Why?

Sep 2019
Texas
has this Country been referred to as a God fearing Nation?

If indeed, it is a Christian Nation why are there so many sects of religion, each claiming their theology is the correct one?

Why "fear" one who is supposed to be loving?

Wouldn't a God respecting nation be more appropriate towards a "loving" entity?

Dec 2018
Wisconsin

If indeed, it is a Christian Nation why are there so many sects of religion, each claiming their theology is the correct one?

Why would people fear God? Have you read the bible?

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
A long time ago- I'm commenting because I'm curious about why people use fear vs respect to gain credibility-
That was the MO of the Church of Constantine: Be afraid, very afraid, be sure to tithe, confess your sins to us every week, and we'll take care of the rest.

Fear can mean awe, reverence, respect.

Sep 2019
Texas
That was the MO of the Church of Constantine: Be afraid, very afraid, be sure to tithe, confess your sins to us every week, and we'll take care of the rest.

Fear can mean awe, reverence, respect.
Making one fear is not respectful- awe is created by action, good, bad and indifferent- reverence is overly deferential-

I agree with your Church of Constantine MO- it seems to have carried over to other religions in: be afraid, very afraid- creating fear is disrespectful.

I think my point is, most people confuse respect with fear-

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
Making one fear is not respectful- awe is created by action, good, bad and indifferent- reverence is overly deferential-

I agree with your Church of Constantine MO- it seems to have carried over to other religions in: be afraid, very afraid- creating fear is disrespectful.

I think my point is, most people confuse respect with fear-
Yep.

I think most, not all but most, religions use fear of deity like moms used to use "Wait till your father gets home."

Reactions: Gdjjr
Oct 2019
USA
Yep.

I think most, not all but most, religions use fear of deity like moms used to use "Wait till your father gets home."
From what I have seen, many versions of "religious legalism" are around, but they seem to be diversions from the Bible or other source texts.

Not to mention that "legalism" is not strictly religious or Christian to begin with (e.x. "legalism" was a philosophy of government in ancient China).

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
From what I have seen, many versions of "religious legalism" are around, but they seem to be diversions from the Bible or other source texts.

Not to mention that "legalism" is not strictly religious or Christian to begin with (e.x. "legalism" was a philosophy of government in ancient China).
Please explain what "legalism" means to you. How do you see it?

Jun 2018
Toronto

You see according to Freud boys have this thing called Oedipus complex.

Now boys are of course ashamed and fear a retribution by the father. So they worship and fear him.
This story is found virtually in every religion.
That's the executive summary

here is some more extended info:

The more sexually restrictive a country is, the stronger their religion. It's a compensatory mechanism in psychology.