Why is it wrong for Trump to send illegals to sanctuary cities?

Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
That's not quite it. IMO, Trump doesn't expect to send anyone to these cities. He's saying he will as sop for his base and to put his political opponents in the somewhat awkward stance of having to both welcome and not welcome illegal immigrants.

It's rather creative.
Trump isn’t that smart. When he does something it’s for one of two reasons. To bring the spotlight on himself by showing how wonderful he is or to get back at someone for some perceived slight.

Dec 2015
Arizona
The operative word there is "if." Perhaps some truly may, but as you can see from the reactions here, I suspect most would not.

IF?? IF?? Boy howdy--you've been missing the headlines these days! Take a peek:
What they're saying:

• Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney: “The city would be prepared to welcome these immigrants just as we have embraced our immigrant communities for decades."
  • Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel: “As a welcoming city, we would welcome these migrants with open arms, just as we welcomed Syrian refugees, just as we welcomed Puerto Ricans displaced by Hurricane Maria and just as we welcome Rohingya refugees fleeing genocide in Myanmar."
  • Mayor Marc McGovern of Cambridge, Massachusetts: “I am proud that Cambridge is a sanctuary city. ... Trump is a schoolyard bully who tries to intimidate and threaten people. I’m not intimidated and if asylum seekers find their way to Cambridge, we’ll welcome them.”
  • San Francisco Mayor London Breed: “Like so many issues we are forced to talk about during this presidency, this isn’t a real idea or a real proposal, it’s just another scare tactic."
  • Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler: “Humans are not pawns. This is not a game. These are people’s lives ... Portland will continue to protect its sanctuary status in accordance with Oregon law and the U.S. Constitution. We strongly denounce the cruel efforts of this administration to retaliate against sanctuary cities.”
  • Mayor Daniel Drew of Middletown, Connecticut: “It’s a sign of the president’s tremendous weakness as an executive and weakness as a leader, and of the degree to which he pales in comparison to all of his recent predecessors."
  • New York Mayor Bill de Blasio: “He uses people like pawns ... New York City will always be the ultimate city of immigrants – the President’s empty threats won’t change that.”
  • Mayor Steven Hernandez of Coachella, California: “We have already been working alongside partners to ensure that recently arrived families, women and children get the services they need to make their successful transition into America."
AND these are just the immediate responses. Trump just continues to embarrass himself. AZ is a purple state. We've got a GOP Gov but Phoenix has a DEM mayor so I'm betting Kate Gallego is about to send our her invitation.
Did you really think any IDEA of Trumps would flummox a lot of much smarter people? Gawd...he is stupid.

Dec 2018
New England
IF?? IF?? Boy howdy--you've been missing the headlines these days! Take a peek:
What they're saying:

• Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney: “The city would be prepared to welcome these immigrants just as we have embraced our immigrant communities for decades."
  • Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel: “As a welcoming city, we would welcome these migrants with open arms, just as we welcomed Syrian refugees, just as we welcomed Puerto Ricans displaced by Hurricane Maria and just as we welcome Rohingya refugees fleeing genocide in Myanmar."
  • Mayor Marc McGovern of Cambridge, Massachusetts: “I am proud that Cambridge is a sanctuary city. ... Trump is a schoolyard bully who tries to intimidate and threaten people. I’m not intimidated and if asylum seekers find their way to Cambridge, we’ll welcome them.”
  • San Francisco Mayor London Breed: “Like so many issues we are forced to talk about during this presidency, this isn’t a real idea or a real proposal, it’s just another scare tactic."
  • Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler: “Humans are not pawns. This is not a game. These are people’s lives ... Portland will continue to protect its sanctuary status in accordance with Oregon law and the U.S. Constitution. We strongly denounce the cruel efforts of this administration to retaliate against sanctuary cities.”
  • Mayor Daniel Drew of Middletown, Connecticut: “It’s a sign of the president’s tremendous weakness as an executive and weakness as a leader, and of the degree to which he pales in comparison to all of his recent predecessors."
  • New York Mayor Bill de Blasio: “He uses people like pawns ... New York City will always be the ultimate city of immigrants – the President’s empty threats won’t change that.”
  • Mayor Steven Hernandez of Coachella, California: “We have already been working alongside partners to ensure that recently arrived families, women and children get the services they need to make their successful transition into America."
AND these are just the immediate responses. Trump just continues to embarrass himself. AZ is a purple state. We've got a GOP Gov but Phoenix has a DEM mayor so I'm betting Kate Gallego is about to send our her invitation.
Did you really think any IDEA of Trumps would flummox a lot of much smarter people? Gawd...he is stupid.
Get back to me when these words from these posting politicians become actions.

Nov 2018
Inner Space
The main issue with the attempted use of sanctuary cities is that Trump perceives his action as a punishment against political opponents and because it casts the refugees as expendable tools for his political ambitions.
If Trump promised to send flood victims, hurricane refugees, or veterans to sanctuary cities as a punishment to the cities, he would be reviled for the disparagement it implied.
Fact is, if these cities received large numbers, they would be handled well and then the refugees would leave for surrounding communities.