When I was a kid

Jul 2018
Trump World! Where the circus is always in town.
When I was a kid and there was writing on the wall my mom would ask if I knew who did it. I would say no and she would tell me the story of George Washington and the cherry tree. By the time she was done I would confess. I wanted to be like George Washington. Honest.

The other day I found writing on the wall and a crayon in my grandsons hand.
I asked him who did it. He told me he did not know.. I told him the story of Donald Trump and the Russia investigation. He then admitted to me that he did it. He did not want to be like Trump, dishonest.

How do you Trumpets support a man that you have to teach your children to not be like?

Sep 2015
Brown Township, Ohio
When I was a kid and there was writing on the wall my mom would ask if I knew who did it. I would say no and she would tell me the story of George Washington and the cherry tree. By the time she was done I would confess. I wanted to be like George Washington. Honest.

I asked him who did it. He told me he did not know.. I told him the story of Donald Trump and the Russia investigation. He then admitted to me that he did it. He did not want to be like Trump, dishonest.

How do you Trumpets support a man that you have to teach your children to not be like?
99.999% of people lie no matter the creed, race or political affiliation. I am one person out of one hundred thousand who never lies. However, I tell a white lie when my wife asks if this dress makes me look fat.

edit: Cherry Trees do not grow in Virginia, too hot but you will find Cherry Trees in Washington State and Michigan. Wild Cherry Trees are indigenous to Ohio but the cherries are inedible. If you bring up the Japanese Cherry Trees in Washington DC and Macon Georgia then those have beautiful blooms but the cherries are inedible. Wild Black Raspberry are indigenous to Ohio and they are edible. Elderberries are also indigenous in Ohio and edible which is an acquired taste.

Last edited:
Dec 2006
New Haven, CT
just for the record, here on Wooster Square in New Haven, we also have a lovely block of Yashino cherry trees!

... and our place in prime cherry blossom season (the left side)

Dec 2015
Arizona
99.999% of people lie no matter the creed, race or political affiliation. I am one person out of one hundred thousand who never lies. However, I tell a white lie when my wife asks if this dress makes me look fat.

edit: Cherry Trees do not grow in Virginia, too hot but you will find Cherry Trees in Washington State and Michigan. Wild Cherry Trees are indigenous to Ohio but the cherries are inedible. If you bring up the Japanese Cherry Trees in Washington DC and Macon Georgia then those have beautiful blooms but the cherries are inedible. Wild Black Raspberry are indigenous to Ohio and they are edible. Elderberries are also indigenous in Ohio and edible which is an acquired taste.

Did you look fat in the dress? LOL

Jul 2018
Trump World! Where the circus is always in town.
just for the record, here on Wooster Square in New Haven, we also have a lovely block of Yashino cherry trees!

... and our place in prime cherry blossom season (the left side)
Are you affiliated with Yale in anyway?

I ask because you seem independent and insightful which can be a byproduct of academia's finest.

Dec 2006
New Haven, CT
No...though we have many friends who teach/taught at Yale and we attend many of their functions, lectures, films, plays and concerts.

I'm a retired theatre professor from Colgate University (though I started out teaching high school) and my husband is a retired professor of sociology from Southern Connecticut State University. He is still an adjunct part time at University of New Haven.

Wooster Square (where we live) is about ten blocks from the main Yale campus (like most large universities, it's spread out all over the city). It's an easy and quick walk.

Nov 2013
NM
God did not get him, immediately

Yes, Parson Weems did get around a lot (he had to, being a minister wasn't paying enough, & so he flogged books & ran circuits, preaching & selling). He apparently never heard of (TMK, he never met) an American Revolutionary War figure the didn't immediately guild. He even claimed

"Dumfries is not far from Pohick Church, part of Truro Parish, in Lorton, Virginia, where both George Washington and his father Augustine had worshiped in pre-Revolutionary days. Weems would later inflate this Washington connection and promote himself as the former "rector of Mount-Vernon parish"."

(My emphasis - more @ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mason_Locke_Weems)

Apparently Weems was a wonderful fabulist. Or @ least his apple-polishing was in tune with the US public's clamor for more moral stories about our Revolutionary War figures.

Nov 2013
NM
An Rx for melancholy

& an antidote:

Moral minority : our skeptical Founding Fathers / Brooke Allen, c2006, Ivan R. Dee, 277.307 Alle.

Subjects
Founding Fathers of the United States -- Religious life.
Christianity and politics -- United States -- History -- 18th century.
Skepticism -- United States -- History -- 18th century.

Notes
Franklin -- Washington -- Adams -- Jefferson -- Madison -- Hamilton -- 1787 and beyond -- The world that produced the founders -- Appendix I : two letters from Jefferson on the common law and Christianity -- Appendix II : Madison's Memorial and remonstrance against religious assessments.

Length - xvi, 235 pages ;

Just started, so far a retelling of the Founding Fathers & Declaration of Independence & Constitution as products of the Enlightenment, rather than fire & brimstone preachments. Brief biographical sketches of the big 6 named above.

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN

Bill Clinton the man THAT DID the things, Trump only talked about doing.

Put some "Ice on it" Bill Clintons response to rape.

I didn't teach my Kids to be like anyone... I taught them to use Christ as their Standard.

(Remember if Sin was a reason for not electing someone, then we could not elect ANYONE).