Women's rights lobbyist pays Nanny $3 an hour

Panther

Forum Staff
Jul 2013
North Texas
Women?s rights lobbyist ?pays nanny $3 a hour? | New York Post

A top diplomat at India’s consulate in Manhattan who lobbies for women’s rights has been busted by the feds — after allegedly mistreating her female nanny.

Devyani , India’s 39-year-old deputy consul general for political, economic, commercial and women’s affairs, was busted Thursday for allegedly helping to submit fake documents to the US State Department saying she was paying the woman $4,500 per month — when, in reality, the caregiver received only $573 monthly, or a measly $3.31 an hour.

In an April interview with The Indian Panorama, a weekly Manhattan-based newspaper, Khobragade claimed that she’s a strong advocate for “underprivileged” women’s rights.

She added that she hoped someday to persuade the US government to make it easier for Indian nationals to apply for work visas.

“We are trying to safeguard the interests of Indians who are highly specialized and skilled by increasing the number of [non-immigrant] applications that can be accepted from Indian applicants,” said Khobragade, who is married to a philosophy professor and has two young daughters.

Khobragade hired her employee, an Indian national, in November 2012 and used her as a babysitter and housekeeper at her Manhattan home until June.

The diplomat is accused of telling the woman to lie on her visa application to get to the United States and say she was going to be paid the higher amount.

Then, Khobragade allegedly had the woman sign a second, under-the-radar contract that noted the nanny’s monthly salary including overtime — the much smaller amount.

The nanny and her husband, who were not named, are serving as witnesses in the case.

“This type of fraud on the United States and exploitation of an individual will not be tolerated,” said Manhattan US Attorney Preet Bharara in a statement.

Khobragade was charged with one count each of visa fraud and making false statements. She faces up to 15 years behind bars.

She pleaded not guilty before a magistrate judge in Manhattan federal court and was released on $250,000.

Khobragade’s lawyer, Daniel Arshack, said he plans to claim diplomatic immunity for his client.

Does as we say, not as we do!

Reactions: 2 people
Nov 2012
Gamma Solaris
The deadbeats are to the LEFT of the political divide. This is just one of the myriad of reasons why Obamacare's a dud: the Deadbeat Left thought the rich, avaricious, old, whiteguy, Republican bastards were going to cough up...not them! This lady feels $3.00 is PLENTY until some legislation comes into play that will shake someone else by the ankles...

Panther

Forum Staff
Jul 2013
North Texas
Equality is making the other suckers pay, especially when it's shills don't have too, while at the same time getting mostly a free pass from the rest of the MSM.

Just another reason why i find our politics and allegedly free press to be a morbidly sad joke.

Reactions: 1 person
Dec 2013
Venus
what in the actual fuck?

I don't think I would trust a nanny that only charges $3 an hour?

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
I guess she is not in that state (a moderator whom shall remain unnamed) told me had a $15/hour minimum wage.