Why do liberals think Trump supporters are stupid?

May 2018
Chicago
Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
It not illegal for trump to enter an NDA for actions that occurred before he was elected.
I don't care about the NDA. Frankly, most democrats don't care either. Personally I don't even care about Trump sexual escapades. I'm certainly the last person that should judge him for that !! Most dems don't really care either. He is what he is. A rich play boy.

But you see TNV. You are a prime example of the very kind of person this thread is discussing. What is confusing is why you don't care ??? You have proclaimed yourself a Christian and a family man. Someone that would never cheat on his wife. Someone that will defend his family.

If one of your daughters came home and told you that some man had grabbed her by her private parts, you'd be in the car, down the road, gun in hand looking for the bastard. If you found out that he had bragged about assaulting your daughter I can't imagine he'd have long to live. I know I certainly wouldn't allow someone to get away with such an assault on any women in my family.

But you sir, voted for a man that not only committed such acts, quite possibly multiple times, but bragged about sexually assaulting those women. When exactly did the Christian right decide sexual assault was an acceptable character trait in our politicians ??

The Christian right has spent the last two decades complaining that Clinton wasn't run out town on rails for getting a blow job in the oral oval office, yet you and millions of them voted for a man that has multiple ex wives, has cheated on every one of them, then tried to cover it up.

When exactly did the Christian right decide adultery was an acceptable character trait in our politicians ?? Are they going to apologize to Clinton and the rest of the country for spending years and millions of dollars trying to prosecute him for getting that blow job ??

If someone simply refused to pay for work you had already performed, how would you feel ?? Would you ever trust that person again ??? Likewise if you found out a close friend, someone you liked and admired had scammed millions of dollars from thousands of people, including other friends. Would you ever trust or even associate with the person again ?? When exactly did the Christian right decide theft and fraud were acceptable character traits in our politicians ??

This is what I and many other find confusing. The right, and particularly the christian right, has at least for the entirety of my life, portrayed themselves as the keepers of the "faith", the protectors of "family values", the arbiter of the nations "morality".

When did theft, fraud, sexual assault and adultery become values the Christian right deems "acceptable" ??

May 2018
Chicago
I don't care about the NDA. Frankly, most democrats don't care either. Personally I don't even care about Trump sexual escapades. I'm certainly the last person that should judge him for that !! Most dems don't really care either. He is what he is. A rich play boy.

But you see TNV. You are a prime example of the very kind of person this thread is discussing. What is confusing is why you don't care ??? You have proclaimed yourself a Christian and a family man. Someone that would never cheat on his wife. Someone that will defend his family.

If one of your daughters came home and told you that some man had grabbed her by her private parts, you'd be in the car, down the road, gun in hand looking for the bastard. If you found out that he had bragged about assaulting your daughter I can't imagine he'd have long to live. I know I certainly wouldn't allow someone to get away with such an assault on any women in my family.

But you sir, voted for a man that not only committed such acts, quite possibly multiple times, but bragged about sexually assaulting those women. When exactly did the Christian right decide sexual assault was an acceptable character trait in our politicians ??

The Christian right has spent the last two decades complaining that Clinton wasn't run out town on rails for getting a blow job in the oral oval office, yet you and millions of them voted for a man that has multiple ex wives, has cheated on every one of them, then tried to cover it up.

When exactly did the Christian right decide adultery was an acceptable character trait in our politicians ?? Are they going to apologize to Clinton and the rest of the country for spending years and millions of dollars trying to prosecute him for getting that blow job ??

If someone simply refused to pay for work you had already performed, how would you feel ?? Would you ever trust that person again ??? Likewise if you found out a close friend, someone you liked and admired had scammed millions of dollars from thousands of people, including other friends. Would you ever trust or even associate with the person again ?? When exactly did the Christian right decide theft and fraud were acceptable character traits in our politicians ??

This is what I and many other find confusing. The right, and particularly the christian right, has at least for the entirety of my life, portrayed themselves as the keepers of the "faith", the protectors of "family values", the arbiter of the nations "morality".

When did theft, fraud, sexual assault and adultery become values the Christian right deems "acceptable" ??
Just keep holding onto that post when they try to claim a democratic candidate is "immoral"

Apr 2013
La La Land North

Over/under for the number of centuries before TNV responds? I go for.

Dec 2015
Arizona
Which side has he taken?
Here's the sentence: As I've said before on here, feel free to attack the facts of one's position. But it's better not to attack the character of the person holding that position.

Here's the problem: One's position is inextricably linked to one's character--in all things. UDub states it well when he says "it's BETTER not to attack the character of a person". Of course, it is. But HOW do you separate the two?
Our actions ARE OUR character. Our actions are an outward sign of an inward inclination--our impulses and yes, our weaknesses. It is our actions or inactions that define us because THEY are the visible signs.

Do we defend the character of a murderer? A rapist? How about a cheat--a liar--a con artist?
Do we defend the character of a bystander who watches a child drowning in a lake and does nothing?

We should all be on the same side here---the side that condemns not only the perpetrator but those who stand by and do nothing--those who say nothing, never object and never censure, because they too are guilty.
UDub has chosen that side.

Sep 2015
Brown Township, Ohio
Opinion: Adam Troy Castro
October 2018

"Why do liberals think Trump supporters are stupid?" The serious answer.

Sigh; we do sometimes fall into that rhetorical trap, out of frustration, but if we were to be 100% honest with you we would admit that we find quite a few people on our own side stupid as well, mostly people who have boiled all the complicated issues into slogans and really don't comprehend what they're saying. I think you guys probably look at the dumber of your compatriots and think, "Jesus, this guy's barely rubbing his brain cells together, but at least he can wave a sign."
No, this is what we really think about Trump supporters, the rich, the poor, the malignant and the innocently well-meaning, the ones who think and the ones who don't.
That when you saw a man who had owned a fraudulent University, intent on scamming poor people, you thought "Fine."
That when you saw a man who had made it his business practice to stiff his creditors, you said, "Okay."
That when you heard him proudly brag about his own history of sexual abuse, you said, "No problem."
That when he made up stories about seeing Muslim-Americans in the thousands cheering the destruction of the World Trade Center, you said, "Not an issue."
That when you saw him brag that he could shoot a man on Fifth Avenue and you wouldn't care, you chirped, "He sure knows me."
That when you heard him illustrate his own character by telling that cute story about the elderly guest bleeding on the floor at his country club, the story about how he turned his back and how it was all an imposition on him, you said, "That's cool!"
That when you saw him mock the disabled, you thought it was the funniest thing you ever saw.
That when you heard him brag that he doesn't read books, you said, "Well, who has time?"
That when the Central Park Five were compensated as innocent men convicted of a crime they didn't commit, and he angrily said that they should still be in prison, you said, "That makes sense."
That when you heard him tell his supporters to beat up protesters and that he would hire attorneys, you thought, "Yes!"
That when you heard him tell one rally to confiscate a man's coat before throwing him out into the freezing cold, you said, "What a great guy!"
That you have watched the parade of neo-Nazis and white supremacists with whom he curries favor, while refusing to condemn outright Nazis, and you have said, "Thumbs up!"
That you hear him unable to talk to foreign dignitaries without insulting their countries and demanding that they praise his electoral win, you said, "That's the way I want my President to be."
That you have watched him remove expertise from all layers of government in favor of people who make money off of eliminating protections in the industries they're supposed to be regulating and you have said, "What a genius!"
That you have heard him continue to profit from his businesses, in part by leveraging his position as President, to the point of overcharging the Secret Service for space in the properties he owns, and you have said, "That's smart!"
That you have heard him say that it was difficult to help Puerto Rico because it was the middle of water and you have said, "That makes sense."
That you have seen him start fights with every country from Canada to New Zealand while praising Russia and quote, "falling in love" with the dictator of North Korea, and you have said, "That's statesmanship!"
That you have witnessed all the thousand and one other manifestations of corruption and low moral character and outright animalistic rudeness and contempt for you, the working American voter, and you still show up grinning and wearing your MAGA hats and threatening to beat up anybody who says otherwise.
What you don't get, Trump supporters in 2018, is that succumbing to frustration and thinking of you as stupid may be wrong and unhelpful, but it's also...hear me...charitable.
Because if you're NOT stupid, we must turn to other explanations, and most of them are *less* flattering.

Low IQ.

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
Here's the sentence: As I've said before on here, feel free to attack the facts of one's position. But it's better not to attack the character of the person holding that position.

Here's the problem: One's position is inextricably linked to one's character--in all things. UDub states it well when he says "it's BETTER not to attack the character of a person". Of course, it is. But HOW do you separate the two?
Our actions ARE OUR character. Our actions are an outward sign of an inward inclination--our impulses and yes, our weaknesses. It is our actions or inactions that define us because THEY are the visible signs.

Do we defend the character of a murderer? A rapist? How about a cheat--a liar--a con artist?
Do we defend the character of a bystander who watches a child drowning in a lake and does nothing?

We should all be on the same side here---the side that condemns not only the perpetrator but those who stand by and do nothing--those who say nothing, never object and never censure, because they too are guilty.
UDub has chosen that side.
Thank you for telling me about me. I didn't know these things about myself.