Why there's soooo many democrat candidates.

Dec 2012
California
If politicians are not devoting a large portion of their time to raising election money, they are thinking about raising election money.

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
Money. Period End of story.

The more candidates, the more money the DNC takes in. The more witch hunts, the more money the DNC takes in. The more Trump scandals, the more money the DNC takes in. I'm surprised the RNC isn't pushing for more GOP candidates to run against Trump. Candidates that would run against Trump, not bash him too much. But raise money until it's close to the end of the election season and then drop out.

It's been said, that the presidents are chosen months, maybe even a year before the actual election. And the election season is just a means of raising money for those who select who's gonna be our president. (And prominent congressmen) That sounds conspiratorial, I know. But it's not any more far fetched than the income tax, monetary policy or foreign policy.
Does that also explain why there were so many Republican candidates in 2016?

Reactions: Clara007
Nov 2018
Rocky Mountains
Holy hell, I get soooo tired of the "but they did it too" replies. They both do it. And regardless of what side of the isle you stand on, everyone knows it. There's sooooo many issues that R & D voters could agree on now a days, but it's like they're brainwashed into disagreeing, regardless of there's something to disagree with or not.

I can understand this from someone like me who can't stand ANY republican or democrat. I despise political parties. I'm a libertarian. But wouldn't give you a bucket of piss for anything the LP leadership says.
Libertarian thinking promotes the deregulation of any restrictions on how money is spent. Highly disingenuous to criticize money when that is part of YOUR political thinking. Or perhaps it is more specifically, hypocritical,

In many ways the issue of money in politics is like the tax code. One can be opposed to tax cuts by Republicans but take advantage of those cuts when it is beneficial. One can oppose the unbridled money in politics advanced by Republicans and still make pragmatic use of money in a campaign. There is no requirement to oppose the personal benefit of a law even if you are opposed to the law or regulation itself.

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
Bullsnot. When the Democrats had the last majority, with a dem pres, they didn't do anything to reduce the amount of money in politics. Same as the GOP, when they had the last GOP majority and a R president. They could've made abortions illegal at the federal level. But they didn't.
Smoke and mirrors, my friend.

Stop listening to them. And start paying attention to what they do. You'll find too many times, they're two different things.
"What you do means a whole lot more than anything you've got to say".... Radney Foster from the song, "Everyday Angel"
Citizens United pretty well killed that.

Reactions: Clara007
Nov 2018
Rocky Mountains
If politicians are not devoting a large portion of their time to raising election money, they are thinking about raising election money.
As a California conservative, you should be in FAVOR of more money in politics.

Dec 2015
Arizona
Citizens United pretty well killed that.
Russ Feingold and John McCain---what a great team!
Russ was one of the finest men I've ever known. I taught with his M-I-L and so Russ was just .... well..."Russ".
We were so proud of his accomplishments--his bipartisan ways--his friendship with McCain, even though they looked at things from different angles.
Those days are gone.

Nov 2018
Rocky Mountains
Russ Feingold and John McCain---what a great team!
Russ was one of the finest men I've ever known. I taught with his M-I-L and so Russ was just .... well..."Russ".
We were so proud of his accomplishments--his bipartisan ways--his friendship with McCain, even though they looked at things from different angles.
Those days are gone.
M-I-L?

Jul 2014
massachusetts
Someone once said that there are at least 500 presidential campaigns being planned in congress at any given moment.
They are just waiting for "the time to be right".
There were a lot of Democrats who thought the time was right.
But, the people who can't get out of single digits will fall away, because the money dries up when it's obvious that they're going nowhere.
This will be a three, maybe four person race in a month or two.

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
Someone once said that there are at least 500 presidential campaigns being planned in congress at any given moment.
They are just waiting for "the time to be right".
There were a lot of Democrats who thought the time was right.
But, the people who can't get out of single digits will fall away, because the money dries up when it's obvious that they're going nowhere.
This will be a three, maybe four person race in a month or two.
Booker's campaign manager has already announced that if he doesn't raise $1.75 million by the end of the month he is out. Whether that is fact or a try for sympathy donations I don't know.