Why I don’t support “Believe all women”

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
2 years ago at this time, the Wisconsin Badgers we’re coming up on a big potential season. Their defense was going to be good of course, but there was a lot of hype around young WR Quintez Cepheus. And boy did he live up to expectations, quickly becoming the Badgers #1 WR.

Then about 15 months ago Cepheus abruptly left the team. After a few days of rumors, Cepheus was charged with two counts of sexual assault. His life was put on hold, his football career has been put on hold, his prospects of becoming a pro have been dramatically altered not being able to practice with the team and he potentially could have made millions.

Lawyers in his case presented closing arguments today. 45 minutes later the jury returned a verdict of not guilty. Less than one hour...

Former Badger receiver Quintez Cephus acquitted of sex assault charges

I don’t know what happened between quintez and these two girls. But we live in a system where everyone is innocent until proven guilty. Peoples lives shouldn’t be ruined just because of accusations.

Dec 2018
New England
2 years ago at this time, the Wisconsin Badgers we’re coming up on a big potential season. Their defense was going to be good of course, but there was a lot of hype around young WR Quintez Cepheus. And boy did he live up to expectations, quickly becoming the Badgers #1 WR.

Then about 15 months ago Cepheus abruptly left the team. After a few days of rumors, Cepheus was charged with two counts of sexual assault. His life was put on hold, his football career has been put on hold, his prospects of becoming a pro have been dramatically altered not being able to practice with the team and he potentially could have made millions.

Lawyers in his case presented closing arguments today. 45 minutes later the jury returned a verdict of not guilty. Less than one hour...

I don’t know what happened between quintez and these two girls. But we live in a system where everyone is innocent until proven guilty. Peoples lives shouldn’t be ruined just because of accusations.
There's a more important reason to object to the "believe all women" directive. To do so, whether it's acknowledged or not, requires one to abandon the presumption of innocence standard for the accused, and there are few things more fundamental to our judicial system than that.

Dec 2014
Memphis, Tn.

He was tried and found not guilty.
He is free to resume his life.
I'm not getting your point at all.
His rise to fame and firtune as an athelete was delayed due to this?

Jun 2018
South Dakota
IMO the point is that this guys future has been permanently stigmatized by this one incident. He will now be a target of opportunity forever. Now when women make accusations the standard has become guilty until proven innocent and even when cleared of the crime that stigma follows that person. This is demonstrated so clearly and completely as accusers come and go in the public eye. Kavanaugh and Trump are examples of this. It's also apparent that the political parties are employing this in every case no matter how devoid of truth. If I were a woman honestly involved in justice seeking for genuine victims I'd be hollering bloody murder and organizing protests in DC over the hijacking of my cause.

Dec 2014
Memphis, Tn.
IMO the point is that this guys future has been permanently stigmatized by this one incident. He will now be a target of opportunity forever. Now when women make accusations the standard has become guilty until proven innocent and even when cleared of the crime that stigma follows that person. This is demonstrated so clearly and completely as accusers come and go in the public eye. Kavanaugh and Trump are examples of this. It's also apparent that the political parties are employing this in every case no matter how devoid of truth. If I were a woman honestly involved in justice seeking for genuine victims I'd be hollering bloody murder and organizing protests in DC over the hijacking of my cause.
*shrug* Shit happens.

Dec 2014
Memphis, Tn.
i always believe the survivor when they have the strength to stand up and tell their story. i support survivors 100%
The point is we do not know for certain if a woman is a "survivor" until it has been proven that she was sexually assaulted and survived anything. Until that is done she's just someone accusing another of commiting a crime.

Nov 2018
Inner Space

The trial result was a not guilty verdict. It did not demonstrate or prove his innocence.
Our system is biased toward the guilty and often results in the guilty going free. Do you want some other system?
One has to understand that even when there are two witnesses (rather than "he said she said". "he said they said") sexual assault charges are difficult to prosecute.

Nov 2018
Inner Space
i always believe the survivor when they have the strength to stand up and tell their story. i support survivors 100%
I think the victim always has the greater challenge to prove injury than the victimizer has to demonstrate choice, unfortunately, in our system.

Unless one can demonstrate some personal benefit to a fabricated story, I have to side with the concept that people under the influence of drugs or alcohol, do not "choose" to have sex voluntarily. In fact, we view alcohol as a detriment to driving judgment and performance but somehow dismiss that concept when sex is involved and assume that sex when intoxicated is voluntary and informed. I think that the presence of drugs or alcohol should represent a clear indication of lack of adequate judgment and increased vulnerability.