Why are most Republicans against education?

Sep 2019
UK
there are different types of higher education, a lot training can be learned in trade schools, which is still higher education

and if you read my posts, I've not said college is not necessary for everyone

the post you responded to was referring to many people who have scrambled in this thread to deflect and whatabout instead of addressing the study in the OP

so you're okay with people going to college? good.

in case you need to refresh your memory, this is the link from the OP and the discussion (that should be) at hand

Views of Higher Education Divided by Party

fwiw, the study concludes that the main reason Republicans are not fond of Higher Education is due to perceived politics and culture on campus (and higher costs, which I agree with), and that has been covered by several in this thread.
Maybe Republicans read the article in The Atlantic, or even the book, by Bryan Caplan, which I have just quoted. It makes a pretty good argument that higher education does not actually result in much education, but rather, is kind of a ticket, a signal, to employers about the kind of person you are. Then it would be perfectly rational to question its value.

Jul 2019
Georgia
Republicans DON'T think that...WE think that too many waste time and money on higher education incurring debt and the return on their investment is never met or reached. There is a basic understanding within the REPUBLICAN PARTY that this perception that EVERYONE should go to college is FALSE!!!!! Not everyone should go to college!!!! That isn't wrong to say but people like you and others demonize us for saying it and speaking the truth and it's asinine.

Don't stick a fork in a wall socket, don't smack your head against a brick wall, don't put your hand in the fire and don't keep regurgitating that college is a must for all. Those are all basically reasonable statements that are rational and logical. There is simply no reason why someone should spend the time and money to obtain a degree which they will likely never find a job related to their degree, only for the sake of having it, IF it won't be beneficial to you and your life.

If I told you that everyone pays me $10 for a certificate with your name on it, you'd ask me what benefit having that certificate is to you right? You'd wonder if the expense justifies the benefit. What if only select people had it, and those people use it to get really high paying jobs that require that certificate...then there is a straight forward benefit. However, what if no one ever asks you about it and no one ever cares whether you have it or not...then it's worthless and a waste of $10 right? That's what a degree is to most people. For college kids graduating, they have NOTHING to show other than having completed college. For most grads, that's all they can put on their resume. Now consider two 18 year olds. One goes to College, the other goes into flight school to become a commercial pilot. After 4 years, the college kid graduates with a degree in whatever and decides to go into flight school. Upon finishing flight school, the college grad now is just starting out as a pilot and receiving pay as a beginner because their degree amounts to zilch. The person who went into flight school immediately has already worked for 4 years collecting experience and flight hours and his net worth is far greater than the college kids is without the heavy loans to pay back. This is a sadly common example throughout our country. This doesn't apply to some fields, only those fields where a degree is meaningless in many cases. So what value was there to finish college for that student when they incurred debt and are making less than the person who went directly in after high school?

When 27% of grads find jobs in their related major, that's pretty telling that either 1. not everyone needs to go to college, or 2. some majors are being selected and shouldn't. I think we can honestly do away with some subjects that are utterly useless so naive college kids stop wasting money on them. Naive kids keep taking them in an attempt to find themselves and they end up bitter, frustrated and in debt as a result.

The 10 Most Useless University Degrees

So The topic was Republicans think, and I think, that unless you are seeking a profession that requires a higher education, Higher education is not recommended and we need to stop forcing this narrative that college is the next step because we're forcing debt onto the younger generation for NO reason and driving the cost of higher education through the roof.
not sure you speak for all Republicans, my post was based on the study in the OP

I'll post it again,
for the 3rd time now

Views of Higher Education Divided by Party

however, thank you for letting me know your personal beliefs. I've had my own theories, which I've laid out throughout this thread, and I think the answer lies within a conglomerate of opinions and ideas.

I was a huge Republican when I was going through college, and even for a few years after. I didn't snap out of that until I got some real real world life experience.

RNG

Apr 2013
La La Land North
Well....you are right about one thing. Your higher education certainly didn't equip you with people skills, did it?

AND let me point out that "exceptions to the rule" or WHATABOUTISM is a pretty pathetic argument. Apparently, you missed a LOT in college.
"exception to the rule" is right up there with "because I say so" as a logical argument.

Reactions: Clara007
Nov 2005
California
I'm supposed to pander to you when you attempt to talk down to me? yeah, no.
I'm all for reality and suggesting that higher education will result in a job or higher paying job simply isn't true. If you say it is, I'll cite examples why you're wrong.
"examples" aren't really proving the overall point at hand.
Examples can simply point out that some degrees aren't worth it. But that doesn't mean anything about education in general.
Trying to indict education based on "examples" is akin to throwing out the baby with the bathwater...

Only 27 percent of college grads have a job related to their major
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2013/05/20/only-27-percent-of-college-grads-have-a-job-related-to-their-major/
Try to remove your head from your butt. You'll be far better off and thanks for playing.
:rolleyes:
This actually has little to do with the price of tea in China.
It's a reality of the situation that people need to recognize. I graduated in one engineering branch and then went on to get commissioned in the Navy for a separate engineering branch.
I am now working in a job that is unrelated to my undergrad, but my undergrad and experience was crucial in getting me here.

Part of the problem is that the job market has shifted to the extent that having the degree gives you a leg up on the competition, which is another angle that one needs to consider...

Reactions: Clara007 and se7en
Sep 2019
Texas
"and wish he were here to dissect this beautiful example of meaningless verbiage,"

Much more eloquent than I would be in describing - if you can't baffle then with brilliance confuse them with bullshit- which is what that "verbiage_ appears to be from someone who treasures their self importance-

Sep 2019
Texas
Third and final installment. Continued from above.

[Source]
I hope others bother themselves with taking the time to read all you just posted- but, I suspect the usual suspects can't be bothered- they already know all there is to know about everything there is to know about everything.

Sep 2014
On the outside, trickling down on the Insiders
This is the clearest indictment of Republicans regarding this thread.
We are on page 24 of this thread. I haven't seen a single Republican say they are not against education.
College for Coolies

Republicans are against the kind of learning that Liberals support. So anyone calling what the academics preach to their captive students "education" is begging the question. If you want to be honest and propose something worthy of debate, better phrase it, "Why are most Republicans against the kind of education kids are getting today?"

Populists see education as childishly working without pay from those who will benefit from it. Those who benefit individually the most give their own children an adult allowance and paid-up tuition, so they are cynical and hypocritical when they preach that we must please them by going through an indentured-servitude form of education. Republicans aren't against that insulting form, only against its content.

Reactions: Gdjjr
Sep 2014
On the outside, trickling down on the Insiders
decent people aren't racists, and don't look at the racial make-up of the student body to determine if the school is a good school or not

now, yes there are a lot of racists, who probably do, as your post indicates, but that just illustrates that racism is still a very big problem in this Country

I don't know why people are still bringing up race in a thread that has nothing to do with race.
The Race Card Is a Joker. Losers Play It to Make Themselves Feel Like Winners

Because an American History course taught by a Democratic professor would be more honestly titled THOSE HORRIBLE WHITE PEOPLE.

Nov 2005
California
College for Coolies
Republicans are against the kind of learning that Liberals support. So anyone calling what the academics preach to their captive students "education" is begging the question. If you want to be honest and propose something worthy of debate, better phrase it, "Why are most Republicans against the kind of education kids are getting today?"
:rolleyes:
You are trying to change the debate into a strawman argument.
Republicans habitually over-exaggerate the whole "preaching to captive students" crap and pretend the whole situation is flawed.
The vast majority of classes do not involve "preaching to captive students". This isn't about "preaching to captive students", except as a diversion (or excuse) for Republicans.

Populists see education as childishly working without pay from those who will benefit from it. Those who benefit individually the most give their own children an adult allowance and paid-up tuition, so they are cynical and hypocritical when they preach that we must please them by going through an indentured-servitude form of education. Republicans aren't against that insulting form, only against its content.
Your very description does nothing for an intelligible argument against any real form of education.
Instead, it only shows your extreme prejudice against education and your eagerness to give an absurdly negative description of it.

Similarly, when a racist proclaims that he is against blacks because of they are about raping white women, stealing from churches and drinking malt liquor all the time, instead of demonstrating a real reason for why people should be against blacks the racist has demonstrated his own absurd prejudice which has made him stereotype a whole list of hyperbolic problems.

Reactions: Lloyd Christmas