Who thinks the US should accept refugees

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
How many refugees per day, month, year?

I completely understand wanting to help people living under inhumane governments and criminal crime lords, but to me allowing unfettered access to our country shares a fundamental similarity to building a wall to stop it.

The cause is left unaddressed; neither are a workable, longterm solution. The conditions that drive people to seek asylum continue. Since neither side seems too interested in solving the problem, the issue becomes yet another one on the list of issues that divide Americans.

May 2018
Chicago

I completely understand wanting to help people living under inhumane governments and criminal crime lords, but to me allowing unfettered access to our country shares a fundamental similarity to building a wall to stop it.

The cause is left unaddressed; neither are a workable, longterm solution. The conditions that drive people to seek asylum continue. Since neither side seems too interested in solving the problem, the issue becomes yet another one on the list of issues that divide Americans.
I think we can all agree that treating asylum seekers the way we are now needs to stop immediately. Lives are at stake NOW. Let's get there first, then talk about long-term solutions.

Dec 2018
Wisconsin

The specific question asked in this survey was, "Do you think the U.S. has a responsibility to accept refugees into the country, or do you think the U.S. does NOT have a responsibility to do this?"

It's not the best-worded question. I'd be curious to know (and I'm not sure how you'd do this) how respondents actually define a refugee. Because if they think a refugee is someone jumping the boarder, or if they think it's one country accepting a group of refugees fleeing a war-torn country, those are two very different things.

I agree with you in principle that the concept of a wall is as stupid as a complete open boarder where the US takes in every individual from another country. My argument though is one party is pushing for a wall and no parties are calling for an open boarder.

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
I think we can all agree that treating asylum seekers the way we are now needs to stop immediately. Lives are at stake NOW. Let's get there first, then talk about long-term solutions.
Sure.

This problem will never be solved as long as a real solution will be implemented "tomorrow."

May 2018
Chicago
Sure.

This problem will never be solved as long as a real solution will be implemented "tomorrow."
A person suffering a heart attack does not care about what medical professionals plan to do about future heart attacks. A doctor does not say to a person having a heart attack "Please hold indefinitely until I figure out how to handle this issue in a broader sense."

That's not how life works.

Last edited:

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
A person suffering a heart attack does not care about what medical professionals plan to do about future heart attacks. A doctor does not say to a person having a heart attack "Please hold indefinitely until I figure out how to handle this issue in a broader sense."

That's not how life works.
Very strained analogy, though it certainly sets the table for feeling good and noble.

Looking at it the way it is, the US is complicit in empowering a host of "elected dictators" and criminal gangs in Central America. The inhumane conditions created by US complicity are driving the flow of refugees and asylum seekers.

One political side says keep them out. Build a wall. The other political side says let them in, presumably, every one who appears at the border asking for refugee status. The sides do not listen to the valid points each makes, nor will they consider the flaws in their respective strategies. Each side believes the other side is insane at best.

And for sure, neither side discusses at all any solution that addresses the root of the problem.

Once again, Americans demonstrate why no outside enemy is required to destroy our nation. Our inability to listen to each other provides the enemy that eats its way from inside.

May 2019
USA
I am okay helping refugees. I have a bigger problem treating some Mexican who wants to pick lettuce claim to be one.

Jul 2018
Earth
The government knows exactly who is behind the worldwide emigration problem but refuses to end it. So the situation will continue until the nations under attack are destroyed.