"Who tends to have a higher IQ, Democrats or Republicans?"

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
Interesting that I'm on the "new american left", especially since I'm a 53 year old moderate. Or perhaps you are so rightwing and so preposterously stupid that you believe in ghosts, demons, ghouls, Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, etc. Which is it? Are you just flatout stupid? Since you are a Trumpanzee...well, I kinda have to think you are just a really stupid man.
Yeah, goofy assumptions probably help too.

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
Yes, I would. But entertainment has a different value....as long as you enjoy the show is it necessary to learn anything real? Probably not. I enjoy fantasy more than the average guy, but I'm not fooling myself that I'm learning anything of concrete value when I read "Fafhyrd and the Gray Mouser". Is it possible to learn from fiction? Possibly, but I wouldn't count on it.

Harrison Bergeron

Anthem

In reality throughout history many of the most important lessons were past thru the generations in the form of fiction, fables and lore.

Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
John Stuart Mill > Quotes > Quotable Quote

“Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives...
I never meant to say that the Conservatives are generally stupid. I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative. I believe that is so obviously and universally admitted a principle that I hardly think any gentleman will deny it. Suppose any party, in addition to whatever share it may possess of the ability of the community, has nearly the whole of its stupidity, that party must, by the law of its constitution, be the stupidest party; and I do not see why honorable gentlemen should see that position as at all offensive to them, for it ensures their being always an extremely powerful party . . . There is so much dense, solid force in sheer stupidity, that any body of able men with that force pressing behind them may ensure victory in many a struggle, and many a victory the Conservative party has gained through that power."
John Stuart Mill ( British philosopher, economist, and liberal member of Parliament for Westminster from 1865 to 68 )”

― John Stuart Mill

Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
Liberals think they’re more intelligent than conservatives because they are The primary means that citizens of capitalist democracies contribute their private resources for the welfare of the genetically unrelated others is paying taxes to the government for its social welfare programs. The fact that conservatives have been shown to give more money to charities than liberals is not inconsistent with the prediction from the Hypothesis; in fact, it supports the prediction. Individuals can normally choose and select the beneficiaries of their charity donations. For example, they can choose to give money to the victims of the earthquake in Haiti, because they want to help them, but not to give money to the victims of the earthquake in Chile, because they don’t want to help them. In contrast, citizens do not have any control over whom the money they pay in taxes benefit. They cannot individually choose to pay taxes to fund Medicare, because they want to help elderly white people, but not AFDC, because they don’t want to help poor black single mothers. This may precisely be why conservatives choose to give more money to individual charities of their choice while opposing higher taxes.

Incidentally, this finding substantiates one of the persistent complaints among conservatives. Conservatives often complain that liberals control the media or the show business or the academia or some other social institutions. The Hypothesis explains why conservatives are correct in their complaints. Liberals do control the media, or the show business, or the academia, among other institutions, because, apart from a few areas in life (such as business) where countervailing circumstances may prevail, liberals control all institutions. They control the institutions because liberals are on average more intelligent than conservatives and thus they are more likely to attain the highest status in any area of (evolutionarily novel) modern life.

Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
Incidentally, this finding substantiates one of the persistent complaints among conservatives. Conservatives often complain that liberals control the media or the show business or the academia or some other social institutions. The Hypothesisexplains why conservatives are correct in their complaints. Liberals do control the media, or the show business, or the academia, among other institutions, because, apart from a few areas in life (such as business) where countervailing circumstances may prevail, liberals control all institutions. They control the institutions because liberals are on average more intelligent than conservatives and thus they are more likely to attain the highest status in any area of (evolutionarily novel) modern life.

Dec 2017
USA
Yes, I would. But entertainment has a different value....as long as you enjoy the show is it necessary to learn anything real? Probably not. I enjoy fantasy more than the average guy, but I'm not fooling myself that I'm learning anything of concrete value when I read "Fafhyrd and the Gray Mouser". Is it possible to learn from fiction? Possibly, but I wouldn't count on it.
@GluteusMaximus

Okay--then, you would have no problem showing young children any movie out there, regardless of the plot, theme, characters, etc.?

Dec 2017
USA

Harrison Bergeron

Anthem

In reality throughout history many of the most important lessons were past thru the generations in the form of fiction, fables and lore.
@Sabcat

Yes, we are story-telling creatures--it is how we transmit information. It can come in the form of fiction or non-fiction, though non-fiction (such as, for instance, history), is much more confined to a particular set of circumstances while fiction is more generalizable and intentionally pushes toward extremes, which strongly underlines the lessons. Then, fiction is overwhelmingly a more powerful and concise medium for information transfer regarding general "dos" & "don'ts" in life that everyone will be faced with. History (and such) remains important in order to delve into specific details, for actionable knowledge, fiction gives one a more zoomed out general view. If you do not know you are in a maze, then you will be helpless attempting to navigate your immediate environment.