Why Public Sector Unions are a Really Bad Idea

Dec 2015
Arizona
Might be hard for you to grasp, but I don’t need those protections from unions thanks in no small measure to, ironically, early union victories getting major protections codified into law and the value of what I have to offer.

Do not be insulting. Too hard for me to grasp??? AND good for you NOT needing union protections, but the truth is that MANY millions DO NEED those protections. As you said yourself, it was AND STILL IS the unions who insured better wages, safer working conditions, 40 hour work weeks, child labor laws and benefits like healthcare for workers and their families.

Do you honestly think that if unions disappeared completely the employers would continue those protections? Doubtful.

Sep 2015
Brown Township, Ohio
Join the Labor and Hodcarriers Union and tell me about it. I made $9.195 per hour in 78 and all I had to do was wave a Slow Flag. My official title was Flagman.

Dec 2018
New England
Do not be insulting. Too hard for me to grasp??? AND good for you NOT needing union protections, but the truth is that MANY millions DO NEED those protections. As you said yourself, it was AND STILL IS the unions who insured better wages, safer working conditions, 40 hour work weeks, child labor laws and benefits like healthcare for workers and their families.

Do you honestly think that if unions disappeared completely the employers would continue those protections? Doubtful.
Um, you should reread some of what you write to others. You’ve no issues authoring insulting replies so you’re in no position to complain about being on the receiving end.

No one is calling for the abolition of unions per se, only for an end to public sector unions.

Nov 2018
Montana
My first job out of the Navy was at a major aircraft company building Atlas missiles. Fortunately there was no requirement to join or pay dues. I didn't. After a year I saw how they operate and decided that unions weren't for me. I resisted the intimidation and hazing tactics till I saw an opportunity to get a job with a better work environment where we were able to focus on getting the job done rather than constantly looking over our shoulders. It's difficult to do the job right when you have two bosses working at odds. Funny, on my new job I went right back in the same place I'd quit as a vendor. I talked to my old coworkers there who were crowing that they'd just beaten management up and forced them to give a $.05 per hour raise. They immediately tried to make me feel bad by asking what I got? I told them I got a 10% raise. Speechless. One said wow! $.10, twice what we got. I said no not $ .10 10%. Their wage at the time was $3 per hour so they got 1.5 % I was making $5 so my raise was .50 per hr. Kinda deflated their balloon.
Clearly you won a fabulous victory to earn $5/hour...

Last edited: