Why do we tax cigarettes?

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
Why do we tax cigarettes? We not only tax them but the taxes on them are outrageous.

Is it just because it's been socially demonized?

Is it because it's just another thing that the state can tax w/o getting complaints from the public?

Is it because it can be hidden under the guise of public interest?

Apr 2013
La La Land North
Canadian stats have shown a drop in smoking rates each time the tax has been raised. And it's a politician's dream. Lots of money from a "sin tax". By taxing something that only a lawyer paid huge bucks by a tobacco company will defend, they don't get anywhere near the expressions of anger compared to any other tax.

So health benefits, revenue and little or no backlash. And praise from a large and growing segment of the population. Wonderful from their perspective.

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
That's part II of a lot of problems.
I'm not alone saying that I don't like taxes. I don't mind the fact that cigarettes are taxed or even the fact that that they are taxed a bit higher. But what's the justification for the steady increase? Yes taxes are swept under this rug or that one and that is a major problem.

Dec 2006
New Haven, CT
One thing I don't understand - why can only poor people afford to smoke? I don't know one single upper middle class person who smokes - and who isn't aghast at the cost of cigarettes with all the taxes.

I used to smoke - but there is no way I could afford my habit now, if I still smoked.

But when I drive through a poor section of town - or at a bus stop! - everybody is walking around with cigs hanging out of their mouths or in their fingers.

Weird.

Aug 2013
United States
Everyone I know who legitimately smokes tobacco rolls their own. It's far cheaper and a hell of a lot more satisfying. That, or they smokes swishers. But that's some real dirt shit right there. Swishers are meant for one thing and one thing only.

But they tax it because they can.

Feb 2014
nunya
One thing I don't understand - why can only poor people afford to smoke? I don't know one single upper middle class person who smokes - and who isn't aghast at the cost of cigarettes with all the taxes.

I used to smoke - but there is no way I could afford my habit now, if I still smoked.

But when I drive through a poor section of town - or at a bus stop! - everybody is walking around with cigs hanging out of their mouths or in their fingers.

Weird.
You want the truth on that or the watered down make you feel good story? Fuck it here goes the gospel according to coke on that. Poor neighborhoods begat poor people in a never ending cycle, well not just neighborhoods, it could be mountain tops in Appalachia or wherever. A famous comedy line states, "you show me a 3 year old wondering around a flea market in a shit filled diaper sucking a Coca-Cola out of a bottle and I will show you a future nascar fan". Ignorance begats ignorance begats ignorance. Middle class and upper class children are raised by intelligent people. Poor people in general are not. Doesn't mean all poor people are dumb. Just means there is a culture ignorant and uneducated alive and well within poor areas.