Why does the left ignore the threat of islam?

Apr 2019
cleveland ohio
I am rabidly secualr and like chritopher hitchens richard dawkins and bill maer i get lable islmophobic .. mea culpa in my mind there is much to be afraid of if you are a secualr person with liberal values, why apologize for their crimes whats the deal?

Apr 2019
cleveland ohio
idk anyone on the Left who ignores religious extremism. we just dont get all Islamaphobic about things.

there are insane religious extremists from all kinds of faiths, and they are all a threat to our quality of life.
islamiphobic right name calling

Graham's Hierarchy of Disagreement lists name calling as the lowest type of argument in a disagreement.
Name calling is a form of verbal abuse in which insulting or demeaning labels are directed at an individual or group. This phenomenon is studied by a variety of academic disciplines such as anthropology, child psychology, and political
DO i far islam as a person with secular values damn right i do

Sep 2015
Stage Left
islamiphobic right name calling

Graham's Hierarchy of Disagreement lists name calling as the lowest type of argument in a disagreement.
Name calling is a form of verbal abuse in which insulting or demeaning labels are directed at an individual or group. This phenomenon is studied by a variety of academic disciplines such as anthropology, child psychology, and political
DO i far islam as a person with secular values damn right i do
ummmmm, i didnt call you or anyone else names. i replied to your title that the Left ignores the threat of Islam and simply said idk anyone who does, we just dont go full out Islamaphobic on it

reading is good. understanding what you read is better....

Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
I am rabidly secualr and like chritopher hitchens richard dawkins and bill maer i get lable islmophobic .. mea culpa in my mind there is much to be afraid of if you are a secualr person with liberal values, why apologize for their crimes whats the deal?
I don’t fear Islamic extemism as much as I fear Christian extremism because here, in the United States, Muslims have no power. Christians have a LOT of power and have shown absolutely no compunction in using it.

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
I don’t fear Islamic extemism as much as I fear Christian extremism because here, in the United States, Muslims have no power. Christians have a LOT of power and have shown absolutely no compunction in using it.

Who do you think flew planes into the towers in NYC?

Reactions: kbear
Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
18 years ago. How many since then?
Meanwhile how many laws have been passed to restrict abortion rights? How many laws passed to allow discrimination in the name of religious freedom? How many ethically challenged, moronic TV reality stars have been elected President with the enthusiastic support of the Religious Right?

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
18 years ago. How many since then?
Meanwhile how many laws have been passed to restrict abortion rights? How many laws passed to allow discrimination in the name of religious freedom? How many ethically challenged, moronic TV reality stars have been elected President with the enthusiastic support of the Religious Right?
So you do believe it was the Muslims whi flew planes into the buildings? Ok. Good. Now that we have moved passed that.

You would like a list of Allahu Akbar related deaths? I can definitely accommodate you on that.

I would like a list of...how did you put it "laws passed to allow discrimination in the name of religious freedom" in the last 18 years.

Thanks

Reactions: imaginethat
Nov 2013
NM
Al Qaeda, yes. On the other hand, even after the spate of airline hijackings back when, the airlines fought tooth & claw to resist armored doors to the pilots' cabin - arguing that it wasn't necessary, that it would add to the cost of flying, & I don't recall how many other objections. After the USSR finally imploded in 1992, the US national security agencies scrambled to ID a new national enemy.

They all chose Islamic radicalism, as I recall. But Al Qaeda & related weren't susceptible to electronic eavesdropping & satellite intelligence gathering, as the USSR & Warsaw Pact had been. & our agencies simply didn't have the manpower, nor did our agents have the language/cultural/people skills to recruit & run intel ops & penetrate the enemy. The stove piping & turf wars of the various national intel agencies also didn't help matters.

That's the real failure - of course Al Qaeda & related targeted the weaknesses of our domestic flight arrangements - a fully fueled international flight is basically a giant explosive, self-propelled. If you take over the cabin & can marginally steer the critter, you have a cheap manned missile. That was a massive failure on the part of our intel agencies, who spent lots of time & money & resources - & still missed a fairly obvious (in retrospect), fairly low-tech solution to Al Qaeda's lack of even a short-range ballistic missile system. They simply coopted one that we hadn't bothered to secure.

Reactions: Hollywood
Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
Al Qaeda, yes. On the other hand, even after the spate of airline hijackings back when, the airlines fought tooth & claw to resist armored doors to the pilots' cabin - arguing that it wasn't necessary, that it would add to the cost of flying, & I don't recall how many other objections. After the USSR finally imploded in 1992, the US national security agencies scrambled to ID a new national enemy.

They all chose Islamic radicalism, as I recall. But Al Qaeda & related weren't susceptible to electronic eavesdropping & satellite intelligence gathering, as the USSR & Warsaw Pact had been. & our agencies simply didn't have the manpower, nor did our agents have the language/cultural/people skills to recruit & run intel ops & penetrate the enemy. The stove piping & turf wars of the various national intel agencies also didn't help matters.

That's the real failure - of course Al Qaeda & related targeted the weaknesses of our domestic flight arrangements - a fully fueled international flight is basically a giant explosive, self-propelled. If you take over the cabin & can marginally steer the critter, you have a cheap manned missile. That was a massive failure on the part of our intel agencies, who spent lots of time & money & resources - & still missed a fairly obvious (in retrospect), fairly low-tech solution to Al Qaeda's lack of even a short-range ballistic missile system. They simply coopted one that we hadn't bothered to secure.

It's the chicken and the egg paradox but now that the egg has hatched it's a big time international problem. One that leftists globally refuse to acknowledge, which i have to say is equally as dangerous. I do not believe this to be a coincidence.