Oct 2009
Cliffside Park, NJ
Why a federal minimum wage law?

There are libertarians and/or credible economists that continue arguing the justification of a minimum wage rate. Currently, all of the world's industrial nations have government laws similar to our federal minimum wage rate, or some quasi-government organization that enforce something to accomplish our rate's purpose.

If the federal minimum wage rate statutes were eliminated, What are likely to be USA states net detrimental deliberate or unintentional harm to other states' economies? Particularly the consequences between neighboring states? The Constitutional Convention of 1787 addressed this issue and included the commerce clause within our constitution.

Currently, each state's government may, and many do expand upon the coverage and/or the amount of the federal minimum wage rate.

I'm a proponent of gradually increasing of the federal minimum wage rate to 125% of its Feb-1968 purchasing power, and then continuing to retain that purchasing power; that's of a little greater targeted purchasing power than that of H.R. 582, but I'm pleased with that last passed House resolution. It will be to Democrats' advantages in 2020.

Respectfully, Supposn

Last edited:
Oct 2009
Cliffside Park, NJ
Why a federal minimum wage law? If the federal minimum wage rate statutes were eliminated, there would be no federal minimum wage rate to bolster state and local minimums, U.S. states and local governments would find it less feasible, if not unfeasible to sustain their own minimum rates.

Then w
hat are likely to be USA states net detrimental deliberate or unintentional harm to other states' economies? Particularly the consequences between neighboring states? The Constitutional Convention of 1787 addressed such issues and included the commerce clause within our constitution.

Respectfully, Supposn

Feb 2020
Kalifornia

There are libertarians and/or credible economists that continue arguing the justification of a minimum wage rate. . . .
Libertarians do not support a federal minimum wage law because the government should not intervene in the employment contract between an employer and the employee.

If someone thinks the employer doesn't pay enough for their work, then he/she should seek employment elsewhere.

Keep the federal government out of employment contracts/agreements.

Last edited:
Dec 2018
Indiana
Libertarians do not support a federal minimum wage law because the government should not intervene in the employment contract between an employer and the employee.

If someone thinks the employer doesn't pay enough for their work, then he/she should seek employment elsewhere.

Why not drop the minimum wage entirely? With its elimination, I bet we could get many "entry" level jobs down to around 50 cents an hour.

Dec 2018
Indiana
It's an excellent idea. :yes:

This is absurd - nobody would work for 50 cents an hour. . . not in this country, anyways!
How low do you think the private sector could go and still get suckers to apply? I bet the current rate could easily be cut in half as the work force got desperate. Third world economies are great if you've already got it made and live in a gated community.

Last edited:
Sep 2014
On the outside, trickling down on the Insiders

There are libertarians and/or credible economists that continue arguing the justification of a minimum wage rate. Currently, all of the world's industrial nations have government laws similar to our federal minimum wage rate, or some quasi-government organization that enforce something to accomplish our rate's purpose.

If the federal minimum wage rate statutes were eliminated, What are likely to be USA states net detrimental deliberate or unintentional harm to other states' economies? Particularly the consequences between neighboring states? The Constitutional Convention of 1787 addressed this issue and included the commerce clause within our constitution.

Currently, each state's government may, and many do expand upon the coverage and/or the amount of the federal minimum wage rate.

I'm a proponent of gradually increasing of the federal minimum wage rate to 125% of its Feb-1968 purchasing power, and then continuing to retain that purchasing power; that's of a little greater targeted purchasing power than that of H.R. 582, but I'm pleased with that last passed House resolution. It will be to Democrats' advantages in 2020.

Respectfully, Supposn
Liberal Snobs Fear Working-Class Self-Determination

The purpose of the false-flag Preppy Progressives' minimum-wage law is to discourage workers from unionizing, which is the only other way they can get their wages increased. And they would have gotten increases a lot faster if they had used the power of numbers against the power of individual wealth.

Feb 2020
Kalifornia
How low do you think the private sector could go and still get suckers to apply?
The current federal minimum wage is $7.25/hr, although I've heard that farm laborers will sometimes work for less than minimum wage if they are paid in cash.

I bet the current rate could easily be cut in half as the work force got desperate. .
I doubt that anyone would work for under $5/hr.

Dec 2018
Indiana
The current federal minimum wage is $7.25/hr, although I've heard that farm laborers will sometimes work for less than minimum wage if they are paid in cash.

I doubt that anyone would work for under $5/hr.
I'm sure if employers held out long enough, the suckers would work for even less. Never underestimate the power of those who have complete control over the purse strings.
See the Gilded Age for proof.

Sep 2014
On the outside, trickling down on the Insiders

If someone thinks people think the employer doesn't pay enough for their work, then he/she they should seek employment elsewhere.

Be a Man, Not a Manservant

So you Lizardtarians believe that Man Against Millionaire is a free market on wages? You believe concentrations of wealth have no power to coerce? Let the owners seek ownership elsewhere, in a country where the workers are passive little economic sissies. We, who create the wealth of the plutocratic parasites and their Virginia Tech fodder heirs, have just as much right to fire the boss as he has to fire us. Keep the federal government out of legislating who can fire whom.