What the Innocence Project can teach us about sexual assault allegations

Nov 2012
Kekistan
Actually out of the reported 8.3 million reported cases how many end up in conviction? This is the problem. Its not right nor is it fair to just say that every report of rape is true. Especially reports that were investigated and no arrest was made or failed to end in a conviction. The only way to actually get a handle on the actual numbers and actually bring sex crime offenders to justice is to report it when it happens
#teachwomentoreportrape
Wow.
Just wow!

What a way to turn a systematic problem whereby victims of rape can be re-victimized by the judicial process and turn that into a pretense that the rape never even happened.
Reports that were investigated and repudiated by the investigation have grounds for saying it never happened.
"No arrest" and "no conviction" is a profoundly bad standard for this.
By this line of thinking, Nicole Simpson never died because nobody was convicted of her murder...
No, Nicole Simpson died because her dead body was found, with her head nearly decapitated. Poor analogy on your part.

Your approach of claiming there is an argument for saying rape didn't happen if there is no conviction or arrest is incredibly counter-productive to that goal.
I never said rape did not happen. What I did express is that there is no more proof of it happening than it not happening.
"Victims are often too ashamed to come forward. Sexual assault is a very humiliating and dehumanizing act against someone. The person really feels invaded and defiled, and there is a lot of shame attached to that," Engel told ABC News.
She continued, "Attached to that shame is a lot of self-blame. Victims of sexual assault almost always blame themselves, and we can understand why, because in our culture, we tend to blame victims in general. We say things like, 'She shouldn't have been wearing that kind of outfit, she shouldn't have drank so much, why did she go to that party?' We find some reason to blame the victim."​
Those narratives, especially whether a woman had been drinking or not, have been at play in the discussions of the women who have accused Kavanaugh, Engel said. In addition to shame and self-blame, many survivors don't report because they fear retaliation or worry that they will not be believed.​
Another great argument to teach women to report rape​
One out of every six women in the U.S. and one out of every 33 men has been the victim of an attempted or completed rape in his or her lifetime, according to an analysis of 2010 to 2014 Bureau of Justice Statistics by the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN), the nation's largest anti-sexual violence organization.
Actually that statistic came from National Institute of Justice & Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, Prevalence, Incidence and Consequences of Violence Against Women Survey (1998). The way that number gets used is very misleading, assuming its even true, which is very debatable. For starters that 18% number does not imply that 18% of women will be raped in any given year. Although its trumpeted like that, the survey, and it was a survey, not a study, asks have you ever. It includes all age groups. Furthermore, it used estimates to ascertain the 18% of the entire population number. If you do use their numbers, it actually puts rape at about .3% of the female population per year. This is all assumed off of a survey, not a study, of phone calls, to 8000 people.​
https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles/172837.pdf
Example of the lead question​
[Female respondents only] Has a man
or boy ever made you have sex by using
force or threatening to harm you or
someone close to you? Just so there is
no mistake, by sex we mean putting a
penis in your vagina.
Ok, by using force is pretty plain. What does threaten to harm you or someone close to you mean? Does it mean threaten to physically harm you? Could a respondent assign another meaning to harm? Such as, what if he breaks up with me for not having sex? Could that be interpreted as harm? Ok, but, ironically that is the only question that you see the term harm anywhere on the survey. The rest of the questions say this.
Has anyone, male or female, ever
made you have oral sex by using force or
threat of force?
as example
Why do they switch to saying force or threat of force and away from the term harm? The term harm is very misleading and can be construed different ways in my opinion. Harming what? Harming me, harming our "relationship", harming how you feel about me?

Why not leave simple wording in place? Force or threat of force. That covers it. Why do this word game of throwing in the term harm? Or even the phrase someone close to you.

Jul 2014
massachusetts
I have integrity I believe people deserve due process.

I cant remember where

I cant remember when

I cant remember how I got there

I can't remember how I left

But I rmember kavanaugh Just ask these 4 people they were their.

Send money to my Go Fund me Account.. to pay for my pro bono lawyers.

4 people she named, (we don't know what she is talking about)

Yawn
People with integrity don't lie as much as you do, you got a reputation dude, own it.

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
I have integrity I believe people deserve due process.

I cant remember where

I cant remember when

I cant remember how I got there

I can't remember how I left

But I rmember kavanaugh Just ask these 4 people they were their.

Send money to my Go Fund me Account.. to pay for my pro bono lawyers.

4 people she named, (we don't know what she is talking about)

Yawn

A close friend of mine, right here in Nashville, posted on her face book the explicit details of a sexual assault and how she fought it off one evening. It happened in the back of a car more than 40 years ago. She has an extremely clear memory of the assault, and the WHO. What she can't tell is the exact date, other than she was 15 and it was a Saturday evening. Nor can she tell the address of the house hosting the party she had just left, or the make or model of the car in which she was assaulted, nor the road they were driving on when it began.

Anyone that's ever been in a serious situation will remember the details of the incident, what was happening and what they did in response to it. But tunnel vision caused by the situation leave many less important detail out of our memory.

IF the story of your daughter confronting a home invader is true, I'd bet my next paycheck there are LOTS of details she can't remember.