Why do atheists believe they have "rights"?

Oct 2019
USA
There is such a thing as rights, they are enshrined in the legal framework of a nation, and can be tested via the legal system
The legal system isn't a scientific institution based on empirical evidence.

They don’t have the right, but they might have the power to do so, but again It is also possible for atheists to ban religion if they have the power to do so, though l’m not advocating either scenario

ln either case, it doesn’t alter the fact that in the USA and the UK people do have rights, which are written down and backed by the institutions of the state.
Again, if Christians wanted to repeal the First Amendment and make Christianity the state religion, you would have some inherent objection to this - you wouldn't just submit and say it's okay.

Oct 2019
USA
Quoting bible versus won't get you anywhere unless you can establish why the bible is a reliable source. I can give you quotes from older religions and we'd get nowhere.

For the third time, how have you deduced god is real? What do you mean when you say it's self evident.
Even without bringing the Bible into it, I'd say it is self-evident and deducible.

(As far as writing a thesis on that, I wouldn't be able to do that at this time).

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
Even without bringing the Bible into it, I'd say it is self-evident and deducible.

(As far as writing a thesis on that, I wouldn't be able to do that at this time).
OMG for the FORTH time, how have you deduced a god is real and that it is self evident?

If I just type out "Woo Tang Clan" over and over and over again it's not going to convince anyone I'm a member. You need to provide evidence to back up your claims.

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
There are arguments for god based on experience or logical deduction.

So I'm not sure of your experience or your logic.
OMG you are 100% a presupositionalist! LOL Oh this is going to be so much fun! You're my new favorite DTT member!

Apr 2015
Stockport, Cheshire. UK
The legal system isn't a scientific institution based on empirical evidence.
No, but a scientist if he wanted to examine whether we had any rights would have plenty of empirical evidence in the written legal framework of your nation and the practical evidence of the law courts.

Again, if Christians wanted to repeal the First Amendment and make Christianity the state religion, you would have some inherent objection to this - you wouldn't just submit and say it's okay.
If I assume I was American, you are right I wouldn't just submit, because I have the legal RIGHT to both protest and act against such an eventuality.

Reactions: leekohler2
Nov 2012
Michigan
Rights from any government are a fiction. A persons rights are inherent. A government that protects this is good. A government that subverts this is bad. This is part of the founding basis of the US. Any subversion of this idea is an attack on our constitution.