Who thinks the US should accept refugees

Apr 2013
La La Land North
Well that's good; it's unfortunate that we Americans can't say the same about our Democrat politicians in congress who have denied funding for migrant care.
They have not denied funding for migrant care. They have denied funding for crap the GOP keeps loading on the bills and because Dotard reneged on his DACA position.

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
Well that's good; it's unfortunate that we Americans can't say the same about our Democrat politicians in congress who have denied funding for migrant care.
Ah Jeez Neil, talk about picking a completely arbitrary "starting point."

Congress for decades has done the bidding of the Cutthroat Capitalist Class who need near-slave labor.

All the "caring" about immigrants or would-be immigrants is pure political posturing designed to inflame the masses and divert their attention from the fact that our capitalist system as it is cannot provide a decent living wage for everyone, whether they are in this country or some offshore sweatshop.

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
If they could do equal or better where they come from, they would stay there instead of dying in the desert and such. They are not slaves. If anything, laws intended to protect them depress their wages by forcing employers to provide housing and such thereby relieving the demand for higher wages.
Capitalism requires an underclass and ordinary taxpayers make up the difference between an unlivable wage and a livable wage through government handouts.

My born in the USSR wife cannot fathom why we pay our medical bills while people not legally in the country do not, plus they can receive rent assistance, utility assistance, and food assistance. She says, when you add all that up, these folks "make" as much money as we do and that just doesn't seem fair to her.

How would you, or anyone, explain this to her?

Jul 2018
Earth
The migrants should get all of the care that their home governments pay for them. If the native governments don't pay, then the migrants don't get. What is fairer than that?

Marcus Livius

Former Staff
Sep 2017
Hell
The migrants should get all of the care that their home governments pay for them. If the native governments don't pay, then the migrants don't get. What is fairer than that?
You can''t exactly send a foreign government a bill and expect them to cut a check. But you can cut off aid and Trump did that. People such as you shout and holler how bad and mean orange man is, yet you just suggested what he had done, just in a roundabout way.

Nov 2012
Rhondda
A lot of my friends had parents or grandparents who came here on the kindertransport, just in time, back before the War. What a pity we didn't find room for five or six million!

Dec 2015
Arizona
Yeah. Let's blame the Democrats--good job, Neil. Again.
May I bring your attention to the 2016 candidate who made any number of claims about how HE and he ALONE would fix immigration?? It's so easy, ya know.
“A Trump administration will stop illegal immigration, deport all criminal aliens, and save American lives.”
We have at least 11 million people in this country that came in illegally. They will go out. They will come back — some will come back, the best, through a process...."
"We will end the sanctuary cities that have resulted in so many needless deaths. Cities that refuse to cooperate with federal authorities will not receive taxpayer dollars, and we will work with Congress to pass legislation to protect those jurisdictions that do assist federal authorities.”
“Donald J. Trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country's representatives can figure out what the hell is going on.”
“We will reform legal immigration to serve the best interests of America and its workers, the forgotten people."
"End birthright citizenship."
"We will triple the number of ICE agents."
"I would build a great wall, and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me, and I’ll build them very inexpensively. I will build a great great wall on our southern border and I’ll have Mexico pay for that wall."

Prez BigMouth quotes, Neil. Two years. Two YEARS. For TWO YEARS Trump had the entire U.S. Congress in the palm of his hand. The majority of states were governed by Republicans--not only governorships but legislatures. AND you want to blame the Democrats. Try playing with a full deck, dude.

May 2018
Chicago
Capitalism requires an underclass and ordinary taxpayers make up the difference between an unlivable wage and a livable wage through government handouts.

My born in the USSR wife cannot fathom why we pay our medical bills while people not legally in the country do not, plus they can receive rent assistance, utility assistance, and food assistance. She says, when you add all that up, these folks "make" as much money as we do and that just doesn't seem fair to her.

A lot of people in this country don’t pay their medical bills! Ask your wife if she can fathom why we don’t have UHC.

May 2019
USA

I would tell her that she is correct in that the per capita wages are roughly in the same neighborhood of the cash value of the government benefits we provide people, but a huge chunk of that poor side of the equation is salary for people in the middle who work for the government who administer those programs. I would also suggest she tell her spouse that many people will do as little as they can to get by. Maybe they are lazy; maybe they don't value money; maybe, maybe. In terms of contribution to society, the only difference between a deadbeat and a trust fund baby is who is sending the checks.