Why does the state involve itself with marriage?

Feb 2019
here and there
So why is the secular state involved in marriage? Why do I need to buy a license to even get married? What test did I pass to even get a license?

It seems to me that the divorce rate is way to high. Why is it high? It's because many people marry for all the wrong reasons, granted, some simply don't work out.

If the state got out of the marriage industry, then the divorce rate would plummet. People would no longer have an incentive to marry in order to take a rich persons money via divorce. And when leaving assets behind, the state would no longer dictate that the surviving spouse gets a certain percentage of the other persons belonging. It would be up to the person making his or her will.

And best of all, divorce lawyers can all take a hike as they rob families of all their wealth, stealing it from their children.

When people "hook up", their material possessions should remain their own.

Once the state perks for getting married are gone, the only people who would get married would be those who are religious. And since the only reason to get married would be to honor the union in the eyes of God, people would not be as apt to divorce.

And what of the endless fighting over who should marry and who should not? The controversy over gay marriage that helps divide the nation would vanish over night. But then, politicians love areas of division because they feed off that to gain support. Oh well, too bad for them I reckon.

And what of polygamists? Why are polygamist denied to marry again? Oh, that's right, it's because they don't have the same lobby group as the gay lobby groups do. It's either pay up or shut up. The state cares nothing about their right to marry cuz polygamy is yucky it seems.

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
The state involved itself in marriage and provided "perks" for it because traditionally the state has a vested interest in supporting a strong nuclear family and the offspring that is a result of this. A strong nuclear family is the corner stone of a strong, functional society. It is self regulating, self supporting. Strong families create strong communities exc that can operate autonomously outside of the state.

This is no longer in the interest of the left. This is why they demonize the male to female dynamics, the nuclear family and autonomy in general. This goes back to the communist agenda.

Feb 2019
here and there
The state involved itself in marriage and provided "perks" for it because traditionally the state has a vested interest in supporting a strong nuclear family and the offspring that is a result of this. A strong nuclear family is the corner stone of a strong, functional society. It is self regulating, self supporting. Strong families create strong communities exc that can operate autonomously outside of the state.

This is no longer in the interest of the left. This is why they demonize the male to female dynamics, the nuclear family and autonomy in general. This goes back to the communist agenda.

Clearly this vested interest is in ashes considering such things as the divorce rate and the fact many more married people are not having kids for various reasons.

Now it's just a mindless entitlement for Left wing interest groups.

Unfortunately for polygamists, they are all a bunch of right winged individuals who will be shunned as if they are posting on Facebook or Twitter.

Apr 2013
La La Land North
Yeah, I too think marriage is stupid. Some shaman mumbling words over you is supposed to make a difference?

Civilly sanctioned partnerships on the other hand are very important in protecting the legal rights of individuals and more so the children which result from such partnerships.

Feb 2019
here and there
Yeah, I too think marriage is stupid. Some shaman mumbling words over you is supposed to make a difference?

Civilly sanctioned partnerships on the other hand are very important in protecting the legal rights of individuals and more so the children which result from such partnerships.
They would be treated the same way people who live together are treated.

It used to be that marriage helped protect the woman because the woman was without any power within society. Those days are long gone.

I think in terms of children, nasty divorces are the worst thing for them.

Nov 2012
nirvana
So why is the secular state involved in marriage? Why do I need to buy a license to even get married? What test did I pass to even get a license?

It seems to me that the divorce rate is way to high. Why is it high? It's because many people marry for all the wrong reasons, granted, some simply don't work out.

If the state got out of the marriage industry, then the divorce rate would plummet. People would no longer have an incentive to marry in order to take a rich persons money via divorce. And when leaving assets behind, the state would no longer dictate that the surviving spouse gets a certain percentage of the other persons belonging. It would be up to the person making his or her will.

And best of all, divorce lawyers can all take a hike as they rob families of all their wealth, stealing it from their children.

When people "hook up", their material possessions should remain their own.

Once the state perks for getting married are gone, the only people who would get married would be those who are religious. And since the only reason to get married would be to honor the union in the eyes of God, people would not be as apt to divorce.

And what of the endless fighting over who should marry and who should not? The controversy over gay marriage that helps divide the nation would vanish over night. But then, politicians love areas of division because they feed off that to gain support. Oh well, too bad for them I reckon.

And what of polygamists? Why are polygamist denied to marry again? Oh, that's right, it's because they don't have the same lobby group as the gay lobby groups do. It's either pay up or shut up. The state cares nothing about their right to marry cuz polygamy is yucky it seems.
To make sure you are not marrying your sister, or your mom, or one of your children.

Feb 2019
here and there
To make sure you are not marrying your sister, or your mom, or one of your children.
Really? As long as they are consenting adults who cares?

I thought that was the culture now. Am I wrong? Do people still care about what is moral concerning sexuality, assuming children are not involved?

Apr 2013
La La Land North
They would be treated the same way people who live together are treated.

It used to be that marriage helped protect the woman because the woman was without any power within society. Those days are long gone.

I think in terms of children, nasty divorces are the worst thing for them.
So you support forcing parents who hate each other staying together "for the kids"?

Or do you support letting (mostly) fathers just take off and leave the mother to pay for and look after the kids herself?

Which do you prefer?