When did America become a Nation of Frightened Wimps?

tadpole256

Former Staff
May 2005
Planet Earth (Mostly)
winston53660 said:
WOOO HOOO that is a great point//and why i'm getting out of the USA ASAP. I'm sick of all the do gooders.

Where are you going?

And I hope you meant to put do gooders in quotes... LOL

I still believe America can survive the troubled times we are going through. We are simply in a dark age, we will come out of it. Hopefully enlightened, and liberated and not slaves to Jesus...

Aug 2006
tadpole256 said:
Where are you going?

And I hope you meant to put do gooders in quotes... LOL

I still believe America can survive the troubled times we are going through. We are simply in a dark age, we will come out of it. Hopefully enlightened, and liberated and not slaves to Jesus...

When did we decide that our government had a right to the fluids inside our own bodies? Or a right to the very breath in our lungs? When did we decide that it was the accused’s responsibility to prove they hadn’t been breaking the law? When did we decide that drug testing High School students was reasonable? Hell, why is it reasonable to drug test anyone – ever? Why would anybody, for any reason, have the right to invade your body without your permission?

When did we decide to give 10 year prison sentences to adolescents for having sex? Was it before or after we decided to put them in jail for smoking cigarettes and drinking beer? If my memory serves me correctly, when I was a teenager, almost everyone I knew either was doing it or wanted to do it. Why did we make what is biological and natural, criminal?

When did we decide it is too risky for 20-year-olds to drink but reasonable for them to kill and die overseas? Does that make sense to anyone?

We’ve justified every one of these injustices by claiming that it was necessary to preserve health and safety. I say bullsh!t. What is the point in being a safe slave?

I think we crossed the line somewhere between 1984 and 1988, around the time we outlawed lawn darts and every mini van in America had a ‘baby-on-board’ sign. While lawn darts and baby on board signs may seem trivial, they were warning signs of a mass shift in American values – a shift away from freedom and liberty as predominant values to health and safety as predominant values. There will be no end to the loss of freedom if we believe being healthy and safe trumps all else.

I believe there was day when most Americans accepted that life was risky. They accepted that bad things can happen to good people. They accepted that risk was an inherent part being free. They didn’t need a new law or government program every time something bad happened.

It is sad to watch our freedom slowly disappear in front of our eyes with so few people taking action.

Man, these are so, true. We are cowards to allow our president to invade a nation which has no intention of harming us and bigger cowards to sit back and say we "liberated" these people and have right to steal their oil.

We are cowards to allow corruption at the core of our government and excuse it as "we have a war on terror he is dealing with."

Cowards, indeed. The US is made up of religious political cowards who are so afraid to worship their religion, they have to have EVERYONE worship their religion so that they feel good about it.

Cowards, indeed. Great article, tadpole. Thanks

tadpole256

Former Staff
May 2005
Planet Earth (Mostly)
Thank you... What is worse about being so afflicted by cowardice it allows bullies to rise and shine... Bullies like Ann Coulter, Bill Oreilly, Don Imus, Rush Limbaugh, and the entire Executive Branch. I remember when Americans were proud of their bravery...

Jan 2007
It's not that we don't question, it's that we only question and protest when it directly affects us. Iraq is controversial, but it comes nowhere near Vietnam, when students were shouting for LBJ's blood in the streets because they knew that they stood a good chance of being drafted and dying for an unjust war.

I also think that it has a lot to do with media brainwashing, making ti seem like everyhing is much better than it is and this defeatist mindset in thinking that the government and big business is unbeatable, when it isn't. Wal Mart has been pushed out of so many communities due to public protests and referendums, and it's proof that we can fight if we care enough and see past our own needs.

tadpole256

Former Staff
May 2005
Planet Earth (Mostly)
Antithesis said:
It's not that we don't question, it's that we only question and protest when it directly affects us. Iraq is controversial, but it comes nowhere near Vietnam, when students were shouting for LBJ's blood in the streets because they knew that they stood a good chance of being drafted and dying for an unjust war.

I also think that it has a lot to do with media brainwashing, making ti seem like everyhing is much better than it is and this defeatist mindset in thinking that the government and big business is unbeatable, when it is. Wal Mart has been pushed out of so many communities due to public protests and referendums, and it's proof that we can fight if we care enough and see past our own needs.

These are excellent points. it goes back to what I said about cable tv and the internet. As long as those two things go uninteruted, most people dont care what is going on in the world... It's sad really.

Mar 2007
[CLASSIFIED]
I can't believe how cowardly this country has become. Are we so obesses with security that we are willing to strip America of its freedoms. It seems to me the more freedoms America recieves, the more they take away. What is this country coming to when you can't even board a plane with a cup of coffee.

Those Capitalistic pigs are ruining the country people have fought to make free for the future generations of America.

Aug 2006
John said:
I can't believe how cowardly this country has become. Are we so obesses with security that we are willing to strip America of its freedoms. It seems to me the more freedoms America recieves, the more they take away. What is this country coming to when you can't even board a plane with a cup of coffee.

Those Capitalistic pigs are ruining the country people have fought to make free for the future generations of America.

I think it's New World Order persons...we haven't had capitalism in this nation for a few decades. Look at how much corporate welfare we pay and how much less social welfare. We have more monopolies and price fixing which are fascist traits, not capitalistic traits.

It's the New World order and religious supported dominionist who are destroying this nation...oh, and those who listen to them without checking out the facts.