Why did Ted Cruz "endorse" Trump?

Aug 2014
Earth
Most of the GOP hated Trump last summer. Few Republicans support him except for a fringe, people like Christie, Gingrich, Guiliani. Not exactly the party brokers or really the leaders anymore. Doesn't seem like to me that Cruz not supporting Trump would hurt him politically. Especially after Trump loses the election badly, which I think will happen. So why endorse Trump at all? Much less being seen on video making phone calls to GOP doners. That's sad.

I know a lot of you do not like Cruz, but Trump made up some outrageous shit about Cruz's wife and father, just awful stuff without any truth to it at all. Why didn't Cruz find the now infamous "Grab their pussy" tape a year ago? I would think as a contender for President that you have your boys out trying to find dirt on your opponent 24/7.

Why did Cruz do that convention speech? Had to know it was going to be a trap set by Trump to make him look bad. I think Cruz did pretty good by telling people to vote their conscience, while being pilloried to death by the angry, goofy Trump delegates, with Donald himself walking in like some blockaded Roman Emperor. Why didn't Cruz refuse to speak, even if he had to lie (my kid has a toothache and a fever) to get out of it?

In 3 years or so when 2020 election starts to crank up and the GOP has their first debate, how will the folks who "supported" Trump are going against those who didn't support Trump? Will the candidates who did not support Trump be vilified by those that did, because the agreement was to support the candidate no matter how hated? I think probably Jeb! and Cruz will take another crack at it in 2020 and this should be part of the discourse. Who was really more loyal to the party?

Jun 2013
Ohio
Lyin' Ted wants to inherit Trump's supporters for 2020. He thinks that he can be a more polished version of Trump in 2020.

Reactions: 1 person
Dec 2015
Arizona
Most of the GOP hated Trump last summer. Few Republicans support him except for a fringe, people like Christie, Gingrich, Guiliani. Not exactly the party brokers or really the leaders anymore. Doesn't seem like to me that Cruz not supporting Trump would hurt him politically. Especially after Trump loses the election badly, which I think will happen. So why endorse Trump at all? Much less being seen on video making phone calls to GOP doners. That's sad.

I know a lot of you do not like Cruz, but Trump made up some outrageous shit about Cruz's wife and father, just awful stuff without any truth to it at all. Why didn't Cruz find the now infamous "Grab their pussy" tape a year ago? I would think as a contender for President that you have your boys out trying to find dirt on your opponent 24/7.

Why did Cruz do that convention speech? Had to know it was going to be a trap set by Trump to make him look bad. I think Cruz did pretty good by telling people to vote their conscience, while being pilloried to death by the angry, goofy Trump delegates, with Donald himself walking in like some blockaded Roman Emperor. Why didn't Cruz refuse to speak, even if he had to lie (my kid has a toothache and a fever) to get out of it?

In 3 years or so when 2020 election starts to crank up and the GOP has their first debate, how will the folks who "supported" Trump are going against those who didn't support Trump? Will the candidates who did not support Trump be vilified by those that did, because the agreement was to support the candidate no matter how hated? I think probably Jeb! and Cruz will take another crack at it in 2020 and this should be part of the discourse. Who was really more loyal to the party?

Ted says it was "the pledge". He took "the pledge". He stands by "the pledge".
What a bunch of doodoo! He's covering his behind. He's setting himself up for his reelection as a senator and a possible run in 2020. It won't happen. Even Texans can't stomach Ted.