Why is equality so hard to understand???

Jul 2019
Georgia
Your new religion should be called IKWIM/YKWIY (pronounced ik wim yik wee)

I Keep What Is Mine/You Keep What Is Yours

:fold: :hug:
we can share the women
we can share the wine
we can share what we got of yours
cause we done shared all of mine

Reactions: SkyChief
Nov 2018
Rocky Mountains
Ah - there it is.

The classic "If you've got a business, you didn't build that." fallacy.

Some businesses were built with government loans and grants. But certainly not ALL businesses were built this way.

I owned a business. I built it. Government only stood in my way and created a bunch of flaming hoops that I had to jump through.

But I paid the fees and the waivers, and the environmental impact studies, and the inspections, and finally I was allowed to open the doors for business. That was all ME. I alone overcame all of the government roadblocks placed in my path.
That is your fantasy and you are sticking to it! Could you have built your business in Antarctica or Somalia or Butan? You built it in the USA (presumably) because you had favorable circumstances.
You could not build a business without a stable financial system, educated employees, police and fire services, capital, reliable money supply, a market for your products, a stable social system, and on and on. But, that violates the fallacy so loved by those how know nothing about business but claim to be self-made businessmen.

Feb 2020
Kalifornia
That is your fantasy and you are sticking to it!
It's no fantasy. Everything that I said happened, happened.

Could you have built your business in Antarctica or Somalia or Butan? You built it in the USA (presumably) because you had favorable circumstances.
I built my business because I did the research. First, I determined that there was a demand for my service. I then carefully selected the location for my business. I spent years acquiring the capital to start it. I overcame all of the government roadblocks - they seemed endless, and were very costly in time and money.

ME. I did it all. The only outside assistance I had was from a helpful lawyer who helped me to navigate the maze of government quagmires.

You can't accept the facts because they don't fit the progressive narrative.

Reactions: LTP and NatMorton
Nov 2018
Rocky Mountains

I built my business because I did the research. First, I determined that there was a demand for my service. I then carefully selected the location for my business. I spent years acquiring the capital to start it. I overcame all of the government roadblocks - they seemed endless, and were very costly in time and money.

ME. I did it all. The only outside help I got was from a helpful lawyer who helped me to navigate the maze of government quagmires.

Tell us how you created the currency, the banking system, the transportation system, the market stability, the resources for your product production, the stable society that had sufficient interest to produce or purchase your goods..... waiting, but not expectantly.

Dec 2018
New England

ME. I did it all. The only outside assistance I had was from a helpful lawyer who helped me to navigate the maze of government quagmires.

Say, how much money did federal and state government put at risk to start your company?

Reactions: SkyChief
Dec 2018
New England
Not one red cent.
Well, ok. But nobody in this country who got rich on his own — nobody. You built your business out there? Good for you. But I want to be clear. You moved your goods to market on the roads the rest of us paid for. You hired workers the rest of us paid to educate. You were safe in your business because of police-forces and fire-forces that the rest of us paid for. You didn't have to worry that marauding bands would come and seize everything at your business — and hire someone to protect against this — because of the work the rest of us did. Now look, you built a business and it turned into something terrific, or a great idea. God bless — keep a big hunk of it. But part of the underlying social contract is, you take a hunk of that and pay forward for the next kid who comes along.

Which all must mean you paid no taxes along the way and the rest of us had to pay for all that without your help, right?

(Sorry, channeling my inner Warren)

Jul 2019
Georgia
Well, ok. But nobody in this country who got rich on his own — nobody. You built your business out there? Good for you. But I want to be clear. You moved your goods to market on the roads the rest of us paid for. You hired workers the rest of us paid to educate. You were safe in your business because of police-forces and fire-forces that the rest of us paid for. You didn't have to worry that marauding bands would come and seize everything at your business — and hire someone to protect against this — because of the work the rest of us did. Now look, you built a business and it turned into something terrific, or a great idea. God bless — keep a big hunk of it. But part of the underlying social contract is, you take a hunk of that and pay forward for the next kid who comes along.

Which all must mean you paid no taxes along the way and the rest of us had to pay for all that without your help, right?

(Sorry, channeling my inner Warren)
Lol, I was thinking "all of a sudden Nat's come around, this is great!"
then I realized it was a Warren quote

Nov 2005
California
In Progressive-speak it’s important to understand that the common English phrase “fair share” translates to “more.”
Any time that NatMorton tries to summarize somebody else's position like this, you can bet it is an unmitigated lie.

This is the idiot cliche of libertarianism. Actually a better phrase would be "privatize the gain; socialize the cost and risk" Conserva-tarians love to take direct and indirect benefits from society but are loathe to pay for the social cost of those benefits. No one ever made a dime by ONLY their own effort without a favorable social and economic environment.
I still think red states should impose their restrictions unabashed.
They don't like "socialized healthcare"? No medicare / medicaid for you.
You don't like people taking in more than they pay out? Fine, then you can only take into your state the amount your state paid out => no more extra money from blue states.

Reactions: Biff