White House proposed releasing immigrant detainees in sanctuary cities, targeting political foes

Apr 2014
redacted
So let me see if i got this right.... you are saying that the people in question could be deported w/o issue but the trump administration would prefer to dump them in sanctuary cities rather than deport them?
Isn't that the plan? Correct me if I'm wrong. What is Trump's comment about, in your opinion?

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
Isn't that the plan? Correct me if I'm wrong. What is Trump's comment about, in your opinion?
Im trying to clarify.

From my understanding they are waiting for a hearing so instead of just sticking them in a cage or dumping them whatever they are being dumped we may as well ship them someplace where their presence is wanted.

To me it sounds as if you are under the impression is sanctuary cities or deportation.

Apr 2014
redacted
Im trying to clarify.

From my understanding they are waiting for a hearing so instead of just sticking them in a cage or dumping them whatever they are being dumped we may as well ship them someplace where their presence is wanted.

To me it sounds as if you are under the impression is sanctuary cities or deportation.
Dude, that's "catch and release". What is the plan to find them if they are up for deportation?

Nov 2005
California
Dude, that's "catch and release". What is the plan to find them if they are up for deportation?
Exactly.
Nobody here is even trying to explain why they are being "detained" in the first place.

The reality is simple. I don't think Trump has started anything new with the procedural concept of detaining some asylum requesters.
There is a reason why the system has chosen to detain some.
It should be noted that the system does not choose to detain all asylum requesters.

But now the right and their bobble-heads blindly decide it's an awesome idea to just start releasing them without even bothering to understand why the system is as it is.

Apr 2014
redacted
Exactly.
Nobody here is even trying to explain why they are being "detained" in the first place.

The reality is simple. I don't think Trump has started anything new with the procedural concept of detaining some asylum requesters.
There is a reason why the system has chosen to detain some.
It should be noted that the system does not choose to detain all asylum requesters.

But now the right and their bobble-heads blindly decide it's an awesome idea to just start releasing them without even bothering to understand why the system is as it is.
While I tend to agree overall, a major reason why "the system does not choose to detain all asylum requesters" is cost: the Republicans have been screaming "smaller government" and cutting taxes for decades. The cracks in the system are showing. We can't keep asking authorities to put 10 pounds of work into 5 pound sacks; something has to give. In this case they can't detain everyone who enters the US illegally or requests asylum, even if in the US illegally.

Feb 2019
nunya
The evidence is called rality.

Articles do not mean much if they are filled with mis info.

You know better than to try to say that potus has not made a problem that was under control now a big deal in order to fit his narrative of walling us in.
Nothing of what you just said was relevant to my argument.

Feb 2019
nunya
You want to invest money into "the places where they are kept while waiting for asylum/deportation"?

"temporary care of the Office of Refugee Resettlement"

Is a bit vague. Where is that?

I just am curious as to where these places are, oh and how much money would you like to invest into this problem? How about like $5-6 billion?
Yes, I would like to invest, family numbers are rising and we need a place for them to wait while our legal system works.

Not really vague, you just didn't read the whole thing.

5-6 billion on something we need and that works or something doesn't work and is a waste of money?

Mar 2019
Texas
They are NOT rising. Family numbers may be rising but not overall. You provide no statistics and have trouble believing facts.
OK then be specific if you want to break it down. What category are you referring to? Asylum? Legal immigration? Illegal immigration? All?

Potus shut down all forrign immigration offices and has slowed ports so legal immigration is most likely down.

People claiming asylum is up very much.

There is no definitive way to determine how many people are coming illegally.

So what are you claiming?