When can you prosecute the press for publishing?

Mar 2019
Texas
I believe they have a right to publish and people have a right to sue if it effects them negatively. Information sensitive to the safety of the usa is a different matter.

Bartnicki v. Vopper is the most protective of journalists and sets out the primary “test,” holding that a broadcaster could not be held civilly liable for publishing documents or tapes illegally procured by a third party. The court set out three criteria for legitimate first amendment protection: (1) the media outlet played no role in the illegal interception; (2) media received the information lawfully; (3) the issue was a matter of public concern.
cjr

10 year old article but a good perspective.

Sep 2015
Brown Township, Ohio
Assuage is locked up in England and soon to be extradited to The United States of America. Assuage said he is afraid of American Prison but he made his bed and has to sleep in it. edit: Queen Elizabeth II Rex has the ultimate say so if he gets extradited or not.

Last edited:
Dec 2015
Arizona
As I said before, I’m asking more of a moral question than one of extant law.
I sincerely doubt if the Mega Media gives two hoots and a holler about moral questions, but they do retain a boatload of attorneys to advise them when they question the legality of publishing....well....anything. AND this is certainly nothing new.
Maybe they adhere to the slogan: It's easier to apologize than ask permission??

Apr 2014
Heart of America
I sincerely doubt if the Mega Media gives two hoots and a holler about moral questions, but they do retain a boatload of attorneys to advise them when they question the legality of publishing....well....anything. AND this is certainly nothing new.
Maybe they adhere to the slogan: It's easier to apologize than ask permission??
It's a for-profit business with stock shares. Of course they've retained fucking lawyers to guide them. :)