When I see a woman in a Habib....I?

• Admire thje head conering

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wonder what she looks like

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Dec 2014
Memphis, Tn.
I posted this thread because of personal experience and to evaluate if I am weird or alone in this. I was in a store and had finished shopping, I then went to check out and there were two cashiers....one was a relatively unpleasant older woman who I've had the "Pleasure" of dealing with in the past and the other was a new younger girl in the head covering. I purposefully went to the older cashier to avoid the Muslim even though the line was longer. There was no pork in my basket or alcohol so that was not the reason.

Does this make me a bigot?

Don't know. Only you know WHY you did what you did.
Why did you?

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
This lies at the heart of my decision, just as I tend to avoid situations that could represent a threat or problem I also avoid Muslims for the same reasons. It may be "wrong" but has served me well in life so I will not change this behavior. "Getting to Know" someone that might be a danger seems to me placing myself there so I'll pass. I would not go out of my way to offend but would also not do so to befriend.
Waiting to board a place in Kiev, two groups of people unnerved me, at least temporarily. A group of Muslims, women in black with black headscarves and sneaky looking guys mumbled to themselves, looking around, staring at some people.

And some of the people were a dozen or so Hasidic Jews, who stuck to themselves, looking suspiciously at the Muslims, and just generally projecting a superior attitude.

Or was I just being a bigot and projecting my preconceptions on the two groups?

I don't think so..... but ya know how bigots are. ;)

Reactions: tecoyah
Dec 2006
New Haven, CT
First, I assume you mean hijab. The area I live in is very diverse so hijabs are commonplace. If you are referring to a niqâb, the full face covering with only a slit for vision, those are very rare here and when I see one I stare - intentionally.
Ditto. Exactly the same here.

Sep 2019
Louisville, Ky
Don't know. Only you know WHY you did what you did.
Why did you?
Good question, and one I ask myself. I suppose it comes down to my unquestionable dislike of religion and an even more powerful dislike of Islam. I am adamantly opposed to the ME male mentality toward women and almost disgusted that any woman allows herself to be treated that way...culture be damned. To me the head covering represents and thus incarnates all the nasty negativity that pox on humanity entails.

Dec 2006
New Haven, CT
You must not live in a terribly diverse area, tecoyah. If I were to avoid check out clerks with hijabs, I wouldn't have time to do anything but stand in check out queues! It's really just a matter of getting used to people ... frankly, I'm more uncomfortable around teenagers (of any race) with too face/neck tattoos, pants hanging off their asses and huge hoodies that look big enough to be hiding glocks!

Dec 2015
Arizona
Well said.
Pretty sure Amish and Mennonite women wear head coverings as well
I had a real nifty experience, related to clothing or lack of, not too long ago at Safeway. A very elderly gentleman walked into the store wearing a Speedo bathing suit and sandals. That's it.
Mr. Speedo did his shopping as dozens of people just about lost their lunch. Anyone want to comment on that?
That vision of loveliness is something that nightmares are made of.
Ya know what I'm talkin' about?

Sep 2019
Louisville, Ky
I had a real nifty experience, related to clothing or lack of, not too long ago at Safeway. A very elderly gentleman walked into the store wearing a Speedo bathing suit and sandals. That's it.
Mr. Speedo did his shopping as dozens of people just about lost their lunch. Anyone want to comment on that?
That vision of loveliness is something that nightmares are made of.
Ya know what I'm talkin' about?
I would have left until uncle pervy did.

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
most women are volunteers in a habib or hajib or subaru, at least in this country...no one is defending any religion that treats women as second class citizens, but unfortunately, that includes most religions. ever read the Bible, much?

Southern Baptists To Confront Sexual Abuse And Role Of ...
www.wesa.fm › post › southern-baptists-confront-sexual-abuse-and-r...

Jun 10, 2019 - Church leaders meet this week to discuss clergy sexual abuse cases. ... Southern Baptist churches are not supposed to ordain women, and they are
Ever heard of honor killings? They are few but do happen here. And being ostracized by your family, friends and community is never easy. So I'm not sure you can truly call it voluntary.

Reactions: tecoyah
Dec 2018
New England
I posted this thread because of personal experience and to evaluate if I am weird or alone in this. I was in a store and had finished shopping, I then went to check out and there were two cashiers....one was a relatively unpleasant older woman who I've had the "Pleasure" of dealing with in the past and the other was a new younger girl in the head covering. I purposefully went to the older cashier to avoid the Muslim even though the line was longer. There was no pork in my basket or alcohol so that was not the reason.

Does this make me a bigot?
It doesn't make you a bigot as you were not expressing intolerance.; you might be Islamophobic.