Why should people "care about the planet"?

Oct 2019
USA
Whether in the context of eschatology or otherwise, people acting superstitious and catastrophizing about the "end of the world" seems to be very ubiquitous.

This is apparent in the behavior of global warming alarmists, and many of conspiracy theories put out by the alarmists (e.x. ones which blame "capitalism", when you could just as well blame "science", given that none of the technologies deemed responsible for man-made global warming would have existed if it wasn't for science to begin with - showing that blind faith in "science" leading to progress instead of catastrophe is just as superstitious as faith in global warming alarmism).

In reality, though - from a secular perspective, tell me why anyone should "care about the planet" to begin with, or how an axiom based on "caring for the planet" (per Secular Humanism's manifesto, which ironically dates back to the 1800s, showing it was a faith-based belief before any recent scientific data was around) is any different than superstitious nature worship of yore?

If your only argument is that you naively believe "we're all going to die" if we don't start caring for the planet - then tell me how this is any different than deference to an authoritarian God, such as the Old Testament god?

This isn't caring for the planet out of love, but caring out of fear - even when it's clear the "planet doesn't care about you", if hurricanes, tsunamis and the like are it's "punishment" for neglecting it?

If many atheists were stuck in an Islamist state, where apostacy meant death, they wouldn't just blindly submit to the will of Allah, but would accept the price of martyrdom - so by the same token, why would they blindly submit to the will of an "evil" or "apathetic planet" which kills children? How cowardly indeed.

Oct 2019
USA
Actually caring for the planet is biblical.

According to scripture, humans are to be managers and stewards of the Earth.
I never said there aren't good reasons to care about the planet, Biblical, secular, or otherwise. I'd rather people care about the earth than destroy it, all other factors being created equal.

I just pointed out that the superstitious notions of alarmists who believe "they have to care about the planet or else we will all die" are awfully similar to fear of an authoritarian god.

Jan 2015
MD
I never said there aren't good reasons to care about the planet, Biblical, secular, or otherwise. I'd rather people care about the earth than destroy it, all other factors being created equal.

I just pointed out that the superstitious notions of alarmists who believe "they have to care about the planet or else we will all die" are awfully similar to fear of an authoritarian god.
Oh I see what you're saying.

Reactions: Inquisitor
Sep 2014
On the outside, trickling down on the Insiders
Actually caring for the planet is biblical.

According to scripture, humans are to be managers and stewards of the Earth.
Demolish the Demonic Democrackhead Demonstrations

To get back on the right path, Americans should be more like overseers or wardens. Nature is criminal and must be enslaved in a chain gang. Superstitious primitives and decadent GreenHeads are incapable of subjugating Nature, so they try to save face by their pushy preaching that everybody must submit to it.

Even worse, they denigrate those geniuses who invented processes to develop our natural resources, jealousy claiming that these champions of human supremacy have brought down destruction on all of us, But the real destroyers are those who preach passive acceptance and retrogression to the subhuman methods of dumb savages. Rather than treating GreenHeads as silly freaks, we must marginalize them and remove their toxic effects from our laws and dialogue.

Reactions: Inquisitor
Oct 2019
USA
Demolish the Demonic Democrackhead Demonstrations

To get back on the right path, Americans should be more like overseers or wardens. Nature is criminal and must be enslaved in a chain gang. Superstitious primitives and decadent GreenHeads are incapable of subjugating Nature, so they try to save face by their pushy preaching that everybody must submit to it.

Even worse, they denigrate those geniuses who invented processes to develop our natural resources, jealousy claiming that these champions of human supremacy have brought down destruction on all of us, But the real destroyers are those who preach passive acceptance and retrogression to the subhuman methods of dumb savages. Rather than treating GreenHeads as silly freaks, we must marginalize them and remove their toxic effects from our laws and dialogue.
I agree with some of that.

A lot of them, for example don't even know how science or scientific research works - often they cite "large numbers" of scientists whose data supports man-made global warming (or other ideas which they promote) - when in reality, the validity of scientific research has nothing to do with whether or not it is in the "majority", or some type of non-legally binding "consensus" which is subject to change.

They apparently think that science is like "Survivor" where the majority can simply vote "unpopular" views off the island, not to mention any scientist or research which is "skeptical" of their conclusion, they will immediately denounce or promote a conspiracy theory about (e.x. that the scientist is in league with "big oil" or something), despite not being scientists themselves - proving how anti-intellectual they actually are.

It's been revealed anyway that on some level, "caring for the planet" is just a religious belief of theirs, which was part of the Secular Humanist manifesto as far back as the 1800s (as were other beliefs of theirs, such as tolerance of homosexuality - which was part of John Stuart Mill's philosophy centuries before they ever lobbied psychological organizations such as the APA to have definitions of mental disorder changed, but that's a different subject).

Ultimately, even if the evidence suggested that natural causes played a bigger factor in GW than man-made ones, or that progressive solutions to remedy the problem (e.x. taxation schemes) simply wouldn't work - they'd simply stay in denial of the evidence, or hock a "capitalist" conspiracy theory based on faith in their progressive dogma, due to it being predicated on a philosophy of "change", and so forth.

Feb 2019
here and there
Whether in the context of eschatology or otherwise, people acting superstitious and catastrophizing about the "end of the world" seems to be very ubiquitous.

This is apparent in the behavior of global warming alarmists, and many of conspiracy theories put out by the alarmists (e.x. ones which blame "capitalism", when you could just as well blame "science", given that none of the technologies deemed responsible for man-made global warming would have existed if it wasn't for science to begin with - showing that blind faith in "science" leading to progress instead of catastrophe is just as superstitious as faith in global warming alarmism).

In reality, though - from a secular perspective, tell me why anyone should "care about the planet" to begin with, or how an axiom based on "caring for the planet" (per Secular Humanism's manifesto, which ironically dates back to the 1800s, showing it was a faith-based belief before any recent scientific data was around) is any different than superstitious nature worship of yore?

If your only argument is that you naively believe "we're all going to die" if we don't start caring for the planet - then tell me how this is any different than deference to an authoritarian God, such as the Old Testament god?

This isn't caring for the planet out of love, but caring out of fear - even when it's clear the "planet doesn't care about you", if hurricanes, tsunamis and the like are it's "punishment" for neglecting it?

If many atheists were stuck in an Islamist state, where apostacy meant death, they wouldn't just blindly submit to the will of Allah, but would accept the price of martyrdom - so by the same token, why would they blindly submit to the will of an "evil" or "apathetic planet" which kills children? How cowardly indeed.
I think this video will answer all your questions