Who thinks that Gov Northam should resign?

Nov 2018
Inner Space
I think even Abe Lincoln would be challenged to move past this event. While impulsive and poorly considered actions are common as a sort of stress-release in professional schools, the reality is that Northam probably cannot continue to govern, cannot do anything to change the past, and should accept the unpleasant consequences of a bad decision years ago and resign. Northam is not the only Democrat in Virginia capable of being governor, I am sure.

Nov 2018
Inner Space
Guys have been doing stuff since Adam. The hysteria has really accelerated since Bill Cosby took a hit. I'm not taking any accuser's word about shit that happened 14 years ago unless there is a trail of verified paperwork to substantiate it.
Because so many sexually abused, raped, or assaulted women normally file notarized paperwork demonstrating shame, regret, self-loathing, and bitterness about the exploitation?

Jul 2018
Earth
I think even Abe Lincoln would be challenged to move past this event. While impulsive and poorly considered actions are common as a sort of stress-release in professional schools, the reality is that Northam probably cannot continue to govern, cannot do anything to change the past, and should accept the unpleasant consequences of a bad decision years ago and resign. Northam is not the only Democrat in Virginia capable of being governor, I am sure.
There is no doubt that Northam is an idiot but is there any official independent evidence that the "yearbook" pictures are legitimate? He didn't help his case by ratting himself out with his initial confession because that says that he was capable of doing such a thing even if he didn't actually do the particular act. That indicates a serious judgment problem which, to me, is more of an issue than the old pictures.

Nov 2018
Inner Space
If you were walking down the street and got mugged would you be too ashamed to immediately report it? If you got raped would you be too ashamed to report it and therefore let the rapist remain free? Unless you intend to kill the guy yourself you should report it or just go have a beer and forget about it. I have zero sympathy for anyone who waits years extending into decades before whining about what some guy did to them. Such cases get an automatic "Not Guilty" verdict from me.
You have a lot to learn about women, sexual assault, and response to rape....

Nov 2018
Inner Space
There is no doubt that Northam is an idiot but is there any official independent evidence that the "yearbook" pictures are legitimate? He didn't help his case by ratting himself out with his initial confession because that says that he was capable of doing such a thing even if he didn't actually do the particular act. That indicates a serious judgment problem which, to me, is more of an issue than the old pictures.
I am assuming that the picture was appropriately attributed. Of course, the claims seem to be going back and forth on that issue, so if untrue, then my observation does not apply. Actually, most people look at their yearbooks to see themselves and errors are very rare I suspect. In addition, the errors would typically be noted by others familiar with the incident or the credits in the yearbook.

Jul 2018
Earth
I am assuming that the picture was appropriately attributed. Of course, the claims seem to be going back and forth on that issue, so if untrue, then my observation does not apply. Actually, most people look at their yearbooks to see themselves and errors are very rare I suspect. In addition, the errors would typically be noted by others familiar with the incident or the credits in the yearbook.
I might be wrong but no one other than the complainer has produced a copy of the yearbook. The school should have a copy and the publisher certainly has a copy. If the pictures are legit then countless people beside Northam are complicit in approving the pictures for the yearbook. All of those people would be tainted with racism.

Nov 2018
Inner Space
I might be wrong but no one other than the complainer has produced a copy of the yearbook. The school should have a copy and the publisher certainly has a copy. If the pictures are legit then countless people beside Northam are complicit in approving the pictures for the yearbook. All of those people would be tainted with racism.
You seem to be suggesting that racism is confined to a few in American society. Racism is pervasive. If you are white in America, you participate in the institutional racism by your white advantage, regardless of your expressed view of race. We are all racists here, one way or another.

So far as the yearbook picture goes, I would not fault the publisher or the yearbook team per se. The costume was only important as a symbol of ignorance and disregard for the history it embodied. It is unlikely that if the costumes were "Indian" and cowboy or same sex couples or "Chinese laundry workers" they would have as much impact, although likely they would provoke some criticism as well.

Nov 2018
Inner Space
They keep it going by refusing to out the rapists.
There is no individual advantage to a personal sacrifice of interrogation and revealing sexual discussion that becomes only more stress and humiliation "to stop the rapist". Most rape is acquaintance rape and complicated for that reason. There is overt and covet blame against the victim that goes with sexual assault... so there is no surprise that most women just want the whole affair to go away. If you were humiliated for a car break-in or robbery or home invasion, you would hesitate to report them as well.