When a fetus becomes human

Feb 2019
here and there
As we all know, those who are religion try to tell us that there is no God and we are not really made in the image of God, therefore, life is not sacred and a pregnancy is nothing short of an accident. In fact, losing a fetus is akin to going to the bathroom and flushing it down the toilet.

So I will attempt to explain when the fetus magically turns into a human, it's when the Birth Fairy arrives and waves her magic wand over the infant as it exists the birth canal.

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
As we all know, those who are religion try to tell us that there is no God and we are not really made in the image of God, therefore, life is not sacred and a pregnancy is nothing short of an accident. In fact, losing a fetus is akin to going to the bathroom and flushing it down the toilet.
Funny. I'm an atheist and I've never said any of these things. Sounds like this is just a broadbrush statement that doesn't actually accomplish anything.

Reactions: Lyzza

bar

Jan 2014
Decades ago while in high school I participated in a debate team and the topic was abortion.
And we are still debating it....
Maybe there are no clear cut answers.

Reactions: leekohler2
Nov 2013
NM
Then when does the unborn become human?
We're in Political Issues here, yes? & so you have the wrong question. The US Supreme Court in Roe v. Wade ruled that the fetus is not a person, from a legal point of view. It's not a person until it's born - is viable. & therefore in the first trimester of the pregnancy, the woman & her medical consult can freely elect an abortion. In the second trimester, the state can begin to legislate to regulate abortion, & in the third, the state can forbid abortion; except for the health/life of the woman.

The humanity of the fetus was never in question - the Supreme Court didn't rule on that. As far as I can tell, that discussion just distracts from the central point - abortions performed under Roe are specified not to be murder.

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
Then when does the unborn become human?
I don't know.

Despite what you may think, I do know that life is fleeting and precious, pregnancy is beautiful, complicated and oh so difficult, and losing a fetus or losing a child is tragic.

My wife and have been trying to have a child for [check my notes] four years. Let me repeat, we have been trying and failing to start a family for four years. Every month when we get a test that says "No" and are reminded that we failed to have a child is like a punch in the stomach. So I promise you that I do not see this as an accident.

I should also inform you that a good friend of mine gave birth to 21-week old twin boys. For those unaware, while you never want to have a premature child, you REALLY don't want it with boys because it takes longer for their lungs to develop. Stephen spent 19 weeks in the NICU before his family got to take him home. Joseph spent about an hour.

Who are you to assume that just because I don't believe in a supernatural being, means I don't believe in the value of life.

Feb 2019
here and there
We're in Political Issues here, yes? & so you have the wrong question. The US Supreme Court in Roe v. Wade ruled that the fetus is not a person, from a legal point of view. It's not a person until it's born - is viable. & therefore in the first trimester of the pregnancy, the woman & her medical consult can freely elect an abortion. In the second trimester, the state can begin to legislate to regulate abortion, & in the third, the state can forbid abortion; except for the health/life of the woman.

The humanity of the fetus was never in question - the Supreme Court didn't rule on that. As far as I can tell, that discussion just distracts from the central point - abortions performed under Roe are specified not to be murder.
I don't recall any such ruling as to personhood. What they did rule was that a woman had the right to privacy.

So tell us, if the court did rule personhood based upon trimester, then what makes a person a human in terms of development?

In other words, how did they come to that conclusion, on what medical information?

My understanding is that they side stepped the issue and just shrugged their shoulders regarding if a baby is human and left that to philosophers/religions folk, etc.

Feb 2019
here and there
I don't know.

Despite what you may think, I do know that life is fleeting and precious, pregnancy is beautiful, complicated and oh so difficult, and losing a fetus or losing a child is tragic.

My wife and have been trying to have a child for [check my notes] four years. Let me repeat, we have been trying and failing to start a family for four years. Every month when we get a test that says "No" and are reminded that we failed to have a child is like a punch in the stomach. So I promise you that I do not see this as an accident.

I should also inform you that a good friend of mine gave birth to 21-week old twin boys. For those unaware, while you never want to have a premature child, you REALLY don't want it with boys because it takes longer for their lungs to develop. Stephen spent 19 weeks in the NICU before his family got to take him home. Joseph spent about an hour.

Who are you to assume that just because I don't believe in a supernatural being, means I don't believe in the value of life.
So if there is no consensus as to personhood, why let people to abort?

Feb 2019
here and there
I don't know, and its not OK for anyone to use their opinion to tell others what to do with their bodies, or whether for not to continue a pregnancy. That's their business. End of story.
The Constitution affords us all rights from murder, thanks for asking.

You may have the right to try and kill me, but the state then has the right to send you to death row for it.