why do americans live such short lives ?

Dec 2018
London, UK
It is amazing to watch the food choices some adults make time after time, but at the end of the day life is so often about the choices we make.
Definitely. Where education is lacking, choice is very much determined by marketing messages, so you see huge disparities between those who choose organic and whole foods primarily and those who fall in the trap of processed foods. And so much of illness is linked to this simple fact. The good news is that information is widely available online and in community centres, so there's a way out for most everybody. Eating healthily doesn't need to be more expensive in the US, if you look for good suppliers.

Dec 2018
New England
Definitely. Where education is lacking, choice is very much determined by marketing messages, so you see huge disparities between those who choose organic and whole foods primarily and those who fall in the trap of processed foods. And so much of illness is linked to this simple fact. The good news is that information is widely available online and in community centres, so there's a way out for most everybody. Eating healthily doesn't need to be more expensive in the US, if you look for good suppliers.
I think most folks know fried meat, a side of fries, and a 32oz Pepsi aren't good for you, yet some order it regularly; they just don't care (at least for now). On the flip side, the smoking rate in most European countries is significantly higher than it is in the US, and the health risks associated with that activity are even more well known.

We all seem to pick our poisons.

Dec 2018
London, UK
I think most folks know fried meat, a side of fries, and a 32oz Pepsi aren't good for you, yet some order it regularly; they just don't care (at least for now). On the flip side, the smoking rate in most European countries is significantly higher than it is in the US, and the health risks associated with that activity are even more well known.

We all seem to pick our poisons.
Smoking, drugs and drinking are rampant in the UK. I wonder to what extent does our Government enable addiction to the latter, because so much of their income comes from booze tax. Now during the Christmas period especially visiting any A&E unit is a real eye opener. Funny, how poverty and health don't always need to be related when you look at the world's nations.

Dec 2018
New England
Smoking, drugs and drinking are rampant in the UK. I wonder to what extent does our Government enable addiction to the latter, because so much of their income comes from booze tax. Now during the Christmas period especially visiting any A&E unit is a real eye opener. Funny, how poverty and health don't always need to be related when you look at the world's nations.
There's only so much any government can do to address self-destructive behavior.