Who thinks the US should accept refugees

Sep 2014
On the outside, trickling down on the Insiders
Ah Jeez Neil, talk about picking a completely arbitrary "starting point."

Congress for decades has done the bidding of the Cutthroat Capitalist Class who need near-slave labor.

All the "caring" about immigrants or would-be immigrants is pure political posturing designed to inflame the masses and divert their attention from the fact that our capitalist system as it is cannot provide a decent living wage for everyone, whether they are in this country or some offshore sweatshop.
White Collar Means Their Daddies Bought Them Their Jobs

Hereditary rule in Capitalism puts inferior people in superior positions, which drags it into a terminal stage. Because management didn't earn their positions, that's what forces them to cheat, not greed. A system can't be judged until all birth privileges are eliminated. What the "heiristocracy" forces us to focus on is like judging a building by its blueprint without caring about the quality of the materials used in building it.

Sep 2014
On the outside, trickling down on the Insiders
Capitalism requires an underclass and ordinary taxpayers make up the difference between an unlivable wage and a livable wage through government handouts.

My born in the USSR wife cannot fathom why we pay our medical bills while people not legally in the country do not, plus they can receive rent assistance, utility assistance, and food assistance. She says, when you add all that up, these folks "make" as much money as we do and that just doesn't seem fair to her.

How would you, or anyone, explain this to her?
Vlad's Nads Give the Sads to the Snowflakes' Dads

Going above this thread's staged debate, you bring up a more important question. What does your czarina think of Putin? Someone with a manly view of the world would judge that he is the greatest Russian since Peter the Great himself, who was also a little rough along the edges.

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
I would tell her that she is correct in that the per capita wages are roughly in the same neighborhood of the cash value of the government benefits we provide people, but a huge chunk of that poor side of the equation is salary for people in the middle who work for the government who administer those programs. I would also suggest she tell her spouse that many people will do as little as they can to get by. Maybe they are lazy; maybe they don't value money; maybe, maybe. In terms of contribution to society, the only difference between a deadbeat and a trust fund baby is who is sending the checks.
I've told her most of that, and added that although we may qualify for some freebies, I'd rather not take 'em.

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
Vlad's Nads Give the Sads to the Snowflakes' Dads

Going above this thread's staged debate, you bring up a more important question. What does your czarina think of Putin? Someone with a manly view of the world would judge that he is the greatest Russian since Peter the Great himself, who was also a little rough along the edges.
She despises him. She's Russian born, but lived in Kiev from around 1960 to when she emigrated here in 2012. She, and almost all Russians, had very high hopes for Putin, to be clear.