Why Doesn't Character Matter To The Right Wing?

Jun 2018
La Pine, Oregon
Well, the character of Democrats does, just not that of their own. We warned you, and yet many would not listen:

There was a time when it wasn’t difficult to convince Republicans that character counts. GOP officials and activists warned America that Bill Clinton was a lying lothario. They warned about his reckless personal conduct. And they were correct. Not even the great weight and responsibility of the Oval Office (much less his marriage vows) could keep him from a tawdry affair. Not even the solemn legal responsibility of an oath could keep him from illegally lying about his misconduct. Clinton’s reckless behavior so marked his presidency that even his own Vice President, Al Gore, distanced himself from Clinton during his own presidential race. Voters appreciated peace and prosperity, but they were exhausted by the drama in the White House.

But if there is anything we’ve since learned about the partisan mind, it’s that it’s capable of endless contortions and rationalizations in the pursuit of power. For the GOP partisan, character is no longer destiny. It’s an increasingly-irrelevant factor in the quest for power — even when the exercise of that power consistently and increasingly results in outcomes and policies that Republican stalwarts once opposed.

Imagine, just for a moment, the Republican outcry if the Obama administration had so abruptly abandoned the Kurds. Republicans, in fact, demanded that Obama intervene in Iraq in 2014 to save Iraqi Kurdistan from ISIS. And when he did, they demanded that he fight harder, that he “take the gloves off.”

Dec 2015
Arizona
Speaking of character. I want to meet this young man.
‘I don’t want to hang out with somebody who talks like that’

Ever since Sean Doolittle was traded to the Washington Nationals in the summer of 2017, the reliever often was asked whether he would visit the White House after winning the World Series.
He pondered but never answered. He thought it would be hollow to respond — like discussing a hypothetical lottery win — because the Nationals fell short in his first season and didn’t make the playoffs the next year. But then the Nationals became World Series champions when they beat the Houston Astros on Wednesday. Then Doolittle, long known for his liberal opinions and willingness to share them, had a real decision to make.
Doolittle chose not to attend a White House ceremony slated for Monday. He is the first Nationals player to publicly confirm that, although multiple people close to the team said a handful of players are wrestling with the decision. He explained his reasons in a lengthy interview with The Washington Post on Friday night. It starts with not compromising his beliefs and an aversion to President Donald Trump’s actions despite wanting to celebrate with teammates as much as possible.
“There’s a lot of things, policies that I disagree with, but at the end of the day, it has more to do with the divisive rhetoric and the enabling of conspiracy theories and widening the divide in this country. My wife and I stand for inclusion and acceptance, and we’ve done work with refugees, people that come from, you know, the ‘shithole countries,' ” Doolittle said, referring to Trump’s comments about Haiti, El Salvador and African nations in a January 2018 meeting.
“At the end of the day, as much as I wanted to be there with my teammates and share that experience with my teammates, I can’t do it,” Doolittle continued. “I just can’t do it.”

Reactions: RNG and se7en
Nov 2012
nirvana
An incorrect opinion.
Yep. Under a Clinton Presidency, we had the largest economic expansion since the Eisenhower administration, and the one military action Clinton did take in Serbia, he was successful. There is not one single thing the Clinton haters could point to that would show another Clinton Presidency would be unsuccessful. That's the thing they hate about the Clintons. They are, and always have been successful. That and they both proved Republicans were failures at both domestic and foreign policy.

But like my grandmother taught me as a child. Blessings sometimes come in disguises. Trump will be the one that destroys the Republican party during the time, that other generations are replacing the Boomers, which will take the country away from that generation, and completely shift the American culture in a whole other direction. Here's a hint. It wont be conservative, religious, or have trickle down economics as part of that culture.

Reactions: Clara007
Nov 2018
Rocky Mountains
The RW has been rewarded by extremism. They advocate for tax cuts, then complain about deficits, then claim tax cuts are necessary for economic stimulus. The RW is essentially anti-government and latent Libertarian.

Republicans secretly love that Trump panders to the idiot masses of American Caucasian middle class and poor. The concerted affection for and dedication to Trump will drive the USA further along the course to a hegemony of plutocrats with extreme wealth disparity supported by xenophobic populists who cannot see that they have been played by a group of connected wealthy individuals (such as Koch Brothers) who have managed to promote government policy for their own benefit.

Reactions: se7en
Apr 2019
America
The RW has been rewarded by extremism. They advocate for tax cuts, then complain about deficits, then claim tax cuts are necessary for economic stimulus. The RW is essentially anti-government and latent Libertarian.

Republicans secretly love that Trump panders to the idiot masses of American Caucasian middle class and poor. The concerted affection for and dedication to Trump will drive the USA further along the course to a hegemony of plutocrats with extreme wealth disparity supported by xenophobic populists who cannot see that they have been played by a group of connected wealthy individuals (such as Koch Brothers) who have managed to promote government policy for their own benefit.
That is just propaganda. Recently it was uncovered the Koch's were not as right wing as people think. Their stand on immigration proved that. Stop lying and name calling.
The pro-amnesty, pro-free trade Koch Brothers have criticized Trump’s ‘America First’ agenda from its conception during the 2015-2016 presidential campaign.

As Breitbart News has reported, Trump has pushed back against the Koch Brothers, calling them “puppets” who are a part of the GOP establishment’s special interest groups.

Nov 2018
Rocky Mountains
That is just propaganda. Recently it was uncovered the Koch's were not as right wing as people think. Their stand on immigration proved that. Stop lying and name calling.
They are RW enough and largely Libertarian because their business is about avoiding government control.. The Kochs did not support Trump initially but have become great beneficiaries of his policies.

Apr 2019
America
They are RW enough and largely Libertarian because their business is about avoiding government control.. The Kochs did not support Trump initially but have become great beneficiaries of his policies.
I see you are not denying that was propaganda coming from you. A brief moment of honesty from you? :eek: