Why are the godless allowed in our universities?

Oct 2019
USA
My understanding is that most, if not all universities began as religious institutions for the purpose of educating people on God and the cosmos, among others.

More recently, atheistic ideologies such as Marxism have crept their way into our universities and public institution - is there any way in which we could remove the godless, and godless ideologies such as Marxism, from our universities - and make them places for learning about the higher, rather than the lower and baser?

As a wonderful example of the heathen barbarism which is allowed to infiltrate our universities:

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
So your understanding is, essentially, most/all colleges were founded as religious organizations and therefore they should have a religious test for college admission.

That’s... something.

Reactions: leekohler2

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
Given the fact that virtually everything in Europe was run by the church when universities were being formed is the reason universities were formed that way. So were wars and persecution of science and all the rest of the bad stuff that was the dark ages.

Reactions: skews13
Oct 2019
USA
So your understanding is, essentially, most/all colleges were founded as religious organizations and therefore they should have a religious test for college admission.

That’s... something.
Well, theoretically the state could merely cut all public funding of schools and universities - and allow private donors to take over.

Then we could convert all schools and universities to religious ones, and ban all atheist or secularist ideologies such as Marxism from our campuses.

(If atheists wanted to homeschool their kids, I won't be in favor of the state forcing them to attend a school, but regarding the rest of this idea, I see nothing unconstitutional about it.)

Oct 2019
USA
Given the fact that virtually everything in Europe was run by the church when universities were being formed is the reason universities were formed that way. So were wars and persecution of science and all the rest of the bad stuff that was the dark ages.
Eh? The dark ages is something of a myth - today it's the ethics within science which restrict its operations, rather than the Church (when science and the church were the same institution).

So even today, science is limited by "faith" based beliefs or ethical systems (e.x. which prevent people from performing experiments on Jews, and abominable things of that nature).

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
Well, theoretically the state could merely cut all public funding of schools and universities - and allow private donors to take over.

Then we could convert all schools and universities to religious ones, and ban all atheist or secularist ideologies such as Marxism from our campuses.

(If atheists wanted to homeschool their kids, I won't be in favor of the state forcing them to attend a school, but regarding the rest of this idea, I see nothing unconstitutional about it.)
And until that day comes, you’ll have to accept the difficult fact that publicly funded universities can’t discriminate against people you disagree with. That must be tough for you.

Oct 2019
USA
And until that day comes, you’ll have to accept the difficult fact that publicly funded universities can’t discriminate against people you disagree with. That must be tough for you.
Why not?

I see no reason why we can't ban Marxism from our universities.

Sure, in the current state of affairs, we'd be limited from publicly funding them if they promoted religion or Christianity, but assuming we merely banned Marxism or atheist ideologies, I see no reason that couldn't be done.

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
Why not?

I see no reason why we can't ban Marxism from our universities.

Sure, in the current state of affairs, we'd be limited from publicly funding them if they promoted religion or Christianity, but assuming we merely banned Marxism or atheist ideologies, I see no reason that couldn't be done.
that first amendment part from that constitution thing kinda talks about how you can’t discriminate against people based on their religious beliefs. You should read it.

Sep 2019
U.S.A.
My understanding is that most, if not all universities began as religious institutions for the purpose of educating people on God and the cosmos, among others.

More recently, atheistic ideologies such as Marxism have crept their way into our universities and public institution - is there any way in which we could remove the godless, and godless ideologies such as Marxism, from our universities - and make them places for learning about the higher, rather than the lower and baser?

As a wonderful example of the heathen barbarism which is allowed to infiltrate our universities:

Your "Understanding" is flawed, so your premise is invalid.

Reactions: hoosier88
Oct 2019
USA
Your "Understanding" is flawed, so your premise is invalid.
If we defuned them and allowed private donors to take over, we could Christianize them, I'd venture - or make them centers of God and higher learning, rather than centers of atheistic identity politics, and base things like that. (There may be worth in allowing the study of other world religions as well, but I see little worth in atheism).

(Whether that would happen or not is different, but in theory we could without invalidating the Constitution - this would effectively eliminate atheism from the West and its academia - America, Britain, and Europe - for the foreseeable future, and might be a victory worth fighting for due to the evils of atheism).