Why I think the Shutdown Is Wrong-headed and Will do More Harm than Good

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
It is just hard to be scared of little stuff after you have survived cancer, I think. I myself have been through DVT, PE (blood clots) Pneumonia, and Dengue Fever over the last 10 years.
I survived lung cancer for over 4 years now. And I'm much more afraid of this than the cancer. There are treatments for the cancer. Not this.

Feb 2020
Houston
I will use the same argument as I use for gun laws. Do laws against bank robbery stop all bank robberies? So we may as well get rid of those laws by that logic. And you can replace bank robberies with virtually any other regulation or law.
False equivalency.

It was said early that the social distancing would not be an instant cure. And in fact the plea was to flatten the curve. Conditions in NY did not achieve that so the health system is getting overwhelmed. They are no longer responding to cardiac/respiratory shutdowns because they are too busy working on someone who is still alive. The curve got higher than the healthcare capacity.

But still, too little too late but don't stop so that the extent the curve exceeds the ability will be minimized.
Before we discuss the curve, I need to know if you understand what the curve means mathematically.

Do you get that even if we flatten out the curve, the area under the curve will be the same? Tell me what I mean by that, or lets not talk about it.

Also, you did not address the suffering of the people on the economic margins that I mentioned. I thought those were the people liberals claimed to care the most about?

Why are you now all rushing to throw them under the bus?

You've addressed nothing in my post.

Mar 2020
Land of Freedom
Stayin' alive! I accept Glenn Beck's offer though.

All those Faux News talking heads saying yeah, the old folks don't mind dying to help their kids be richer. Well, did any of them poll the old folks?
I don't know who Glenn is or what his offer is and I seldom watch any news. I told everyone yesterday that the market would rally today and it did. Smart and successful people don't get their info from TV. Also, life is not as long as you think. Our time in this world is short but if we do what is right, it is enough.

Feb 2020
Houston
I survived lung cancer for over 4 years now. And I'm much more afraid of this than the cancer. There are treatments for the cancer. Not this.
You must be kidding.

I "survived" esophageal cancer for a little less time than that now. Knock wood. But I had to have about nine tenths of my esophagus removed and about two thirds of my stomach. I'm glad I'm alive, but I don't compare it to coronavirus that kills one out of what, twenty and the rest get bed rest a couple of weeks and then recover.

I can't eat a full meal again ever and the scar from my port still drives me crazy with the itching. No comparison and you know it if you survived cancer.

Try to be more realistic with your talking points, RNG. I get that the mods like to keep the debates going. I applaud that. I see that most of your members are not the brightest bulbs in the chandelier, so they can't keep it going themselves.. But at some point keeping a debate going with silly arguments can cross into trolling.

Just sayin . . .

Jun 2018
Toronto
The reasons are purely mathematical. Here is a link:

The boundary conditions are:
1. There is no vaccine and probably wouldn't come until next year, so most everybody will have to go through it to get immunity.
2. Around 5 to 10% of the sick will go into a severe course, which will require intensive care and special contraptions called ventilators when their lungs stop working for a while
3. When these 5 to 10% exceed the capacity of the health system, the overflow dies from suffocation because they can't get help .

That is why everybody is talking about slowing down and not stopping the virus. The total number should be low enough so that these 5 to 10% will still get some care.

Reactions: Lyzza
Mar 2020
ohio
Seymour is right about this so called shut down financially effecting the people who can least afford it. If Trump wouldn't of swept it under the rug back in January because he thought it would hurt his re-election, we probably wouldn't be going through this semi shut down.

If your really freaked out, call Franklin Grahams prayer line at 1-877-247-2426. Feel Free to leave a donation if you wish.

Feb 2020
Houston
Seymour is right about this so called shut down financially effecting the people who can least afford it. If Trump wouldn't of swept it under the rug back in January because he thought it would hurt his re-election, we probably wouldn't be going through this semi shut down.

If your really freaked out, call Franklin Grahams prayer line at 1-877-247-2426. Feel Free to leave a donation if you wish.
You are the first person to even mention those who are suffering and I appreciate it. But then your next sentence is the obligatory blaming of Trump.

How could Trump reacting faster have kept us from having a semi-shutdown? The only possible working strategy would have been a full shut down of the borders and all ports of entry. The two remaining dem pres candidates still say it is irrational and xenophobic to even consider doing that.

And with that, the thread is derailed. Of course.

Doesn't matter a whit though. This thread could have stayed untouched by any distraction and I could have bumped it 'till I was blue in the face and none of the compassionate liberals would have ever responded to the two main points which is that the half-assed shut down will do little to stop the spread and that the most vulnerable are being sacrificed on its alter.

It's what Ayn Rand called the "blank out."