Will Donald Trump win 2020 re-election?

Will Trump win re-election in 2020?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dec 2015
Arizona
41% approval rating, 55%+ hates his guts. His only achievement was a massive upper class tax cut from which the middle class got peanuts. And they KNOW it. And that isn't even counting how Trump has turned the USA into an international laughing stock.

Trump is in big, big trouble.
AND don't forget that the 41% will not ALL vote which brings us back to the 26%--the percent who voted for Trump in 2016. 48 percent of eligible voters, however, abstained from voting for either Trump or Clinton.
In other words, 74 percent of eligible voters did not vote for the winner.

Trump cannot WIN with 26% if Americans get to the polls. He's not even talking to moderates--certainly not to Independents or Green Party folks.
A reminder to those of you who like to throw away your vote to a weird Green Party/Libertarian candidate: DON'T DO IT unless you want Trump for another 4 years.

Complete this sentence: Donald Trump Wins Reelection If..............................

Also, start watching the GOP because they are about to pull every string and every dirty trick possible to KEEP Democrats and Independents from voting. It's already started with the citizenship question.

Last edited:
Reactions: GluteusMaximus
Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
Ross Perot made Bush a one term President by splitting the GOP votes.

Tehran Embassy Hostage Crises and the botch rescue attempt made Carter look weak compared to Reagan. Not to mention the stunt pulled by Ted Kennedy.

One thing I have never understood is, why Carter got blamed for the blotched rescue attempt because the fucking military didn't read THE GOT DAMNED WEATHER REPORT ?? Aircraft, especially helicopters, don't operate well in high winds and dust storms. Also aware that one of Raygun's first acts, on inauguration day, was to release more than $8 Billion dollars of Iranian assets. Pretty plain to see that he had already made a deal with them.

Marcus Livius

Former Staff
Sep 2017
Hell
What I'm saying is Trump's polling numbers are marginal at best. He's made a great deal of noise over "his" economy. Take the weak numbers and a down turn in "the greatest economy ever" and he could be in trouble pretty fast.

"Read my lips, no new taxes" !!!! After the first gulf war Bush Sr had some of the best numbers ever. But a year and a half, new taxes and a sluggish economy made him a one term president. And I hated it. I liked Sr a lot !!
George H. W. Bush and Jimmy Carter come to mind.
Ross Perot made Bush Sr a one term President by spitting the GOP votes.

Tehran Embassy Hostage Crises and majorly botched rescue attempt made Carter look weak in comparison to Reagan. Not to mention the stunt pulled by Ted Kennedy.

Do you think that anything Trump has done so far is as egregious as the Bush Sr. "read my lips no new taxes" then raising taxes debacle? If so, what?
That was a misunderstand due to poor lip reading. What he actually said was "KNOW new taxes!".

Sep 2014
On the outside, trickling down on the Insiders
Exactly!
And then there is a whole year plus of activity, debate and discussion to occur... If the economy were to take a downturn before the election, that would be a huge factor.

It's way too early to have any good answer for this.

Yes!

Another example:
Heck, if it weren't for the "Great Recession", Obama would not have been even a blip on the 2008 radar.
But the economy took a huge down-turn, McCain was not acknowledging the problem enough and Clinton was not inspiring "hope" the way that Obama was and suddenly it became Obama's game with his "Hope and Change" message.

It's funny how time changes perspective on presidents. Recessions are cyclical and I don't know of anything in Bush Sr's era recession which was exacerbated by him. But it impacted his re-election.
If he had managed to hang on for a second term, he would have presided over the very early part of the dot com boom. That increased growth would have been part of "his legacy"...
Patrician Petrocracy

Dubdub's Daddy attacked Iraq for not limiting itself to OPEC's quotas, which lowered oil prices and, what is a lot more important, lowered the profits of the American oil companies. As ordered, George I got the oil prices up, which wrecked the economy for all those little people who aren't supposed to matter.

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
Ross Perot made Bush Sr a one term President by spitting the GOP votes.

Tehran Embassy Hostage Crises and majorly botched rescue attempt made Carter look weak in comparison to Reagan. Not to mention the stunt pulled by Ted Kennedy.

That was a misunderstand due to poor lip reading. What he actually said was "KNOW new taxes!".
He did say "no new taxes". But he was also smart enough to know that when conditions change, your attitude must change. But unfortunately the Republicans were too either too unethical or too dumb to acknowledge that and the majority of voters were too.

Sep 2015
Brown Township, Ohio
One thing I have never understood is, why Carter got blamed for the blotched rescue attempt because the fucking military didn't read THE GOT DAMNED WEATHER REPORT ?? Aircraft, especially helicopters, don't operate well in high winds and dust storms. Also aware that one of Raygun's first acts, on inauguration day, was to release more than $8 Billion dollars of Iranian assets. Pretty plain to see that he had already made a deal with them.
I voted for Peanut Man because I thought he Peanut Farmer. It would take too much typing to explain in detail.

May 2019
USA
Ok; do you think there are any potential opponents who can defeat him? If so, who?
With some caveats, I do have a list of 2. The biggest caveat being getting the nomination which I don't think either will. Those two are Mayor Pete and Tom Steyer. If Pete could get the nomination, and could get the funding, I think he is outside enough to counter the outsider sentiments helping Trump and seems to be rational, pragmatic and policy-oriented enough to distinguish himself from Trump. Trump can't do policy debate. He is too loose with facts and not fast enough on his feet. If Pete stayed out of the who is the bigger troll game Hillary fell into (and the democrats perpetuate), keeping to issues I think he could win the general election. With Steyer, he would have to abandon this "I am the eco-man of the people" schtick. His history simply does not support it. He won't recognize a union at his business and he made a fortune off coal and opposing existing nuclear in favor more carbon-intense natural gas. If he could re-position himself to be for market-driven solutions to the environment and a tough businessman, he flanks Trump from the other side. Put them both on the same ticket, and Trump would be in trouble IMO.

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
With some caveats, I do have a list of 2. The biggest caveat being getting the nomination which I don't think either will. Those two are Mayor Pete and Tom Steyer. If Pete could get the nomination, and could get the funding, I think he is outside enough to counter the outsider sentiments helping Trump and seems to be rational, pragmatic and policy-oriented enough to distinguish himself from Trump. Trump can't do policy debate. He is too loose with facts and not fast enough on his feet. If Pete stayed out of the who is the bigger troll game Hillary fell into (and the democrats perpetuate), keeping to issues I think he could win the general election. With Steyer, he would have to abandon this "I am the eco-man of the people" schtick. His history simply does not support it. He won't recognize a union at his business and he made a fortune off coal and opposing existing nuclear in favor more carbon-intense natural gas. If he could re-position himself to be for market-driven solutions to the environment and a tough businessman, he flanks Trump from the other side. Put them both on the same ticket, and Trump would be in trouble IMO.
The problem is that for the element sympathetic to Trump, in a debate Mayor Pete for example makes wondrous points and presents sensible policies. But Trump eill just lie about how his unspecified actions will MAGA them to Nirvana much faster and higher. And they'll believe him.

Marcus Livius

Former Staff
Sep 2017
Hell
He did say "no new taxes". But he was also smart enough to know that when conditions change, your attitude must change. But unfortunately the Republicans were too either too unethical or too dumb to acknowledge that and the majority of voters were too.
You do know I was kidding about the lip reading part, right? I actually voted for Dukakis in 1988, whom we all know lost by a landslide, and Clinton in 1992 whom surely would have lost if Perot was not a part of the equation.

I cared nothing about George HW Bush. The best years of my life and the most money I've ever made were during the Bill Clinton years. Under Bush Jr. I had my first set backs early on because of the recession following 9/11 and the so called War on Terror, but did recovered enough to be comfortable again. I voted for Hillary over Obama in the 08 Democratic Primary because I yearned for the Clinton years all over again, but Obama blew that one for me. Obama did not personally did cause it, but our financial hardships under Obama soured our relationship - they say that finance is the number one reason for separation or divorce.

I was a Hillary fan once. Thought she was smart and good looking - yes, I am serious. It wasn't until Benghazi that she started to look like a bitter, arrogant, and self-entitled old lady to me. Even then, I did not vote for Trump. I voted for Jill Stein fully expecting Hillary to win and went home to watch the election results. As I streamed news on my computer and Trump began to turn the tide, I was in disbelief and switched channel after channel to verify because I seriously thought someone fucked up with the election result counts that were still coming in.

My personal opinion is that Trump will win again in 2020 as long as there is no slack in anti-Trump sediments coming from the media, GOP Never-Trumpers, and the general raving mad people that seems to require venting against Trump and his supporters 365/12/7/24/60. People like that are just making him into Rocky.