Who thinks the US should accept refugees

Apr 2013
La La Land North
Is there a Pew Research Center article on who thinks Canada should accept refugees?
I don't know, but I do know that Canada accepts a lot of refugees. Not all but a lot.

However, Canada does not rip families apart and does not lock up infants and children without adequate care, sanitation, medical attention or food. That's inhuman.

May 2018
Chicago
Very strained analogy, though it certainly sets the table for feeling good and noble.

Looking at it the way it is, the US is complicit in empowering a host of "elected dictators" and criminal gangs in Central America. The inhumane conditions created by US complicity are driving the flow of refugees and asylum seekers.

One political side says keep them out. Build a wall. The other political side says let them in, presumably, every one who appears at the border asking for refugee status. The sides do not listen to the valid points each makes, nor will they consider the flaws in their respective strategies. Each side believes the other side is insane at best.

And for sure, neither side discusses at all any solution that addresses the root of the problem.

Once again, Americans demonstrate why no outside enemy is required to destroy our nation. Our inability to listen to each other provides the enemy that eats its way from inside.
Regardless, the rules that govern asylum seekers are being ignored right now. We have methods in place for helping these folks, but the administration sees fit to ignore those for political purposes, which is creating an obvious problem at the border. We need to start following our own rules.

The root causes you mentioned need to be addressed. However, they do nothing to address the immediate issue, hence my analogy.

Trump Administration Is Illegally Forcing Asylum Seekers Out of the United States

Dec 2015
Arizona
I don't know, but I do know that Canada accepts a lot of refugees. Not all but a lot.

However, Canada does not rip families apart and does not lock up infants and children without adequate care, sanitation, medical attention or food. That's inhuman.
You must have a fascinatin' country, R. So many Trump fans are interested in your policies.

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
Regardless, the rules that govern asylum seekers are being ignored right now. We have methods in place for helping these folks, but the administration sees fit to ignore those for political purposes, which is creating an obvious problem at the border. We need to start following our own rules.

The root causes you mentioned need to be addressed. However, they do nothing to address the immediate issue, hence my analogy.

Trump Administration Is Illegally Forcing Asylum Seekers Out of the United States
Regardless, the situation will continue until the cause of it is addressed, and ain't nobody talking about that.

Sep 2014
On the outside, trickling down on the Insiders
How many refugees per day, month, year?

I completely understand wanting to help people living under inhumane governments and criminal crime lords, but to me allowing unfettered access to our country shares a fundamental similarity to building a wall to stop it.

The cause is left unaddressed; neither are a workable, longterm solution. The conditions that drive people to seek asylum continue. Since neither side seems too interested in solving the problem, the issue becomes yet another one on the list of issues that divide Americans.
Xenophiles Want to Make the USA a Piñata for Peons

In Spanish, asylum means "free stuff."

Nov 2017

Well that's good; it's unfortunate that we Americans can't say the same about our Democrat politicians in congress who have denied funding for migrant care.

May 2019
USA
A purely capitalistic economy requires a slave class and has always had one.
If they could do equal or better where they come from, they would stay there instead of dying in the desert and such. They are not slaves. If anything, laws intended to protect them depress their wages by forcing employers to provide housing and such thereby relieving the demand for higher wages.