Why are most Republicans against education?

Jul 2019
Georgia
New pew study shows 59% of Republicans think colleges have an overall negative impact on America.

Views of Higher Education Divided by Party

is it because less educated people vote Republican for the most part?

perhaps knowing Science, Math, Art, English, etc. gets people thinking for themselves?

~~~

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

― Issac Asimov (1980)

Last edited:
May 2018
Chicago
You just nailed it. I have shared my own story before. I grew up in rural Ohio in a very religious, conservative family. We went to church sometimes three times a week. I knew no black people growing up. I knew one Jewish family. I was taught about the Holocaust by my parents because we were German, and my family wanted to make sure we were never prejudiced. Even though I has absolutely no contact with black people growing up, my parents made sure to tell me that discrimination was wrong.

That's all well and good until shit gets real. They never practiced what they preached. Once I came out in college, I got rejected by all the people I knew growing up. I naively thought that they would never reject me. I mean, it was ME, they knew me all my life. Surely, they would all understand. Nope.

College opened my eyes to a lot of different people, religions, etc. I felt like I was seeing the world for the first time all over again. I realized that a lot of people in my life had not been completely honest with me. It was not a fun revelation, trust me. It's not fun to realize that most of what you were raised to believe is actually BS. When you are able to meet different people, hear their stories and see the world through their eyes, it definitely changes you and opens you up to the world outside your own. In short, it gives you empathy. The GOP hates this with a passion. That should be no secret.

Education, free thought, asking questions, exploring other countries and cultures and ways to do things are the enemies of the right. Conservatism, by its very definition, does not allow for change or progress. That attitude has killed businesses like Sears. I know that because they were a client of mine for 12 years. I and many others tried to get them to change. They wouldn't. I had to walk away eventually too. It was a lost cause.

The other thing I notice with conservatives, they do not like challenges. They want everything to stay the same, which of course, it never does. Life never stays the same, it always changes.

Last edited:
Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
Republicans are not against education they are against supporting failed school systems.....

This is why Republicans want to offer choice for a all.... unlike democrats that put the WORST schools in minority neighborhoods. While the giving the bulk of funding to schools in the neighborhoods of the elite class. You never see the mayors Children or the School Board members going to the schools where the public housing students are zoned.

Jul 2019
SoCal
Republicans are not against education they are against supporting failed school systems.....

This is why Republicans want to offer choice for a all.... unlike democrats that put the WORST schools in minority neighborhoods. While the giving the bulk of funding to schools in the neighborhoods of the elite class. You never see the mayors Children or the School Board members going to the schools where the public housing students are zoned.
Why didn't you get educated?

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
Why didn't you get educated?
I was thinking the same about you...:)

My Oldest daughter was part of Lamar Alexander's (Republican TN) school choice program...

Mayor Phil Bredesen Democrat TN) ied to kill the choice system, but the people of the state ended that effort quickly. he said it was unfair.. But the African American community put him in his place since the choice schools were 49% African American, in a city where only 27% of the population was African American

She atteneded

Explore Meigs Middle Magnet School in Nashville, TN
Explore Hume - Fogg High Academic Magnet in Nashville, TN

Last edited:
Apr 2019
America
New pew study shows 59% of Republicans think colleges have an overall negative impact on America.

Views of Higher Education Divided by Party

is it because less educated people vote Republican for the most part?

perhaps knowing Science, Math, Art, English, etc. gets people thinking for themselves?

~~~

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

― Issac Asimov (1980)
It does, but they do not teach that at our universities without a healthy dose of indoctrination that closes minds and breeds intolerance.

Jul 2019
Georgia
It does, but they do not teach that at our universities without a healthy dose of indoctrination that closes minds and breeds intolerance.
have you ever attended an accredited American University?

edit: I'm not knocking people who didn't go to College, I know that's not possible for everyone this day in age. It's not necessarily a requirement to be a successful or open-minded person.

I'm knocking people who never went to College and have preconceived notions about it, and think higher education is bad without knowing much about it (read: the 59% of Republicans in the pew study and people like them)