Women Aren't a Monolith

May 2018
USA
@Clara007

There is zero evidence that Judge K did anything wrong, let alone being a "rapist". However, you actually support frying people for vague, unfounded claims. Look in the mirror, you would have been one of the "admirable" people screaming that their neighbor was a witch and should burned alive a few hundred years ago--actually, you kind of already are.
It wasn't a trial, dufus. The question was whether a man of such questionable moral values, so many skeletons in his closet, a guy with questionable connections, who perjured himself multiple times and a fierce Republican partisan is suitable for a position that could affect the lives of tens of millions of women.

The answer to the question, btw, was a resounding "no". The GOP are just trying to ingratiate themselves to the low-IQ evangelical crowd, who are all a titter that they might be able to force women to have rape/incest babies. Hurray!

Dec 2017
USA
It wasn't a trial, dufus. The question was whether a man of such questionable moral values, so many skeletons in his closet, a guy with questionable connections, who perjured himself multiple times and a fierce Republican partisan is suitable for a position that could affect the lives of tens of millions of women.
@GluteusMaximus

There is no evidence of any such "skeletons in the closet". However, it is fair to say you are showing the world yours.

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
Huh...interesting that "christian" woman dumped him, since the Bible specifically forbids divorce. Guess she wasn't a Christian after all, just a "christian" (the fake kind). Jesus himself condemned divorce. Hey, remember that 3 times divorced piglet in Kentucky that refused to let gay people get married? Because of her "christian" beliefs?

The Bible does not forbid Divorce, there are cases where Divorce is allowed.

You need to read your bible.

Feb 2014
Oregon
Something has been bothering me--a lot--so maybe our posters can help me wrap my head around this article from The Guardian:
Women aren't a monolith – and the white women supporting Kavanaugh prove it

It would make sense that the people most likely to believe the testimony of Dr Christine Blasey Ford would be the ones who look like her: middle-aged, white women.

But polls and even a cursory glance at cable news show this not to be the case.

Fox News host Martha MacCallum said that following Ford’s testimony, she kept hearing from moms who “fear due process is dead”. If Brett Kavanaugh is denied a supreme court confirmation over Ford’s sexual assault allegations, these women fear their sons could be subjected to “an unfair precedent” one day.

It’s a view very much condoned in the White House. Donald Trump – in addition to vocally defending Kavanaugh – recently used the moment to push back on his own more than a dozen female accusers, and bemoaned“the trauma for a man” involved in having such claims aired.

Donald Trump Jr, when asked if he was more worried for his sons or daughters, said: “Right now, I’d say my sons.”

In other words, they’re thinking more of men than women, and no small number of white women seem happy to follow suit.

A new ad released Thursday by CatholicVote.org goes from footage of adorable babies growing into men, to Kavanaugh saying Ford’s claims have him “totally and permanently destroyed”. Viewers are told: “If it can happen to him, it can happen to our sons, our brothers, husbands, fathers. It can happen to you.”

That last line – “It can happen to you” – would seem to apply much more to Ford’s fate than Kavanaugh’s where moms are concerned, since one in three women will experience sexual violence in her lifetime and perpetrators are overwhelmingly male.

So many were shocked earlier this week when a poll found that while minority voters overwhelmingly believe Fhttps://resources.lawinfo.com/criminal-defense/criminal-statute-limitations-time-limits.htmlord over Kavanaugh, a breakdown of the data by gender revealed white women were nearly as likely to believe Kavanaugh as Ford.

Specifically, the poll found 46% of white women believe Ford and 43% believe Kavanaugh – “Not a large difference at all when you take the margin of error into account,” Tim Malloy, who oversaw Quinnipiac’s national polling, told the Guardian.
“White women are not by any means a monolithic voting bloc,” Kohler told the Guardian. Rather, they’re profoundly influenced by education, religion and especially marital status.

The emphasis fits nicely with a recent study of women’s voting patterns, which found that while single women tend to cast votes with the fate of all women in mind, women married to men, and white women in particular, often vote on behalf of their husbands and families, research shows.

More than two-thirds (68%) of all women, compared to 53% of men, say they would definitely not vote for a candidate accused by multiple people of sexual harassment. But nearly half (48%) of Republican women said they would consider voting for such a candidate. That’s compared to just 14% of Democratic women who would.

So my questions are 1) Do mothers have so little faith in their sons? 2) Why do women vote for candidates just because their husbands do? AND lastly 3) What's with this "It could happen to you vs. It could happen to your sons/husbands?
I'm interested in hearing a man's perspective.
Here is the thinking of the Republican women.

Jesus may be a liberal, because he told us to be forgiving and the Republican Evangelical women sure are forgiving of Trumps past, but they are not liberal are they? Remember the Republican women in the link of the Evangelical women who thought Trump's past had nothing to do with today because they were sure Jesus Christ is working in his life now and as a Christian friend told me, "he is such a good father of our country".

If we wanted to take the time, I am sure we would find religion plays a strong role in how we judge people, crime, and justice. I am quite sure our knowledge of history also plays into our judgments and also our knowledge of philosophy.

This information would make a good study of our differences. I think a rational way of looking at this is to know different states have different notions of justice and different Criminal Statutes of Limitations. Criminal Statutes of Limitations for All 50 States We could follow this with information of religious preferences in these areas.

Panther

Forum Staff
Jul 2013
North Texas
Your implication that this was some Democratic party characteristic is what I am strenuously objecting to. IMO the Republicans started it and have polished it to a high art.
Then convince me otherwise. Because all i am seeing is an emotional stunt dressed up in the morality of justice and victimization.

Basically the Democrats have been forced to use the same tactics as Trump has shown to be so successful. Get the Trumpanzees to show some rationality and the world will be a different place.
Disagree. The democrats weren't forced into anything, let alone using a populist tactic that Trump had no hand in creating. The man is a symptom only and not the disease of our current malaise.

Feb 2014
Oregon
Liberals have no respect for the rule of law, which is based on the burden of evidence, and are more favorable for the US to become a banana republic, which eschews both of the above, that sons are the ones in peril.
Please watch the video above and explain why these women are so forgiving and conservative. In the past, it was witches in peril, not the sons and I am not sure there is a big difference between the witch hunts and this recent turn in persecuting males? Exactly what is the thing to do? Prosecute those who may threaten us or be forgiving? What is the wrong as you see it? Wanting to keep a possibly threatening person out of the supreme court or wanting to forget the past?

Last edited:
Jun 2012
Barsoom
The question
Please watch the video above and explain why these were are so forgiving and conservative.
I will pass on the video. It is CNN, there are around 160 million women in the US, and CNN would not live up to their biased reputation if they did not narrow the 160 million women down to a certain few women to represent conservative women. It is click bait.

Jun 2018
South Dakota
Got an eye opener this morning at a gathering. Retired people at a brunch. We aren't close but we all know each other. The subject got around to the nomination. Women, all white with a few Hispanics are all concerned with the guilty til proven innocent attitude of the MeToo genre. They're just as concerned about the rape issue as most of us are but they are fearful of their grandsons being railroaded into jail or ruining their lives for someting they didn't do. I was taken aback that none of the expressed concern for the women first. It was odd that no one popped off as I'd expected in support of one side or the other. None of us know what to actually do to get this resolved. We all rejected the presumption of guilt as a horrifying prospect.

Dec 2017
USA
Got an eye opener this morning at a gathering. Retired people at a brunch. We aren't close but we all know each other. The subject got around to the nomination. Women, all white with a few Hispanics are all concerned with the guilty til proven innocent attitude of the MeToo genre. They're just as concerned about the rape issue as most of us are but they are fearful of their grandsons being railroaded into jail or ruining their lives for someting they didn't do. I was taken aback that none of the expressed concern for the women first. It was odd that no one popped off as I'd expected in support of one side or the other. None of us know what to actually do to get this resolved. We all rejected the presumption of guilt as a horrifying prospect.
@Clicker II

It is the media that is trying to get people to think the country is split 50-50 on this. In reality, outside of the media and College campuses, most people view this as the modern Salem Witch trials hysteria and people are concerned for the men in their lives--as now their can be no grounds whatsoever to get burned at the stake, unlike the standard #MeToo movement where something actually had to have happened, just not necessarily what would classify as an assault.