Why do liberals think Trump supporters are stupid?

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
The difference in Clinton and Trump, Clinton was guilty of what he was being investigated.

The investigation started at the illegal firing of the travel department employees.
Then White Water, which the Clintons were able to hide evidence to out last the Statute of Limitations
Then he lied in a state court and a federal court, and paid 2 people to lie to the state and federal courts. (this 2 were the articles of impeachement) the senate did not think the crimes warranted removal, on January 21, 2001 Ex president Clinton pleaded guilty of 1 count of lying under oath and obstruction of justice.
The thread is about Trump, not Clinton.

Reactions: Clara007
Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
Opinion: Adam Troy Castro
October 2018

"Why do liberals think Trump supporters are stupid?" The serious answer.

Sigh; we do sometimes fall into that rhetorical trap, out of frustration, but if we were to be 100% honest with you we would admit that we find quite a few people on our own side stupid as well, mostly people who have boiled all the complicated issues into slogans and really don't comprehend what they're saying. I think you guys probably look at the dumber of your compatriots and think, "Jesus, this guy's barely rubbing his brain cells together, but at least he can wave a sign."
No, this is what we really think about Trump supporters, the rich, the poor, the malignant and the innocently well-meaning, the ones who think and the ones who don't.
That when you saw a man who had owned a fraudulent University, intent on scamming poor people, you thought "Fine."
That when you saw a man who had made it his business practice to stiff his creditors, you said, "Okay."
That when you heard him proudly brag about his own history of sexual abuse, you said, "No problem."
That when he made up stories about seeing Muslim-Americans in the thousands cheering the destruction of the World Trade Center, you said, "Not an issue."
That when you saw him brag that he could shoot a man on Fifth Avenue and you wouldn't care, you chirped, "He sure knows me."
That when you heard him illustrate his own character by telling that cute story about the elderly guest bleeding on the floor at his country club, the story about how he turned his back and how it was all an imposition on him, you said, "That's cool!"
That when you saw him mock the disabled, you thought it was the funniest thing you ever saw.
That when you heard him brag that he doesn't read books, you said, "Well, who has time?"
That when the Central Park Five were compensated as innocent men convicted of a crime they didn't commit, and he angrily said that they should still be in prison, you said, "That makes sense."
That when you heard him tell his supporters to beat up protesters and that he would hire attorneys, you thought, "Yes!"
That when you heard him tell one rally to confiscate a man's coat before throwing him out into the freezing cold, you said, "What a great guy!"
That you have watched the parade of neo-Nazis and white supremacists with whom he curries favor, while refusing to condemn outright Nazis, and you have said, "Thumbs up!"
That you hear him unable to talk to foreign dignitaries without insulting their countries and demanding that they praise his electoral win, you said, "That's the way I want my President to be."
That you have watched him remove expertise from all layers of government in favor of people who make money off of eliminating protections in the industries they're supposed to be regulating and you have said, "What a genius!"
That you have heard him continue to profit from his businesses, in part by leveraging his position as President, to the point of overcharging the Secret Service for space in the properties he owns, and you have said, "That's smart!"
That you have heard him say that it was difficult to help Puerto Rico because it was the middle of water and you have said, "That makes sense."
That you have seen him start fights with every country from Canada to New Zealand while praising Russia and quote, "falling in love" with the dictator of North Korea, and you have said, "That's statesmanship!"
That you have witnessed all the thousand and one other manifestations of corruption and low moral character and outright animalistic rudeness and contempt for you, the working American voter, and you still show up grinning and wearing your MAGA hats and threatening to beat up anybody who says otherwise.
What you don't get, Trump supporters in 2018, is that succumbing to frustration and thinking of you as stupid may be wrong and unhelpful, but it's also...hear me...charitable.
Because if you're NOT stupid, we must turn to other explanations, and most of them are *less* flattering.
Clara I have pondered this question many times. Even posted my thoughts here on a few occasions. I simply do not have an answer. I have co-workers, friends, even family. In every other aspect of their lives they are normal, reasonable, rational, caring, loving, honest and overall decent human beings. People who love their families and appreciate their friends. They go to work, they raise their kids, they pay their mortgages, they are in every aspect exactly what you'd expect them to be.

And yet, they simply put aside their entire system of values, their religious beliefs, their morals and ethics and give full voiced support to a man that is the very opposite of everything they ever claimed to value. They openly accept in Trump character flaws that no politician in our entire history has ever been able to publicly display and remain a viable candidate, much less stay in office. The most baffling of the bunch are the evangelicals. Prior to Trump, any candidate would have been eliminated in the primaries faster than you can say "praise Jesus" based solely on his sexual history. The multiple wives and the adultery alone should have meant the end to Trump's campaign immediately after the first caucus in Iowa !! But millions of evangelicals turned out, passed over men with long histories of religious belief and more importantly free of scandals, sexual or other wise, and made Trump their nominee. I do sort of understand voting for him in the actual election. Hillary wasn't much of an alternative choice so I can see them not voting for her. But I do not and cannot fathom why they voted for him in the primaries. Cannot imagine what would make them set aside long and hard held religious convictions and vote for someone so obviously devoid of morals, principals or ethics, much less religious beliefs. The only thing I can surmise is some sort of massive mob induced cognitive dissonance.

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
We've heard for about 18 months that the investigation is coming to a close. I've called BS the whole way through.

I gotta admit though, it feels like this might be the time.
Yep.

Too bad that at this point in time even if Mueller walked off of Mount Sinai with still smoking stone tablets etched by the finger of Yahweh, the report still would be rejected by most if not all Trump supporters.

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
Yep.

Too bad that at this point in time even if Mueller walked off of Mount Sinai with still smoking stone tablets etched by the finger of Yahweh, the report still would be rejected by most if not all Trump supporters.

But all Mueller has walled off the mountain with is 18 months of unproductive political masturbation.

Reactions: Jimgorn
Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
And the 2016 produced the fewest flipped seats in any midterm election for decades.

in other words the Democrats sucked in the last election, they lost seats in the senate.

Dec 2015
Arizona
I appreciate the feedback, Clara. My bigger point is we all have to share this country. Regardless of what you think of President Trump and regardless of how stupid you find his supporters, they're not going away. They're your neighbors. They're my neighbors. They're my family, in fact.

As I've said before on here, feel free to attack the facts of one's position. But it's better not to attack the character of the person holding that position.

UDub, first of all. I did not write the OP. I intentionally made it very clear that I DID NOT write it. I shared it on DTT because obviously SOMEONE--in fact many SOMEONES--ARE asking the question: IF you aren't stupid how can you continue to support this man?
These someones are begging the question because millions of Americans honestly DON'T understand the devotion--the worship--the cult-like adoration of Trump. There has to be a reason and if there is NOT a sound reason there's only one conclusion left. "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable must be the truth."
As Cat pointed out, the last two lines TRY to be kinder, gentler:
What you don't get, Trump supporters in 2018, is that succumbing to frustration and thinking of you as stupid may be wrong and unhelpful, but it's also...hear me...charitable.
Because if you're NOT stupid, we must turn to other explanations, and most of them are *less* flattering.

Do you think you are the only one with friends and family who voted for Trump? I am originally a Texas girl. I come from a LONG LONG line of Conservative Republicans. These are folks that I dearly love, and they voted for Trump and Ted Cruz. My mother had an 8 x 10 glossy of George W Bush on her bulletin board until the day she died. My parents contributed thousands of dollars to the GOP....so YES. I get it and I also think my family and friends are smart enough to know....they did a stupid thing. AND that's the point that you seem to be missing.
I live in a Red State. Most of my neighbors AND FRIENDS voted for Trump so again, YES. I get what you are saying. It pains me to think these very intelligent people made that decision, BUT THEY DID.
I have followed your advice to a T. I have presented and attacked the facts--again and again--until I'm exhausted, but eventually I MUST question the character/intelligence of people who disregarded all they have previously held dear.
Everybody does stupid stuff. Everybody makes mistakes. But then what? Do we just keep making them? Doesn't anyone finally say STOP.
If you don't want to LOOK STUPID, STOP acting stupid. Admit the mistake, whatever it takes. Is there a 12 Step Program for Trump Addiction??

Reactions: catus felis
Dec 2018
Wisconsin
UDub, first of all. I did not write the OP. I intentionally made it very clear that I DID NOT write it. I shared it on DTT because obviously SOMEONE--in fact many SOMEONES--ARE asking the question: IF you aren't stupid how can you continue to support this man?
These someones are begging the question because millions of Americans honestly DON'T understand the devotion--the worship--the cult-like adoration of Trump. There has to be a reason and if there is NOT a sound reason there's only one conclusion left. "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable must be the truth."
As Cat pointed out, the last two lines TRY to be kinder, gentler:

Do you think you are the only one with friends and family who voted for Trump? I am originally a Texas girl. I come from a LONG LONG line of Conservative Republicans. These are folks that I dearly love, and they voted for Trump and Ted Cruz. My mother had an 8 x 10 glossy of George W Bush on her bulletin board until the day she died. My parents contributed thousands of dollars to the GOP....so YES. I get it and I also think my family and friends are smart enough to know....they did a stupid thing. AND that's the point that you seem to be missing.
I live in a Red State. Most of my neighbors AND FRIENDS voted for Trump so again, YES. I get what you are saying. It pains me to think these very intelligent people made that decision, BUT THEY DID.
I have followed your advice to a T. I have presented and attacked the facts--again and again--until I'm exhausted, but eventually I MUST question the character/intelligence of people who disregarded all they have previously held dear.
Everybody does stupid stuff. Everybody makes mistakes. But then what? Do we just keep making them? Doesn't anyone finally say STOP.
If you don't want to LOOK STUPID, STOP acting stupid. Admit the mistake, whatever it takes. Is there a 12 Step Program for Trump Addiction??
Continue to attack the claims, but don’t attack the character. If you tell me I’m wrong, I can blow you off. If you show me I’m wrong, I have to face reality.