Why is equality so hard to understand???

Mar 2020
Land of Freedom
The State never "begged" for money. They take it by coercion. Big difference.

Like a highwayman, the State said "Hand over your money or we'll hurt you. Badly."

We hand it over so we don't get hurt.

"The best way to teach your kids about Taxes is by eating 30% of their ice cream." - Bill Murray
This is obvious. It's not like they come door to do with a collection basket.

By the way, I found a tax break. I might become a reverend of a new religion and register my home business sanctuary as a church.

All it take is for 4 people to sign a paper that states that they revere me to be officially legally ordained

And the way to not get taxed is to not charge for food or coffee but call it a donation. The money customers worshippers donate will not be for the food and coffee they are partaking of on the spot but for the next worshipper who comes by and so on. What do you think my holy idea and what do you think I should name my religion, Chief?

Reactions: SkyChief
Jun 2018
Toronto
The State never "begged" for money. They take it by coercion. Big difference.

Like a highwayman, the State said "Hand over your money or we'll hurt you. Badly."

We hand it over so we don't get hurt.

"The best way to teach your kids about Taxes is by eating 30% of their ice cream." - Bill Murray

Yeah, it's ridiculous to treat the state as some kind of charity, that you support with your donations so that it gives "your hard earned money" away to people, who do nothing.
I'm happy that came across intact.

BTW that Murray example is stupid. If you need explanations why, please don't hesitate to ask.

Nov 2005
California
I explained it in the first post. Where is the inequality?
1+1=2
0+0=0
Some people look at an issue and pretend if they look at ONE ASPECT, that somehow sums up the entire issue.
If I look at a red car and a red house, then I can pretend they are "equal" because they are both red.

Those who have earned something have the freedom right to do what they want with what they have earned.
Those who have earned nothing have the freedom and right to do whatever they want with what they have not earned.
How can it get more equal than that???
This is an example of looking at "one aspect".
Worse, it's an approach that you cannot point to any modern, civilized country and say that they implement equality in the way you like.

Dec 2015
Arizona
Some people look at an issue and pretend if they look at ONE ASPECT, that somehow sums up the entire issue.
If I look at a red car and a red house, then I can pretend they are "equal" because they are both red.

This is an example of looking at "one aspect".
Worse, it's an approach that you cannot point to any modern, civilized country and say that they implement equality in the way you like.
I hate it when you are this sensible. Knock it off.

• Haha
Reactions: foundit66
Feb 2020
Kalifornia
"There is nothing more unequal than the equal treatment of unequal people." - Thomas Jefferson

"Governments will always devise ways to deprive an honest man of his money or property, and claim that it's legal." - me

Nov 2018
Rocky Mountains
Your new religion should be called IKWIM/YKWIY (pronounced ik wim yik wee)

I Keep What Is Mine/You Keep What Is Yours

:fold: :hug:
This is the idiot cliche of libertarianism. Actually a better phrase would be "privatize the gain; socialize the cost and risk" Conserva-tarians love to take direct and indirect benefits from society but are loathe to pay for the social cost of those benefits. No one ever made a dime by ONLY their own effort without a favorable social and economic environment.

Dec 2018
New England
In Progressive-speak it’s important to understand that the common English phrase “fair share” translates to “more.”

Reactions: SkyChief
Nov 2018
Rocky Mountains
"There is nothing more unequal than the equal treatment of unequal people." - Thomas Jefferson

"Governments will always devise ways to deprive an honest man of his money or property, and claim that it's legal." - me
Your Jefferson quote is puzzling and mostly out of context. But, then remember that Tom had slaves.
Surely you want to pay for the benefits of society that you have enjoyed but never realized were necessary for you to earn a living or save some money.

Reactions: Clara007
Feb 2020
Kalifornia
No one ever made a dime by ONLY their own effort without a favorable social and economic environment.
Ah - there it is.

The classic "If you've got a business, you didn't build that." fallacy.

Some businesses were built with government loans and grants. But certainly not ALL businesses were built this way.

I owned a business. I built it. Government only stood in my way and created a bunch of flaming hoops that I had to jump through.

But I paid the fees and the waivers, and the environmental impact studies, and the inspections, and finally I was allowed to open the doors for business. That was all ME. I alone overcame all of the government roadblocks placed in my path.

• Love
Reactions: LTP