to my Go Fund me Account.. to pay for my pro bono lawyers.

4 people she named, (we don't know what she is talking about)

Yawn