Why do atheists believe in "human rights"?

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
Then since I'm human, not an animal - I shouldn't care if animals or plants have any rights.

So why are rights for nature and animals a tenant of the Secular Humanist faith then?
Because taking care of the planet IS GOOD FOR THE HUMANS !!! I never ceased to be amazed at those who call themselves Christain. They will point to all the beauty and wonder that is nature and INSIST it is all by God's design. Then turn around and DESTROY IT by drilling for oil, strip mining, filling in wetlands to build houses and just, in general, using and abusing the planet. Just because someone doesn't believe in your version of your religion or any religion for that fact, does NOT make them bad people. Their non-belief doesn't prevent them from being compassionate, caring, empathetic and all-around decent human beings.

Anyone that does what's right, even when there is no fear of punishment, is a good person. If the only thing keeping you from doing something wrong is the fear of being punished for it, then you are at your core, not a good person.

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
Do you? Why?

And Secular Humanism isn't a "faith" but has trouble adjusting for one simple fact - humans are a disease...

In an unbelievable turn of irony, some of THE most profound words ever spoken were from a science fiction movie. In the first Matrix movie the "bad guy" explains that a virus kills its host. That on planet earth HUMANS were the virus.

Jun 2019
ROT
Well, what's your point?

Living in America, you're required by law to demonstrate some form of morality, such as not murdering or stealing - and if you don't, then you'd be put in prison and lose your rights.

So even in a "free country", you're not entirely free, and in practice you or the state is required to preserve your rights, or else they would be meaningless, such as your rights would be in the face of a criminal with a loaded gun who cares not for notions such as "rights".

If the Bible or religion expecting "moral behavior" from its members means they "aren't free" or "have no rights" - this is not entirely different from the law in any civilized nation, so what is your point?

You aren't "free" in America to murder, to rape, or to molest kids, or other things which atheists could rationalize doing if "life is meaningless", as they often believe.
Your God had no problem slaughtering men, women, children, infants, slaves, and animals. He even helped.

Only Anarchy is "total" freedom. And religion doesn't have freedom or rights, it has the faithful like you (and those highly dogmatic - like you).

If religion made people "moral" most of the problems of the world would have vanished long ago.

As for life being "meaningless", that is why Man invented God (and gods), not the other way around...

Jun 2019
ROT
Something to keep in mind OP - most of us who don't believe in your faith (or any) do so not because we haven't studied it, but because we have and found it to be - dogmatic nonsense.

The world works exactly as expected - if there is no God...

Reactions: leekohler2
May 2018
none
Then since I'm human, not an animal - I shouldn't care if animals or plants have any rights.

So why are rights for nature and animals a tenant of the Secular Humanist faith then?
First of all, if you are going to try to use words, get them right. The term is "tenet", not "tenant". A tenant is some who rents an apartment from a landlord.

Secondly, how do you manage to twist everything to the point of insanity? Where do you even get this shit?

Reactions: Clara007
Oct 2019
USA
Your God had no problem slaughtering men, women, children, infants, slaves, and animals. He even helped.

Only Anarchy is "total" freedom. And religion doesn't have freedom or rights, it has the faithful like you (and those highly dogmatic - like you).

If religion made people "moral" most of the problems of the world would have vanished long ago.

As for life being "meaningless", that is why Man invented God (and gods), not the other way around...
Not at all, God is the meaning of life, it's only to those who lack God, that life becomes meaningless.

If life is meaningless, then nothing is "wrong" with those things, now is there?

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
Not at all, God is the meaning of life, it's only to those who lack God, that life becomes meaningless.

If life is meaningless, then nothing is "wrong" with those things, now is there?
WHO are you to say someone's life is meaningless ? Stephen Hawking was one of THE most brilliant minds of our age. Are you saying his life was meaningless ? Are you saying he didn't contribute to the betterment of humans ? That the entire human race is NOT better off for his existence ? Just because he didn;t belive the way you do ??? WHO do you think you are ?? GOD ??

Jun 2019
ROT

Didn't say there was but don't look to the Bible to say it's wrong - your God had no issues with it, it was His command.

And I don't need a God (or gods) to give meaning to life. That, unlike you, I can do on my own...