Why is it wrong for Trump to send illegals to sanctuary cities?

Feb 2019
here and there
Why is it wrong for Trump to suggest sending all of these illegals to sanctuary cities wrong? I don't understand the counter argument. How is this political when the same politicians are welcoming such illegal immigration, giving them free stuff they don't even give Americans and refuse to fix the problem?

It's honestly mind boggling that anyone who openly supports Sanctuary Cities would be against this idea. It makes perfect sense. The places that want illegal immigration and defend them can now have an unlimited supply. Other communities that don't want lawlessness and breaching of their sovereignty will be void of it.

Are these blue cities racists?

Make up your mind kids. Either secure the border or give Juan a room in your house to live.

Jun 2018
South Dakota
I was surprised to hear that they were left to their own devices after release. It would be reasonable to assume that the sanctuary cities woud be reaching out to them offering shelter, medical and monetary aid. NYC Mayor has kinda voiced that sentiment but has actually done nothing to make it more than lip service.
Personally, if I were an illegal, the big cities are the last place I'd want to go, they bear a striking resemblance to what they are trying to escape.

Nov 2012
Rhondda
Obviously they should all be living in the White House with the fatman, the source of all their troubles. Can anyone think of a more horrible fate!

Dec 2018
New England
Why is it wrong for Trump to suggest sending all of these illegals to sanctuary cities wrong? I don't understand the counter argument. How is this political when the same politicians are welcoming such illegal immigration, giving them free stuff they don't even give Americans and refuse to fix the problem?

It's honestly mind boggling that anyone who openly supports Sanctuary Cities would be against this idea. It makes perfect sense. The places that want illegal immigration and defend them can now have an unlimited supply. Other communities that don't want lawlessness and breaching of their sovereignty will be void of it.

Make up your mind kids. Either secure the border or give Juan a room in your house to live.
The primary reason is that these immigrants, illegal though they may be, deserve to be treated better than just as political fodder.

Though as I said before, this proposal does have style and exposes a certain hypocrisy among the open borders crowd.

Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA

Because this is just another example of the pettiness of Trump. Whether or not this ACTUALLY causes hardship for the cities or the immigrants is a secondary issue. The primary issue is that Trump HOPES it causes hardships. Trump, using the power of his office, attempting to harm those he sees as his political enemies.

Dec 2015
Arizona

You mean besides the legal issues?
We need better border security. We need to reform our asylum laws. And we can only do both things truly effectively through congressional action, but the idea that you can use human beings as pawns to punish your political enemies is not only repugnant, it’s politically disastrous.

From National Review: First, to the extent that the order applies to immigrants seeking asylum, we have to remember that they’re exercising a legal right. The relevant statute is broad and clear:
Any alien who is physically present in the United States or who arrives in the United States (whether or not at a designated port of arrival and including analien who is brought to the United States after having been interdicted in international or United States waters), irrespective of such alien’s status, may apply for asylum in accordance with this section or, where applicable, section 1225(b) of this title.
The idea that we will then punish people who are exercising legal rights granted by our own government by shipping them to domestic locations chosen for purely partisan and punitive purposes is plainly wrong. Depending on the circumstances, it can even be cruel.

From a purely political standpoint, how does this not backfire? It’s remarkable the extent to which he seems to think that if he’s just mean enough, his foes will fold. San Francisco will not cry “uncle” if Trump starts bussing migrants to the city. Instead, I can predict what will happen. Compassion will become an act of resistance, and the city (and broader Bay Area community) with perhaps the most formidable private philanthropic resources in the world would certainly rally to publicly support the men and women involuntarily removed to their town.

Imagine the media circus when the buses arrive. Besides, Juan and his family HAVE been given room in our homes. Churches and non-profits--even individuals--have opened their doors to thousands of asylum seekers and sanctuary cities like Seattle and San Francisco say they welcome the buses of immigrants.

President Trump & Sanctuary Cities -- Trump’s Idea for Illegal Immigrants Is Wrong | National Review

Apr 2014
Heart of America
The primary reason is that these immigrants, illegal though they may be, deserve to be treated better than just as political fodder.

Though as I said before, this proposal does have style and exposes a certain hypocrisy among the open borders crowd.
Are you saying the sanctuary cities won't treat them humanely?

Agreed.

Dec 2015
Arizona

If the sanctuary cities are saying YES--BRING 'EM IN---how does that expose a certain hypocrisy? If cities, organizations and individuals are already willingly taking in thousands of asylum seekers, how is this proposal showing their hypocrisy?

I'm not sure you understand what's happening. Every day in downtown Phoenix, Greyhound buses arrive filled with those who have been released. AND every day they are greeted by individuals who work with shelters. From the bus station, they are taken churches and shelters for resettlement. The Phoenix Refugee Assistance Program is just one of many. A network of Phoenix churches support these refugees. Millions of dollars have been donated to these programs. My church has supplied these programs with financial support, volunteers, food and clothing. The ladies at my church have a sewing group that makes pajamas, shirts and shorts for these children.
These are just a few examples of how the people are welcomed and cared for during their transition. Were you not aware?

Dec 2018
New England
The primary issue is that Trump HOPES it causes hardships. Trump, using the power of his office, attempting to harm those he sees as his political enemies.
That's not quite it. IMO, Trump doesn't expect to send anyone to these cities. He's saying he will as sop for his base and to put his political opponents in the somewhat awkward stance of having to both welcome and not welcome illegal immigrants.

It's rather creative.