What worth does atheism have outside of society?

Oct 2019
USA
I've heard athiests use this argument before, that a belief, idea or value only has truth or worth within the context of society.

By that silly logic then, atheism has no truth worth in a society such as America, where most people believe in God.

Or likewise, the "round earth theory" has no truth or worth within the "Flat Earth Society".

Would an atheist care to address this silly notion?

Jun 2018
Toronto
- I consider myself somewhat atheistically inclined and I don't dismiss the worth of any idea, even religion has a lot of positive worth in moderate non-fundamentalist shape.

- Truth does not equal worth

- Can you provide a link where this was put forward by someone, who is not just posting stuff on internet forums, otherwise it would look like a cheap strawman attempt.

Reactions: RNG and Inquisitor
Oct 2019
USA
- I consider myself somewhat atheistically inclined and I don't dismiss the worth of any idea, even religion has a lot of positive worth in moderate non-fundamentalist shape.

- Truth does not equal worth

- Can you provide a link where this was put forward by someone, who is not just posting stuff on internet forums, otherwise it would look like a cheap strawman attempt.
I don't have a link, it's just something I recall having heard before.

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
I was just about to say sounds like a strawman to me.

Sep 2019
U.S.A.
I don't have a link, it's just something I recall having heard before.
I once heard someone, somewhere, claim to be an alien....I dismissed it as irrelevant as you should this. Perhaps you should understand that every single Atheist on Earth thinks differently than every other and that Atheism is just not believing in YOUR God. You are Atheist to Muslims.

Oct 2019
USA
I once heard someone, somewhere, claim to be an alien....I dismissed it as irrelevant as you should this. Perhaps you should understand that every single Atheist on Earth thinks differently than every other and that Atheism is just not believing in YOUR God. You are Atheist to Muslims.
That's not an apt comparison. Not believing in any God is different than simply rejecting a specific god or religion.

Sep 2019
U.S.A.
That's not an apt comparison. Not believing in any God is different than simply rejecting a specific god or religion.
No, it is not. You are an Atheist to every religion and God but your own. You just believe in one more God than I do.

Jun 2018
Toronto
No, it is not. You are an Atheist to every religion and God but your own. You just believe in one more God than I do.
A-theist means non-believer, it's not tied to any deity. If you believe in non-zero amount of gods, you are NOT an A-theist.

Sep 2019
U.S.A.
A-theist means non-believer, it's not tied to any deity. If you believe in non-zero amount of gods, you are NOT an A-theist.
Actually, As an Atheist I simply do not believe in any MANMADE Gods....call me agnostic if it makes you feel better but every single version to date was created by humans.

Reactions: leekohler2
Dec 2018
Wisconsin
As a theist, what do you believe and why do you believe it? You’ve created 10+ threads taking shots at atheism, science, secularism, but from what I’ve seen you’re yet to say what you believe.

would you like to have a a discussion or do you just want to be heard?